General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Furniture polish

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 31 Mar 2015 02:46

I haven't been able to find my favourite polish for ages. I won't buy a popular one (in Oz, Mr S) because it contains kerosene :-( and the home-brand ones are awful.

There's a link on msn today, about household hints, including one for furniture polish :-)

Mix together 1 cup olive oil and 1/4 cup white vinegar

I tried it........ and it's brilliant!

I might add a few drops of lavender oil, make it smell nice.. like grandma's house :-D

Berniethatwas

Berniethatwas Report 31 Mar 2015 04:40

Bleeding eck!
That's like my recipe for salad dressing.
;-)
B

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 31 Mar 2015 04:49

lol....... drop the salad on the table and lick it off!

My salad dressing is similar, but I use cider vinegar, light olive oil, basil & black pepper.

:-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 31 Mar 2015 10:09

Bring it up with a bit of OO guage wire wool before you buff it and you will be AMAZED.

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 31 Mar 2015 19:08

LS.....you made me do some polishing......
I haven't done any since I came back from Oz beginning of month...so thought I'd try your method......it is good...I always used to like the polish in a tin that my daughter laughed about cos I called it ...elbow grease...!

I haven't been out of the house since Friday as I sprained my ankle and the weather was awful this morning ,so though Im a lot better I didn't feel like getting blown over...hence ...the polishing...so thanks....better than feeling guilty by sitting around!,

:-S ;-)

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 31 Mar 2015 21:41

Polish in a tin? You don't mean a spray can? I haven't seen polish in a tin for years, wish I could find it.

I think I'll stick to the oil & vinegar, it does a good job....... and I know there are no horrible chemicals in it.

I'll make sure I write on the bottle, in case I get it mixed up with the salad dressing........ I don't want the furniture smelling of garlic :-D

I hope your ankle gets better soon.

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 31 Mar 2015 22:50

I was talking about the wax polish you used to get in a tin...I used to have a great big tall tin when I had a guest house that was a purple colour and had a lavender smell....not spray polish..

I have used spray polish,but I don't think its good having all the droplets in the air!

I'm not keen on spray deodorant either...when my late OH used it I could smell it and breathe it everywhere...he was generous with it.

I agree the oil and vinegar seems to have done a good job....and I suppose the oil is good for the wood.

My ankle is much better thankyou...may go out tomorrow if the wind has dropped...and I have our band practice tomorrow evening and don't want to miss that! :-)

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 31 Mar 2015 23:28

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Antiquax-Lavender-Wax-Polish-100ml/dp/B003Z2LBKI/ref=sr_1_13?
7s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1427840861&sr=1-13&keywords=antiquax

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 31 Mar 2015 23:30

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=antiquax&tag=googhydr-
21&index=garden&hvadid=23269907929&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=s&hvrand=
269292075511841611&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_5wq0o04xp5_e

Sharron

Sharron Report 31 Mar 2015 23:51

You can get it in DIY stores and my tin came from a lavender farm.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 1 Apr 2015 00:49

When I occasionally polish my furniture, I use beeswax.

I've had the same tin for years :-\

I find that having 'stuff' on the furniture stops the dust settling on it (the furniture) and so lessens the need to polish :-D
Bit of dust? Move the 'stuff' and replace with dust free 'stuff' :-D

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 1 Apr 2015 01:32

I've heard that using a dryer sheet (even a used one) on furniture will stop the dust sticking (anti-static dryer sheet).

We don't get too much dust here out in the country, I remember having to dust several times a week when we lived in cities. Not being fan of housework, it was SO annoying! Once a year we get awful dust, when the farmers burn the sugar, but I keep the windows shut.

I'll keep looking for "real" polish, meanwhile I'll use the "salad dressing".

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 1 Apr 2015 12:50

Since 'acquiring' 3 cats, the dust has increased.
They are the only cats I've had, who have the ability to walk in from the garden with muddy paws, walk through the kitchen, over the rug in the living room, up the (carpeted) stairs, over bedroom rugs, and STILL manage to leave muddy pawprints on the windowsills/beds :-(

One has longish fur. I have bare floorboards/laminate flooring with large rugs. The amount of fur clumps wafted to the edge of the rooms/behind radiators is incredible!!
In fact, there's so much, I'm amazed she has any fur left!!

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 1 Apr 2015 16:40

I have just googled "beeswax polish australia" and it's come up with several alternative sources. A lot are for a beeswax cream, but this one looks like the real thing.

http://furniturecareproducts.com.au/furniture-wax/

Graham

Graham Report 1 Apr 2015 16:44

I saw a polish shop the other day. At least, that was what is was called. But most of the stuff they sell isn't even polish. I don't know what a lot of the stuff is. All the labels are in a foreign language. :-S

:-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 1 Apr 2015 17:18

:-D :-D :-D Graham

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 4 Apr 2015 09:57

that reminds me........

we saw a man walking down the road, and he had a great long pole on his shoulder

We asked......... are you a pole vaulter?

He said....... No, I'm German, but how did you know my name is Walter?

Sharron

Sharron Report 4 Apr 2015 10:18

I wonder if they sold polish polish in that shop.

Graham

Graham Report 4 Apr 2015 13:08

So the polish poles can polish their poles? :-S

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 4 Apr 2015 13:21

How many more silver cups can a polish silver cup polisher polish compared to a brass polisher polishing brass cups? and a French polish polisher polishing French polished furniture?