General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Cyril Smith

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 17 Mar 2015 19:42

is everyone else as horrified as I am over the revelations that this piece of filth was sexually abusing children - and when I learnt today that the late Barbara Castle had given a list of prominent MPs who were in a paedophile ring, to a journalist and that journalist was visited by Home Office personnel; and threatened not to publish - how absolutely dreadful and unbelievable - I hope the truth comes out over this

sadly, like Saville, another one who is dead and cannot be brought to justice

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 17 Mar 2015 19:45

I am shocked every time the news comes on
those poor kids :-( :-(

I hope when he got the heaven
god slammed those pearly gates shut in his face ;-)

Mersey

Mersey Report 17 Mar 2015 19:53

Makes me sick to the stomach :-|

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 17 Mar 2015 19:55

there was even an office at Westminster for the PIE - Paedophile Exchange Information - and there was a lobby of MPs who were trying to get the age of consent reduced so they could legally carry on with their sordid activities

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 17 Mar 2015 20:09

Well it is indeed very bad behaviour but Cyril Smith was outed a while back - there is even a book about his peccadillos - while rumours about tenements in Vauxhall and upmarket places such as Dolphin Square were swirling around even in the 1980s and before that in all likelihood.

"Shocking" means not only bad but newly discovered bad and even the steam press have got around to some sort of sketch over the last year or so even if they are not yet painting by numbers.

What to me is shocking is that those still alive remain subject to the Official Secrets Act in that for anything they do say they will have to justify that what is said and, importantly, to whom it is said, will put them inside the current "take us on trust" assurances.

oh yeah would you risk your pension ?

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 17 Mar 2015 20:15

apparently the journalist was told that if he published anything he could face two years in jail - also revelations could bring down the government

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 17 Mar 2015 20:16

I think I read somewhere that one of the female opposition cabinet members worked for PIE, possibly in a legal capacity.

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 17 Mar 2015 20:26

It was Harriet Harman, she was the Legal Officer of NCCL, of which PIE was affiliated to this pressure group. She also has several motoring offences to her name. ( I know this is irrelevant to the subject, I just thought I would throw it in)

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 17 Mar 2015 20:29

I say sack the bleddin lot

and those that have died dig them up and sack them to
its disgusting :-( :-(

Dermot

Dermot Report 17 Mar 2015 20:32

Politicians have an occupational hazard in that they believe they are indispensable. They also have a pathological unwillingness to admit to making a mistake, let alone committing a crime.

In politics, you are obliged to praise a colleague to the hilt and show God-like respect when questioned about their competence. However, as soon as a damning report comes along that highlights that person's inadequacies or peccadilloes, they are manoeuvred towards the exit.

Alas, a few die too soon to avoid an unplanned exit.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 17 Mar 2015 20:44

I find the whole thing frightening - that journalist had no one to appeal to - it smacks of some seedy South American republic - don't expect this sort of thing to be happening in the UK - let's hope there's no cover up and we get all the details in time

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 17 Mar 2015 21:04

Ann its been covered up for hundreds of years :-( :-(

money talks sadly or in some cases money silences :-( :-(

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 17 Mar 2015 21:16

Amazing how the privileged seem to think they can have/get what they want at very little cost to themselves, but a terrible cost to others'

I believe the thieving amongst MP's- AKA false expense claims - is the tip of today's iceberg of various corruption, of many sorts, and I include abuse.
Very few were actually tried and imprisoned for stealing - unlike if they'd been on Benefits.
So, the privileged are still getting away with it!

Theresa (Cork, Ireland) 157164

Theresa (Cork, Ireland) 157164 Report 18 Mar 2015 01:41

My dad was a copper who tried to speak out.

I can fully understand why those who have 'knowledge' have kept quiet.

Dad isnt around to speak out now but I can hear him. 52 years old and both parents living............. Im not at all surprised. Devastated that his stories werent listened to more like.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 18 Mar 2015 02:51

have you all forgotten the moral climate that existed for probably hundreds of years up to the 1950s and 1960s???

Doctors were above reproach .................. you never argued with what they said, you never agitated to get treatment or to get an earlier appointment, and they certainly would "never do that" and "you're lying if you say so", whatever "that" was.

Teachers were above reproach ................. you always addressed them as Mr / Miss / Mrs / Dr, you always treated them with respect, you never argued with them .............. and they certainly would "never do THAT", and "you're lying if you say so"

Priests ............ ditto

Policemen ............ ditto

Politicians ............... ditto

............ and I speak as someone who had an experience with a teacher, and who knew that he did more with other girls between the ages of 11 and 14.

but we couldn't tell anyone .............. they would not have believed us, and we would probably have been given some punishment, even by our own parents.

There were always rumours about various people, whether they be teachers priests, the lord of the manor, politician or whoever ....................... and warnings given to "keep out of the way of xxxxx". Older girls at my school warned new girls to be wary of Mr xxxxx

but warnings are easy to give ................... not so easy to keep out of the way of the men (or sometimes women )

so is it really so very surprising that all this is now coming out as "historic sex abuse"?

Of course it isn't .................. the sad thing is that so many of the accused are dead and will never answer to their crimes.

Ann ................... not only did that journalist have no-one to appeal to, neither did the victims, because it was the belief that people in authority would not have behaved like that

surely you knew that things were talked about, that things happened in school, and that you could not tell anyone, even your parents or other teachers???

If not, you were very lucky!

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 18 Mar 2015 05:37

Shocked? Only that's it's taken so long to come out in the mainstream media.

Surprised? No.

I'm a subscriber to Private Eye and I read about it in 1979.

http://www.private-eye.co.uk/smith-archive

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 18 Mar 2015 10:11

It sometimes bothers me that, whilst focussing on 'old' cases, today's perverts in 'high' places are getting away with it. today.

I find it strange that anything related to accusations of child abuse/corruption of any sort, amongst the privileged/Establishment takes so long before anything is resolved.

Dermot

Dermot Report 18 Mar 2015 10:42

In 1660, they had Oliver Cromwell's corpse dug up, hung in chains, and beheaded.

Just an idle thought - while awaiting George Osborne's words of financial wisdom!

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 18 Mar 2015 11:16

:-D :-D :-D :-D

Linda

Linda Report 18 Mar 2015 11:50

And the great Margaret Thatcher knew about it and done nothing about it in my eyes that makes her has guilty has the men who were these dreadful things.So what if it brought the government down?