General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Bedding

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 2 Feb 2015 18:05

I was very interested to find that my MIL uses a bottom sheet, top sheet and then a duvet. As she said she only has to change the sheets each week and she has trouble changing double duvet covers anyway. Thinking back my Mum also had a sheet on under the duvet.

It makes sense to me although I would probably wrap the sheet around my legs ! :-0 In winter I have a duvet and throw, then the throw gets dumped. At the start of the warmer weather I do tend to throw the duvet off so a sheet would be welcome. Once the duvet has gone I use a cover and throw. and then just the cover.

Never gave the wash and changing a thought but MIL could be right :-D

What do you do ?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 2 Feb 2015 18:15

We do that on the spare bed - it saves fighting with the duvet after an overnight guest has left.
On our own, its just the duvet and cover for most of the year.

Iris

Iris Report 2 Feb 2015 18:21

UzziInSunshine
I'm like your mil, 2 sheets and a duvet ....iris :-D

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 2 Feb 2015 18:41

Same here 2 sheets and duvet..

Can't be changing king size duvet cover every week,too big and heavy.

Yes I know you will say ,,change duvet size but always had a king size.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 2 Feb 2015 19:01

same here, bottom sheet, top sheet and duvet

We picked up on the idea after staying in B&Bs in New Zealand in 1992/93 ...............

it seemed an eminently sensible idea to us :-)

We have king duvets, but stuff them in queen sized covers ................ makes them seem fuller somehow

For ourselves, we change the duvet cover every 4-6 weeks, the spare room bed much less frequently (it's 4 months since that be was used anyway :-) )

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 2 Feb 2015 19:04

I also have 2 sheets and a king size duvet (on a double bed - it hides the junk underneath :-( )

But I change my sheets and duvet cover every week.
The reason I have the top sheet is because at least one cat sleeps on my bed, and I've found that nomatter how often the duvet cover is washed, there will be at least one tickly bit of fur.

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 2 Feb 2015 19:06

I like the idea and have every intention of adopting it :-D

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 2 Feb 2015 19:12

We too have bottom sheet ,top sheet and duvet

Plus we have a king size duvet on our double beds as we find the doubles too small

I started using the top sheet because OH wraps himself in and constantly turning he would hog all the duvet .many the time I woke up with a bare back whilst lots of the duvet on his side was hanging on the floor . The top sheet stops this.

I change the sheets and pilowcases every week and the duvet cover about every 4 th week or sooner if it looks a bit wrinkled

Annx

Annx Report 2 Feb 2015 19:59

Same here, I've always had a top sheet and duvet with a fitted bottom sheet. We never have more than a 4.5 tog duvet all year round and in the summer you can push the duvet down and have just a thin sheet over you. The duvet cover gets washed every couple of months which means it keeps it's new look longer which is good when you have matching curtains.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 2 Feb 2015 20:01

Yes we have two sheets plus duvet. All for less washing.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 2 Feb 2015 20:36

same for us, bottom & top sheets & duvet/doona. I find it difficult to get the doona cover on and off., and wouldn't want to do it every week.

But we only use the doona for a few months (over our winter), then just the cover......... but at this time of year the doona and the cover are in the cupboard........ and most nights we don't even need a top sheet.

:-)

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 2 Feb 2015 20:49

Just a duvet cover (king-size) and bottom sheet for us - I don't mind changing the cover and, if OH helps, it's easy. I do Mum's too as she can't manage it now. Was hoping she might get a single bed when she moved into her flat but she prefers the double, again with a king-size duvet. I wash all her bedding too so have 2 lots to iron, though I don't iron fitted sheets...

Island

Island Report 2 Feb 2015 20:57

Not another thread about bedding! :-0 :-0

You lot are obsessed with your sheets! LOL

Does anyone use the Burrito method to put the duvet cover on? :-D :-D

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 2 Feb 2015 22:15

I heard (a long time ago) about a man who was "batching" for a couple of weeks while his wife went to visit relatives.

When she got home he told her it was a difficult job getting the fitted sheet on......... he put a duvet cover on the mattress! Difficult? I'd find that impossible!

:-D

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 2 Feb 2015 22:25

Just revamped my bedroom.
All new furniture, king size bed and new bedding
Have never used a top sheet but, I think I'll buy one now..

It's only been 5 days but, already the lovely new, brilliant white bedding could do with a wash!

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 2 Feb 2015 23:14

I have a beautiful white Swiss broderie doona cover.

It's now in the cupboard.

Because DH kept sitting on it.

It's amazing :-( how many grass & mud stains he brings home after a golf game.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 2 Feb 2015 23:41

:-( :-( :-(

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 2 Feb 2015 23:47

Of course you could always go the hotel route ..................... the 3 sheet or triple sheet system

http://www.johnbatman.com.au/Products/Beddings/Triple-Sheeting.aspx

This does away with the duvet cover altogether ...........

sometimes advertised as the "heavenly bed"

A fitted sheet, a top sheet, the duvet or comforter or blanket, and another sheet over the duvet ..........

in effect, the duvet is sandwiched between 2 sheets.

All sheets easily washed ........................ and is considered to be much more hygienic in the hotel situation, where duvet covers may not be changed between guests (you'd always hope they are, but research shows you'd be wrong)

Every hotel that we have stayed in for the last 2 years has had some form of this system. Motels have not yet adopted the system.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 3 Feb 2015 00:03

Always use fitted bottom sheet, plain top sheet tucked in well at the bottom, then kingsize duvet (on double bed as no room in bedroom for kingsize bed which is longer and my preference) then on top if it's really cold, and because we have no central heating, a large woollen blanket which falls to the floor, preventing draughts.

I wash sheets weekly or every ten days depending on time of year and my energy levels and duvet cover every couple of months.

When I go away I usually take a pair of old flannalette sheets in winter to use next to my body and cotton sheets in summer as I don't trust hotel laundry, put them on top of linen provided. Separate beds when away, o.h. isn't fussed like me so he is happy to go with linen provided..

Don't take sheets abroad.

Lizxx

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 3 Feb 2015 00:15

That sounds like a good idea Sylvia.

I'm always shaking the doona/duvet to get the stuffing out of one end :-(

Most hotels in this neck of the woods don't use duvets...... two sheets & a thin cotton blanket is usually enough in winter, especially with split system aircon.