General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

TODAYS DEBATE-- Micro chipping

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 13 Feb 2015 12:04

Do you think pets should be micro chipped
I myself think they should be

AND SOON ALL DOGS HAVE TO BE BY LAW

But what gets me mad is
not al councils scan road kills
Which I think they should; :-( :-( :-(

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 13 Feb 2015 12:19

Chipped, licenced, insured and sterilised (unless you have a breeders' licence).

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 13 Feb 2015 12:26

I have always promoted snip and chip :-D :-D

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 13 Feb 2015 12:26

Absolutely !!

And road kills should be scanned and the owners informed .

Enforcing though could be a problem because it would rely on the animal being taken to a vet to get it done.

We got our cat Mirabelle from the Cats Protection League aged 7 months and she had been spayed and micro chipped.

if folks get their pet from a home bred animal then how is anyone going to enforce them being done in both ways :-(

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 13 Feb 2015 12:34

Yes I had this discussion with our council they had a very vague policy on it in effect when they felt like it!

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 13 Feb 2015 12:36

There is nothing worse than loosing a pet
and not knowing where it is or what's happened to it

somebody from our cat rescue
lost her cat 5 years ago and a few months ago
she came in to the vets as a stray and they where reunited

fortunately she was spayed
so never resulted in a feral cat population boom :-D :-D

Island

Island Report 13 Feb 2015 12:38

Chipped, snipped and tagged is my boy. Very much loved too :-D

I often see lost pet appeals on FB, sadly too many are not tagged and chipped.
OK, our boy doesn't wear his collar at home but we made sure he'd have no escape route before he moved in with us.

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 13 Feb 2015 12:42

it breaks my heart when I see pets missing :-( :-(

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 13 Feb 2015 13:01

I agree with all the above. It makes sense to have them chipped, as does scanning road killed pets.

Dermot

Dermot Report 13 Feb 2015 13:24

Micro-Chipping humans would get rid of those old-fashioned & ridiculous badges seen dangling around the neck on a piece of string.

Tawny

Tawny Report 13 Feb 2015 13:27

I have two male cats both snipped and chipped. The cat flap we have also reads the microchips. So not only do we have a way of getting them back if they go missing but we can keep unwanted friends out the house too.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 13 Feb 2015 13:30

where do you get a cat flap that reads micro chips please? my lovely pussums is snipped and chipped, but next door's cat keeps coming in and eating his food

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 13 Feb 2015 14:08

Always get mine snipped, but haven't had the ones I have now chipped!
I had a couple of cats chipped in the past - both disappeared without trace :-(
As far as I'm aware, one went to live on the allotments, the other was stolen.

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 13 Feb 2015 17:53

I wish everybody was as responsible all of you x :-D :-D

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 13 Feb 2015 18:02

All 4 of our cats snipped and chipped. 2 toms and 2 Queens We would be heartbroken if any went missing. All pets should be snipped as not only unwanted babies they are much cleaner in habits especially the Toms.

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 13 Feb 2015 18:10

My boy is chipped and snipped and also tagged,
and also keep up with his booster every year :-)

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 13 Feb 2015 18:15

Agree with all.
Mine are chipped and spayed. They are not insured as no insurer will take them on at 13 and 10 yrs plus an epileptic. They are not tagged as they have harnesses and not collars. Although I could name tag their harnesses the same way that I have their jab tags on there. *Good Thinking will do that* Although if ever my dogs are off it means they have slipped their harness.

I agree that road kill should be scanned and I do wish that owners who allow their dogs to roam the streets would show jab tags on collars, actually I wish they wouldn´t let their animals roam the streets but that´s another debate.

As it is ALL domestics pets in Spain should be micro chipped as well as vaccinated against rabies.

Island

Island Report 13 Feb 2015 18:45

I wish someone would invent an anti f*rt chip :-0 :-D

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 13 Feb 2015 19:05

;-) ;-) ;-)

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 13 Feb 2015 19:41

Now those with the Chipped and Snipped we are talking about you pets aren't we! ;-)