General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Is it me? re the 3 teenage girls going to Syria

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rambling

Rambling Report 21 Feb 2015 16:08

Two of them are 15, under age for pretty much everything in this country...why are they allowed to go through airport controls without ( seemingly) any proof of parental consent?

Wouldn't you think that children travelling without an adult would at very least have to be carrying a consent letter?

:-S

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 21 Feb 2015 16:14

well i too thought where are their parents

Underage children I thought had to have some parental consent to buy a ticket.

Maybe not tho if anyone can buy and pay for a ticket and the person travelling has a valid passport.

Makes you think this is another loophole

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 21 Feb 2015 16:25

I thought that a child

now has to be accompanied by an adult :-D :-D

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 21 Feb 2015 16:25

I thought you had to be 16 for an adult passport?

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 21 Feb 2015 16:31

Apparently, according to the paper, children that look too young to travel alone are supposed to be checked. Turkish Airlines didn't check them.

Rambling

Rambling Report 21 Feb 2015 16:35

But surely they check the age on a passport? or perhaps they don't, it's so long since I flew...the last time was to LA and the US passport check was pretty stringent, but I can't remember what the procedure was like this end.

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 21 Feb 2015 16:44

you need a visa to get into turkey
and have they check your passport for age ect :-(

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 21 Feb 2015 16:57

Rose they look at the passport but how stringently I don't know regarding age. Not looking 15/16 I don't suppose they check my age too closely Just the photo. :-D :-D

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 21 Feb 2015 17:12

Was there an adult in the background we don't know about?

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 21 Feb 2015 17:21

1) Who bought them the tickets????????

Don't people have to be over 18 to buy an airline ticket.

2) Who got them the Visas,,,

Surely you can't get them on the plane like for the USA.

3) Surely the parents must have had suspicions when they said they were going to school,,,,WHAT with massive bags like they all had...

Wasn't it half term in London.??

All questions that need answering by all the parents on statements to the police in
the police station under caution.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 21 Feb 2015 17:22

Who knows Pat, maybe the police are looking at CCTV to check. It is possible of course.

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 21 Feb 2015 17:45

you used to be able to pay for a visa on landing
before you collected your luggage

now you have to get it before you go on line

Stray is there now and that's what they had to do :-D

Kay????

Kay???? Report 21 Feb 2015 18:55

All children now must have a passport in their own right. ,but under the age of 16 still come under parental responsibility..although they can travel alone,

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 21 Feb 2015 19:53

Maybe its just as easy to leave our country
as it is to get in ;-) ;-)

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 21 Feb 2015 19:53

Who cares, once they get there and see the reality of how women are treated, they will not stay too long.

These are young 'western' girls of Bangladeshi descent. Even if they came from very strict backgrounds life out therr will be a culture shock to them.

They probably got false passports. And none of them really looks that young.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 21 Feb 2015 20:18

One of the reports suggested that one girl might have been using her older sisters passport. That would have covered the accompanying adult aspect.
The newspaper did show the PP image; the sisters looked similar to each other.

As a different girl from the same school went to Syria last year, one does wonder if she had been in contact and encouraged them/facilitated the journey.

Teenagers see everything in black and white & think they are invincible. As DC says, they are in for a terrible reality check.

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 21 Feb 2015 21:05

Children aged 12+ can travel without an adult on most airlines.

It's all about the money

:-(

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 21 Feb 2015 21:19

sadly I don't think they'll be back - they'll just get caught up in things and will be lost - so sad for their parents who obviously had no idea what they were about to do - why don't we have people on watch at airports to spot young girls like this?

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 22 Feb 2015 01:34

someone will get three of their 72 virgins before they become a martyr, methinks.....

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 22 Feb 2015 09:29

you may well be right there Bob :-(