General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

First Job When You Left School

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Barbra

Barbra Report 16 Feb 2015 10:48

I worked in A sm confectioner`s shop in the Bakery started at 7am .=4pm hard work but i loved it Didnt work Tuesday day release to college .Happy Days . :-D :-D

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 16 Feb 2015 10:53

I worked in a supermarket for 6 weeks
it was awful

then went to work in a vets :-D :-D

Mersey

Mersey Report 16 Feb 2015 10:56

I was an office junior (Gopher) at an electrical wholesalers in Liverpool....loved it <3

Barbra

Barbra Report 16 Feb 2015 11:02

Hya Joy. Mersey Glad you found the right job :-) In our Day you could pick & choose a lot more work & options then ..I nearly went into Hardressing .? & my late Dad wanted me to join the police .as he did work for a while in the force .wasnt for me though ..Confectioner Then a carer before retiring .Gorden Bennet .doesnt time fly . ;-) ;-) :-D

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 16 Feb 2015 11:04

Mine was as a retail management trainee at a posh clothes store in Piccadilly, London. That lasted for about 2 years until it got too boring.

Dermot

Dermot Report 16 Feb 2015 11:08

RBS for 18 months - 1968/69. Known then as 'The National Bank' before it subsequently morphed into a few other names.

Monthly Salary: £74.6s 8p. gross.

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 16 Feb 2015 11:12

My first job was with Scottish Telecommunications Board which, during my time, became BT.
I stayed for 15years before leaving to become a full time mum. <3 <3 <3

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 16 Feb 2015 11:17

6 weeks in a factory which manufactured and packed vitamin supplements etc., prior to going to college. It was hard work but good fun.

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 16 Feb 2015 11:20

Doing chemical analysis of the electroplating vats for 19 months followed by just over 5 years in WRAF.

Thoroughly enjoyed both jobs. :-)

Barbra

Barbra Report 16 Feb 2015 11:25

Blimey Dermot .what did you do with all that money :-D I remember keeping my first weeks wage.it was a great feeling .all for me . Aw GL i stayed home for a few yrs i was there for my two sons when they came home from school .~~~~s Sheila & Pat see you later :-D :-D :-D

PiersFromKent

PiersFromKent Report 16 Feb 2015 11:25

Assistant Auditor at a NHS Trust..... I lasted 1 yr and 1 month ... Enough said :-)

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 16 Feb 2015 11:26

Gopher for London Transport then later a PA for same. Then got married and left to have kids :-D

Barbra

Barbra Report 16 Feb 2015 11:30

Ha Ha Piers .nough said :-D ;-) ~~~~Lg :-D really must get to the shops thanks for all your comments :-D :-D :-D :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 16 Feb 2015 11:46

Went to college, then spent 18 months temping for Alfred Marks in Portsmouth/Southsea.
Temp pay for under 18's was better than a permanent job, back then.
I knew the manager of Alfred Marks (my boyfriend was his lodger), so I asked for jobs no-one else wanted.
Gave up the 'putting walnuts on walnut whips', followed by 'putting the 100's & 1000's on mallow cones after 1 day. Had a few other jobs, but spent most of my time as a printer in St James' psychiatric hospital - and loved it!
Then got a permanent job in the Dockyard.
Stuck it out for 2 years. Saw the corruption (on the civilian side), 'dobbed in' the general manager, and went to Shetland :-D

Phyll

Phyll Report 16 Feb 2015 11:54

I worked at Hove Town Hall for the Magistrates Clerks. Got the sack after 4 weeks cause I caught one of the Senior Clerks having s*x with his secretary in the office. Lousy job anyway.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 16 Feb 2015 13:12

Worked for 6 weeks as office junior for a Shipyard. But I had already passed the Civil service exam so after 6 weeks left the shipyard and went to work for The Admiralty Expense Accounts office in Portsmouth calculating the wages (weekly) of workers at dockyard outstations (i.e. RN establishments in the area, and at that time there were a lot. Liked the job except Thursdays when we counted the cash and put it manually into envelopes (dirty job) and all had to be balanced before we could go home. Incidentally, we were rarely late. Pay was roughly £3.10 a week. Stayed there for 5 years until a couple of weeks before daughter was born (she was early). Stayed home with the children doing various party plan type jobs until I had been home for 15 years, worked part time term times, school and WRVS office, then after a couple of years went full time in a garage office for 6 months. then worked for the Finance department of a District council.

Husband had to move areas with job so after 5 years with local gov. moved areas and worked for a construction company while waitinf for a civil service job. Hated the corruption I saw in the construction company (One of my jobs was checking petrol bills). Got back into civil service RAF this time and stayed there from 1982 until I retired in 2000 having been promoted twice. Loved working for the military because you knew where you stood. :-) :-)

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 16 Feb 2015 13:23

shorthand typist in Liverpool Victoria Insurance office - £3.5.0d a week!!

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 16 Feb 2015 13:24

First job junior shop assistant in Isaac Benzies
in a new department they opened up for fashions
for teenagers. :-)

Dermot

Dermot Report 16 Feb 2015 13:31

AnnCardiff - I worked for LV+ in their Exeter's branch office. Currently enjoying the benefits of their staff pension scheme.

Sally

Sally Report 16 Feb 2015 13:36

I worked as a dressmaker in bond st London at the white house for £4 5 a week I could gave worked for norman hartnell but he only faid £2 stayed for a few years until most of my waged went on fares so then I worked for a b c bakers

sally w <3