General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Dumplings (in stews)

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 28 Jun 2015 09:55

I didn't grow up eating them. I don't remember anyone in Scotland (when I was a child) having them.

DH did. He loves them, I can take them or leave them (rather leave them).

I'm a fairly good cook, but my dumplings are HORRIBLE!

I've tried all sorts of recipes, without success, plain ones, with herbs & cheese etc, but they don't work. They either fall apart or they're like glue!

What's the secret?

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★ Report 28 Jun 2015 10:11

keep them light, only enough water to bind them and place them in a pan of hot stew or casserole.. replace lid and leave simmering for about 20 mins...... :-D :-D

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 28 Jun 2015 10:12

I used half suet to self raising flour, add water to hold it together, I'd shape with a large spoon. 8 oz or 225 grams of flour made 4 dumplings for my stews when I made them. They rose beautifully, I'd put them in the stew for about 1 hr, turning them over about half way through the hour.

I love dumplings in stew so do my family. Unfortunately my daughter and myself can no longer eat them. :-(

Hope this helps. :-)

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 28 Jun 2015 10:14

Did all that. Tried turning them over and they broke up!

They were even worse in the slow cooker.

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★ Report 28 Jun 2015 10:19

i don't touch mine or lift the lid once they are in the pan...and i only cook them for 20 mins.. they are always light and fluffy... i mix them the same way as Pat.

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 28 Jun 2015 10:22

Ever thought of making a cobbler instead? :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 28 Jun 2015 10:23

When I was young, we always had dumplings in stew - even when we lived in Scotland :-D
Mainly because mum had to stretch the pennies and dumplings were a cheap way of filling us up.
I love them, can make them. I don't know how, they just 'work out' - maybe you're trying too hard.
I don't make them now because I'm prone to putting on weight :-S

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★ Report 28 Jun 2015 10:27

i was wondering if you left enough room for them to rise between the pan and the lid?

If they have no room they will just get heavy and sodden in the liquid.... :-)

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 28 Jun 2015 10:28

I don't put a lid on my stews so Stella may have a good point there.

Sharron

Sharron Report 28 Jun 2015 10:29

Flour, baking powder, water.

Mix it together, roll it into balls and bung it in.

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★ Report 28 Jun 2015 10:31

They rise up in the moisture or steam between pan and lid.....

You only need baking powder if you are using plain flour.. :-)

Sharron

Sharron Report 28 Jun 2015 10:48

I always use baking powder but no fat.

With my record on Yorkshires I err on the side of caution with dumplings.

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★ Report 28 Jun 2015 10:59

Sharron...

i didn't know you could make dumplings without suet :-S

Sharron

Sharron Report 28 Jun 2015 11:02

And I don't think they taste any different.

You really wouldn't expect me to pay for suet when I didn't need to now would you?

Barbra

Barbra Report 28 Jun 2015 11:11

Morrison`s Dumpling Mix pkt .just empty in to bowl add little water so mix is just bound together ..make sure liquid boiling in your pan .get a spoonful out depends how big you want them .drop on top of stew .don't handle them .should be good mine always are oh love`s my dumplings :-D

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 28 Jun 2015 11:12

Mine are one part suet to two parts SR flour + a pinch of salt.. As has been said, only a dribble of water to mix. The mixture should hold together but be dry.

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★ Report 28 Jun 2015 11:15

Well Sharron, you have taught me something new today and i have just been looking on the internet..some people use margarine and others olive oil, even sugar!

I still think the suet dumplings of my childhood must be the best...lol

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 28 Jun 2015 11:16

I have even made them in the slow cooker (turned up to high). I have used both ordinary suet and vegetarian suet and it has always worked. The liquid must be very hot when you put the dumplings in.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 28 Jun 2015 12:27

I usually feed in some dry paxo stuffing into mine...........I make maybe a dozen about the size of ping pong balls dust em with flour and freeze them, till needed.......then just drop half a dozen in the stew to cook in........

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★ Report 28 Jun 2015 12:32

Do you de-frost them first Bob ?