General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Just had a big fright

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 17 Apr 2015 12:18

Was sitting downstairs doing my iPad searching around and heard a series of bangs of things falling .
Called up to hubby are you ok only got a muffled response so brought the chairlift around from its sitting position at the top of the stairs so I could go up ASAP

Bathroom door was closed so called again as I went are you ok ????

Again a muffled reply but of NO

Had to unlock the door from the outside to find hubby on his back stretched across the floor with his head wedged between the bidet and the sink cupboard . He had slipped getting out the shower as he had left something on the floor and he stepped on it and lost his balance as he got out

Tried to get him up as he was adamant I wasn't to call 999, Managed to get him out the bathroom to the top landing but no way we going to get him up so called 999 with him getting cross with me

A paramedic was here in ten minutes and about 10 mins later an ambulance.

He was checked over thoroughly and before they tried to lift him they put his pants and vest on to hide his modesty and then the two big guys got him up and onto his chairlift and took him downstairs.

They waited around for the paramedic to say whether he needed to go to hospital ,which it was decided he didn't need too ,and then left .

The lady paramedic was lovely gave a him a thorough checking over and made sure he wasn't going into shock or anything before then leaving with the instruction to call if he looked like he was having any reactive problems

Told hubby in no uncertain terms too that I mustnt attempt to try and lift him if he falls but must call for help . He knew this but wouldn't accept this before but think it's got through to him by them telling him

He is feeling a bit shaken but is OK

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 17 Apr 2015 12:23

Glad to hear your hubby is ok...... how are you?

He must realise now that he has to accept help. You can't be expected to lift him.

Take care <3

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 17 Apr 2015 12:33

I am OK Thanks

The doctor and nurse told him in March at our annual MOTs that I mustn't try to lift him but he still thought i could get him up somehow

He knows now when it happens again there's no ifs or buts its a 999 call

Rambling

Rambling Report 17 Apr 2015 13:04

Do sit yourself down with a cup of tea Shirley,as it will have been a shock for you too. Glad OH is ok, take care xx

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 17 Apr 2015 13:50

Glad he is ok anyway. Maybe best if he didn't lock the door in future as well. Glad the paramedics etc were thorough and kind.

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 17 Apr 2015 14:00

Shirley pleased he is ok. you must both be shaken up take care xx

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 17 Apr 2015 14:01

What a dreadful experience for both you and your husband, I am pleased that he has been checked out by paramedics and all is well. Take care, and look after yourself. Xx

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 17 Apr 2015 14:31

Thanks folks

We have one of those locks on the bathroom and downstairs loo that you just put a screwdriver in the slot to turn it . I can do it though without a screwdriver.

At 81 now with his dementia his balance isn't at all good

I do feel now though that a 999 call is the best option when he falls Have explained hubby why trying to get him up if he has injured himself could cause massive problems for him and he has accepted this

He is fine and I am too which is a blessing

<3

Sally

Sally Report 17 Apr 2015 14:38

shirly I have an oh that's all ways tinks that 999should not be called
but like you I call them

pleased that everything got sorted

take care

sally w <3

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 17 Apr 2015 14:46

Pleased to hear that you are both OK but what a scare for you both xx

kandj

kandj Report 17 Apr 2015 14:50

Oh dear, that is such a shock and so upsetting for each of you. I hope that you have both got your breath back and can relax together now. Take it easy and take care xx

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 17 Apr 2015 16:42

What a shock! :-(

These days I help my OH in and out of the shower and stay around upstairs - making beds, tidying up whatever - just to make sure I am on hand if does the same sort of thing.

Glad you are both okay and that you have a quiet evening. <3

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 17 Apr 2015 20:41

we had a policy of no locked doors(unless we go out) in our house even when the children were young.......if you need to get someone out in a hurry, no time wasted looking around for keys....or screwdrivers........

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 17 Apr 2015 21:04

glad you are both OK, Shirley xxxx

Bob .............. we also never lock the en suite bathroom door, and we only lock the door to the second bathroom if someone else is staying in the house. This has always been the rule in our house ................

basically everyone in the family knows that if a bathroom door is closed, someone is inside!

Inside door locks here all have a little hole that you push something through to click the lock ............... it needs something smaller than a screwdriver.

Sally

Sally Report 17 Apr 2015 21:30

you will not believe it my oh this evening could not get up from the loo
I have a frame I use around the loo but he allways pulls it out

so I pushed the frame towards him as near as it would go and he struggled and got out of the loo to the hall our loo is downstairs and managed to pull himself up using the stairs but I had the phone in my hand ready

so I am hopefull he will use it from now on

he has terminal cancer

sally w <3

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 17 Apr 2015 22:11

Shirley and Sally - <3

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 18 Apr 2015 00:07

oh dear, Sally

That would be worrying!

Let's hope he uses it in future!

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 18 Apr 2015 02:14

Such a worry for both of you Shirley and Sally,

My elderly neighbour fell out of bed once, and I had to get the ambulance men to get her up. Sometimes it's better for the person to be checked before being moved so best to get help and also it's easy to hurt yourself when lifting someone who can't help thrmselves. I can see this happening with my o, h., he has a knee with no kneecap (old drunken injury from before my time) and it's really causing him mobility problems now, he won't go to the dr.

Hope you and hubby have a less eventful weekend Shirley

Lizxx

Persephone

Persephone Report 18 Apr 2015 02:27

Glad all's well that ends well... it can be terribly frightening at the time.

My father living alone, at night he would get out of his chair turn the TV off then turn the light off and then walk back across the room in the dark and open the curtains and he tripped over a mat he had in front of his chair so he wouldn't wear out that bit of carpet. He spent a whole night on the floor, luckily it was the cleaning woman's day to come the next morning but she did not have a key. He called out to her and managed to slide himself along the floor and crawl up the door and open it.

He had broken his hip, the doctor thought he had had a stroke until he mentioned pain. My OH and I had to get him to the loo before the doctor came, so we used the rocking chair which could be slid along the floor. You would not have known he had a broken hip though, sitting on the toilet singing away. My dad said to me that he was cold as a frog lying on the floor all night. He was in his eighties.

It was always a case of carry on McDuff with him, went on to break the other hip a couple of years later and live to over 93.. he never went to the doctor so the doctor was always surprised to see he was still alive when he came at my request.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 18 Apr 2015 07:16

Only just come back online

Thanks folks he is ok He is 81 so falling over could be a big problem with broken bones which the paramedic explained to him when saying I shouldn't attempt to try and get him up .

They are so independent though aren't they and its onwards and upwards I dont need help mindset with them

They can hurt themselves and badly which my OH hopefully now accepts if he should fall again

Well it's more when he falls again as this isn't the first time ,he has been previously hospitalised overnight too after a fall in the street .