General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Newspaper deliveries

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Harry

Harry Report 27 Jun 2015 11:04

The bottom dropped out of my world (yes, I have a small life) when my local newsagent closed. My newspaper made half my day.. On-line doesn't have the same appeal, cross words and all that.

Too far to find a shop which sells them. Are deliveries a thing of the past generally.? At one time you had a whistling paper BOY. Up till this week we had a grown man delivering by car. Sadness reigns.

Happy days

Today has been cancelled - go back to bed. :-(

Sharron

Sharron Report 27 Jun 2015 11:07

Mine is delivered.

In fact, it was I who delivered the local papers for four years in the 1980s.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 27 Jun 2015 12:04

Have you tried google to see if there is another shop in the area that will deliver

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 27 Jun 2015 12:25

Harry,
Do you have a local library that may get a daily copy?

They will photocopy the crosswords etc for you to take home.
I work in a library and decided to photocopy the daily crosswords.
I leave them on a table every morning and you would be surprised at how many people come in during the day, just to sit and do the puzzle.

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 27 Jun 2015 12:49

Perhaps you could have an on line subscription? Not quite the same feeling I know , but something to get up with. If you have a tablet, well my daughter said when I got one "now you need never get out of bed"!
And a postal sub for crossword magazines.

Harry

Harry Report 27 Jun 2015 13:14

Thanks for the interest. The manchester Evening news used to say it ' Was a friend dropping in ' and t hat is applicable to a daily delivery.May have to get used to on line as all we have in the vicinity are Tesco and the co-op, neither of whom deliver. A car ride for me to get there, as is the local library. Google does not offer Hope.

Best wishes. Happy days

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 27 Jun 2015 13:28

Years ago our then village newspaper deliverer gave it up. Luckily someone else picked it up. Seems their Mum lived in the village and wanted her newspaper.

Luckily the family ran a newsagent in another place so organised deliveries - we moved to another village and still get our paper from them. It comes by car as there is no public transport from the shop - we leave a cheque out for them. This village has a corner shop as well as a small WHS - but the newspaper delivery comes from a nearby Town.

Harry

Harry Report 27 Jun 2015 14:52

Our local paper comes like that. Thanks for the reply.
Seems for the time being, the newspaper and early morning cup of tea are in the past.

Happy days

Barbra

Barbra Report 27 Jun 2015 15:14

Harry don't know if this would help .get in touch with office of the paper you read .they will be happy to get a copy to you.as they don't like to lose customers pm me if I can help Barbara

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 27 Jun 2015 17:07

That made me smile Barbra. When we lived in the other house the local paper would occasionally phone me up and ask if I had enjoyed reading the free copy of the local paper and would I like it delivered regularly.
We were quite out of the way with only 6 or so fairly close neighbours - we never got free anything! They never seemed to understand that no one came anywhere near us with free anythings. When we moved down into the lower village we got all sorts of free things - quite exciting for a while. :-)

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 27 Jun 2015 17:45

Print as a mass media industry is on the way out better get used to it. For instance Murdoch's group do not intend to replace their printing presses whn the current ones wear out (10-15 years). Several large printing firms have radically downsized/gone bust. Finnish newsprint exports are down by a half.

The surest sign of a technology fading as mainstream is that it returns as a craft industry ( sailing, steam engines, real bread, real beer ). The coolest thing to use at Starbucks right now is a typewriter ...

In the case of print all kinds of high end printing and book binding are doing fine while at the street level letterpress is on the way back. Letterpress can grab attention where far too slick Apple fails. Cheaper too.

for Sharon:

http://apracticalwedding.com/2011/05/how-to-build-and-use-your-own-letterpress/

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 27 Jun 2015 18:01

Don't give up just yet Harry. Ask other people in your area if they know of a paper deliverer. We were in a similar situation when our only little local shop closed down but a neighbour told us that the little newspaper kiosk in town would deliver. I found it hard to believe as it is just a kiosk with room for one person inside and it just sells papers and chocolate bars etc. Speaking to the owner I discovered he delivered papers over a really wide area so we gave him a try. Papers are always here by 7.30 am and he has never let us down. Sends us a bill once a month and we pop in and pay him or we can post him a cheque.

With luck you might find somewhere similar.

kandj

kandj Report 27 Jun 2015 18:27

Harry, we are really lucky to still have newspapers delivered here daily. The newsagent shop in our village is now being run successfully by the grandson, who has taken over from his newly retired Father. It was originally started by the Grandfather (sadly now deceased). Three generation of same family who have always provided an excellent service. Quite an achievement in this day and age.

I do hope that there will be some way around your problem so that you can still enjoy reading the paper with an early morning cuppa. Good Luck Harry.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 27 Jun 2015 18:53

what exactly is the point of shelling out to read yesterday's news ?

Harry

Harry Report 27 Jun 2015 19:28

Many thanks for the advice and kind words. Will have to spread my net further and see if any of your advice has good result.

Happy days

kandj

kandj Report 27 Jun 2015 20:01

Rollo, old habits die hard with my husband. Like Harry, he looks forward to the newspaper dropping through the letterbox each morning. He reads the print off the sports pages and glances at the general news pages. There are four crosswords too each day which he loves completing. Keeps his old brain working!

Andrew

Andrew Report 27 Jun 2015 20:28

My neighbour has a subscription with the Times, which is delivered to her daily by courier

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 27 Jun 2015 20:51

Online crosswords any good to you?

http://www.theguardian.com/crosswords

seems to be a pick of types.

I like cryptic ones.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 27 Jun 2015 22:17

I like this one no wasted space

http://www.oxfordtoday.ox.ac.uk/common-room/crossword-%E2%80%94-june-2015

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 27 Jun 2015 23:26

Dear Harry

Hello

Since I was a young teenager (many years ago now!), I have always had a very keen interest in newspapers.

With so many of the new events that took place over the years, I remember the newspaper headlines.

Also, the old fashioned black and white print before colour was ever introduced.

Newspapers will always hold a fascination for people and its often something that people save.

I do hope you can something sorted out very soon.

Take gentle care
With my very best wishes to you,
Love Elizabeth, EOS
xx