General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

For Travellers out of Bristol Airport

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 21 Jan 2015 17:04

Or anybody living in the area.

I am looking for a reasonable priced hotel/guest house for my dearly beloved in March near to Bristol airport. He is flying out early morning 6.25am so not bothered about the breakfast side. He will need to be able to walk to get an evening meal. Wifi is a bonus but not a must. In room coffee tray is a definite MUST :-D :-D,
I would prefer to spend less than 50quid as I have already paid his stay (center parcs) and flights as a Chrissy pressie. (this is his birthday present)

Anybody stayed at any they can recommend. ?

Ann in Glos if you are about do you have any idea ?
I haven´t put this on FB as my sis in law is on my friends and she doesn´t know he is arriving for her big birthday week-end. :-D

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 21 Jan 2015 17:24

Lulsgate is miles out of town on a poor road so there is not a lot of choice. Given the timings I guess Holiday Inn is yr only realistic option meeting yr needs but it will be over £ 50.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 21 Jan 2015 17:40

If you don't want the usual chains, try airbnb.co.uk. As they tend to be someone's spare room, he'll probably have to arrange a taxi to the airport.

Have you looked through the listings on here?

http://www.bristolairport.co.uk/accommodation.aspx

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 21 Jan 2015 18:08

Thanks for the replies Det I hadn´t looked at that site, and don´t really want to go to a room in a house, would rather a small guest house. I have checked the net and there are a few near, Acorns in Blackwell was one so was Stoneleigh (the cheapest) but it is a shared bathroom and to be honest taking only hand luggage he ain´t gonna pack a dressing gown :-0. Trouble is I don´t know the area well enough so don´t know if a small village can provide an evening meal for him.

Rollo I have looked at Holiday Inn, Premier, and Ibis and discounted all of them for distance away from the airport. I expect him to have to cab and he he I am not paying for that but I don´t intend on making him pay a fortune for a cab fare ! :-D

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 21 Jan 2015 18:20

Many pubs do meals. It's the only way they can survive. Check the map then look up the name of any pub in case they have a website.
Another alternative would be to order in a pizza, Chinese or Indian then beg the guest house owners for a borrow of utensils.

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 21 Jan 2015 18:26

lol Det I will end up doing that I was just hoping that somebody here could say Yeah we stayed here and it was *******

I was going to book the hotel tonight and put the booking form in his card tomorrow but I think I had better let him decide,
Oh well it´s the thought that counts :-D my excuse

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 21 Jan 2015 18:35

It'll be a wonderful gift regardless of where he stays for his final night

If the messaging system is working, send Ann a PM. She might be able to get back to you before you have to lick the envelope.

Our friends sometimes fly out of Bristol, but they use the Holiday Inn which you've discounted.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 21 Jan 2015 18:41

The road into Bristol is terrible and even early in the morning busy. Around Lulsgate it is hilly with little villages with B&B mostly focused on tourists for the Mendips and Chew Lake. Flying in from Paris on a foggy morning can be quite thrilling.

I don't think you will find anywhere close with everything you want esp coffee at 6:30am and early checkout. There is a hotel at Easton in Gordano which is ok but about 15 mins taxi from the airport. Likely fare £ 15-20. The B*Bs don't usually do evening meals.

At a guess you are going to need to adjust yr budget.

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 21 Jan 2015 19:09

Rollo I guess the budget will have to be adjusted and his flight leaves at 6.25 am so his check out is the middle of the night well 4am. I know B&B´s don´t do evening meals which is why I needed to know if the villages had pubs that catered for food. He will be leaving Center Parcs before lunch and not arriving home until lunch the next day Knowing he doesn´t do breakfast , I think I had better find him somewhere to eat the night before.

Det I know Ann will find this but I did want to warn her not to mention on FB. and thank you for your comment about the gift I know he will be pleased and surprised as when I told him that I had paid the flights and the stay he was amazed so we joked he had to find his 2 night hotels and travel fares. Duh I had already arranged for his 1st night at his best mates so it only left the final night.
Been an expensive pressie as part of his cost to center parcs is his share for his big sis´s 50th birthday pressie. her stay and a pamper session. We also have the nieces 16th birthday to pay (same weekend) which is her dry suit diving course.

Families somebody remind me why I got married ;-) ;-) :-D :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 21 Jan 2015 20:38

Uzzi, I have only just seen this. As we are going to have the same problem T is just off to see if he can find anything so I will get back to you. Can't think Gordano would be any good quite a way at that time of the morning. T did look before so will check what he found then. How is he getting there the night before?

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 21 Jan 2015 20:56

Jac check out Bristol airport accommodation booking.com There is one called Hathway House ten minutes walk pub opposite but he says there are about five there.

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 21 Jan 2015 20:58

Ann I am not sure, as he has to come from Warminster he will train into Bristol and then I guess cab to where ever he is staying. I do like the look of The Acorns which is so very close in Blackwell Village (.1 of a mile) although it is 59quid for the night it does free 24hr airport transfer. But does Blackwell have somewhere that he could get a meal ?
I will wait to hear from you and see what you and T have found. :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 21 Jan 2015 21:22

You missed my post Uzzi

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 21 Jan 2015 21:35

Can't locate Acorns or Blackwell.

Graham

Graham Report 21 Jan 2015 21:54

I think that should be Backwell; not Blackwell. ;-)

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 21 Jan 2015 21:56

Thanks zgraham, no wonder we couldn't find it. Where exactly is it located?

Graham

Graham Report 21 Jan 2015 21:59

On the A370 near Nailsea. There's a nice pub there called The George.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 21 Jan 2015 22:08

Can't be where Acorns is then as that is only 5 to 10 minutes from the airport.

Graham

Graham Report 21 Jan 2015 22:10

The Old Farmhouse in Nailsea is pretty good if you don't mind getting a taxi.

http://oldfarmhouse-nailsea.co.uk/

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 21 Jan 2015 22:11

Uzzi check my post at 20.56. Nearly my bedtime, maybe you have already gone.