General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

holidays

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Iris

Iris Report 31 Jan 2015 11:14

has anyone booked theirs yet, hubby has just paid deposit on ours , for mid may ....so come on ,where are you going or want to go this year , lets think of warmer times ...iris

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 31 Jan 2015 12:13

Can't identify a period when we might be able to go just yet as there are so many things up in the air.

If we avoid the school holidays, we're probably left with the end of September into beginning of October. If we were after warmth, we'd be looking at the Canary Isle or Cyprus.

The alternative is to grab a few days somewhere in the UK but as we aren't (at the moment) able to book in advance, most of the good deals would be gone. Of course, that means that there is no guarentee of good weather. In the UK, can you ever??

So where are you going Iris - roughly of course!

martynsue

martynsue Report 31 Jan 2015 13:00

oh yes,off to crete early july,hubby retired last week so it is all paid for cannot wait.

Iris

Iris Report 31 Jan 2015 14:24

we are going on a river cruise taking in , the dutch bulb fields , Amsterdam , the Ziderzee (sp) and so on .....+++DetEcTive+++ you will love Cyprus , we went there many years ago in October , it was the hottest October they had had for years ,almost to hot for them , by midday we were wilting ..iris .

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 31 Jan 2015 15:30

Spring holiday a week in South Cornwall. April 2 weeks in Spain. Could only book those after Christmas as until then our lives were a bit uncertain with son in law's illness. Sadly now we are able to go away due to the fact that he passed away just after Christmas. Daughter is coming with us in April.

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 31 Jan 2015 15:55

Detective, make it early October as later it's school hols but early November is still warm mid 20s with sea temperatures 22 C and much cheaper. May have to put up with some rain but it dries quickly. It begins to green up and we have our second spring then. :-)

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 31 Jan 2015 16:23

Tied to the school holidays.

Our first holiday in 4 years - Ibiza (Es Canar) end of July.

This time as a family of three as son now lives in Loughborough whilst hes in uni.

Can't wait! :-D

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 31 Jan 2015 16:25

Ours was all booked and paid for before Christmas.

2 weeks in April in The Algarve. We went to Lanzarote last year and Tenerife in 2013, so thought we'd have a change.

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 31 Jan 2015 17:37

One week in sunny Sheffield in June :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

BarbinSGlos

BarbinSGlos Report 31 Jan 2015 17:53

I have just had 2 weeks in fabulous Barbados,
my second visit and a beautiful island :-D :-D

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 31 Jan 2015 21:59

Off to iowa in May for two weeks to see an old school pal again, booked and paid for it last July.

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 31 Jan 2015 22:26

If nobody minds, could you also tell me the code to your burglar alarm to save me having to smash a window? It just makes things slightly easier now that I know when your house will be empty and through the power of Google can also discover where you live.

On second thoughts, many people either use as a password or as a prompt for their password their mother's maiden name so I can probably get in unnoticed anyway. If it is not your mother's maiden name then it is probably a memorable date, name of current/first/deceased Jack Russell, daughter's middle name etc etc - all widely available on this website of course and I could always double check on faceache.

If you leave the family silver by the front door I will try to make as little mess as possible.

Just think!

Linda

Linda Report 1 Feb 2015 00:53

Off home to n Cornwall in April taking my youngest daughter and family I know there will be tears when we go over the boarder there always is family does not understand the pull that Cornwall has for me

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 1 Feb 2015 03:23

not yet booked .................

but we plan on a trip across Canada in autumn, going probably as far as Quebec City, and we'll do it all by train ................. that means 3 trains each way

Two of the trains each way are daytime, but the third is 4 nights and 5 days ...... in a very comfortable sleeper cabin and with fantastic meals.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 1 Feb 2015 03:24

Linda, I was like that when I went back to Cornwall after a gap of 30 years, had been there three times with a partner, but we split up, then o.h. took me in 1997, he still talks about the cheer I gave as we crossed the boarder. The woman we rented an apartment off still writes to us and asks us back, we went twice, just outside Falmouth, but it's a long way to drive now.

We have a week from today in Sheringham for o.h's 61st bday, then two weeks at end May/June (well 15 nights actually) back in Tideswell, our new favourite place, to catch up with the person having a week in sunny Sheffield. All booked and deposit paid.

I want to try and get back to Llanelli soon as my relative I visit there is poorly, he is a lovely man, my late Dad's cousin, aged 85 cancer has returned to do it's worst. I want to see him again, he is on chemo to give him more time as he has another greatgrandchild due midsummer.

My cousin in Bucks wants me to visit her again and there is a cousin in Sussex asking when I am going back to see her, most of my remaining cousins are in their 70s so would be good to see them again, several years in between visits. O.h. hasn't got much time off left, so I will have to do some travelling on my own. My friend in Germany is over soon, and wants me to go visit her this summer, she has a guest flat and we both have fm so will pace each other well. She has an apartment here in Norwich and visits for several weeks at a time, two or three times a year so we do see each other. Then there's another visit I promised....... has anyone got some energy to spare?

Sue, I loved Crete, we should have gone back a couple of years ago but o.h. got knocked off his bike and we had to cance. Which part are you going to?

Lizx

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 1 Feb 2015 09:51

I don't hink anyone has put actual dates. Or if anyone is staying in the house while we are away.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 1 Feb 2015 09:55

My goodness Liz! You have got a lot planned. My friend's a bit like that but in their case they are trying to spend the kids inheritance while they can.

It's lovely reading about where people are planning to. It might give us all some new ideas.

Rather than worrying about burglars, I was more concerned for readers knashing their teeth because they weren't going away. As long as you're mobile put on your tourist hat and look at your town/region from that perspective. With an all day bus pass or half a tank of petrol there'll be an awful lot you can do on a sunny day :-)

PiersFromKent

PiersFromKent Report 1 Feb 2015 13:18

We are doing a 'house swap' in October with a family member who lives in Tuscany. He is close to Florence and we are within easy travelling distance from London - so both parties are really pleased with the arrangement :-).

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 1 Feb 2015 15:16

Don't bother with our house eRRolSheep it won't be empty, but can leave valuables if you like and if we have any :-P

Iris

Iris Report 1 Feb 2015 16:03

it looks as if we are going to cover a fare bit of the world between us, may you all have a good time and fine weather ..iris :-D :-D