General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

We had several big planes overhead today in Kent

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 10 Jul 2015 16:47

Seemed like a big plane tribute of some sort .was there a flight fly pass for somthing???

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 10 Jul 2015 16:50

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-33476099

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 10 Jul 2015 16:50

Depending where you live, they might be en route to Yeovilton (air day tomorrow I think) or Fairford (weekend after). A couple Of Vampires flew over here earlier going to the former.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 10 Jul 2015 16:55

There was over Buckingham Palace earlier today. Something about the Battle of Britain?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-33476099

We were trundling along the South Cicular, east to west, this morning. Whilst not familiar with the holding patterns in that area there did seem to be at least one airliner making a sharp turn.

Depending in the timing, perhaps the commercial planes had been put on to a different flight path? Then again, the holiday companies may have started lining up evacuation planes to Tunisia.

One of life's little mysteries ;-)

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 10 Jul 2015 20:29

Cor blimey, where have you lot been? It was a tribute to the pilots of the Battle of Britain , which started 75 years ago today.

LindaC

LindaC Report 11 Jul 2015 08:54

It was the red arrows on their way to the Kent Show at Detling.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 11 Jul 2015 09:10

That sounds more like it linda .I live in Rainham so its across country from Detling :-D

LindaC

LindaC Report 11 Jul 2015 10:48

I work in Chatham Shirley and they came across our office a couple of times

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 11 Jul 2015 12:15

:-S

I am confused as the title is about big planes. Do you mean large size planes or a large number of planes?

The Red Arrows and WW II planes are not large planes.

Even the Lancaster bomber was not a large plane, it was about 70 ft long with just over 100 ft wing span. Many fly to holidays on the Airbus A320 which is 123 ft long and a wing span just over 110 ft to compere it with 1 used frequently today.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 11 Jul 2015 12:18

That's what I thought as well Pat. The Red Arrow planes are relatively small.

There is a photo taken yesterday here
http://www.kentonline.co.uk/maidstone/news/its-showtime---the-kent-39850/

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 11 Jul 2015 12:22

Well only saw one streaking across the sky but heard several and the sound was deafening when they went over they sounded like big planes But then I,m not an expert on planes I,m afraid :-)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 11 Jul 2015 12:26

If they were 'Streaking', then they probably were the Red Arrows ;-)
The larger planes appear to 'Lumber' especially if they are flyiing low :-D

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 11 Jul 2015 12:28

That sounds very likely to be low flying jets and it sounds like the Red Arrows. That plane can only accommodate 2 people so are small jets but at low level will create a reasonable amount of noise. :-D

Most springs we get the Reds practising their formations for the summer displays here. We see them 3 times a day five days a week for 6 -7 weeks. :-D :-D :-D

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 11 Jul 2015 12:28

Well they weren't the small ones we often see and hear going over from the private airstrip in Rochester those ones are usually one or two seater small planes

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 11 Jul 2015 12:35

There may have been nine possibly ten flying in formation at a higher speed than the jets in and out of the nearby airfield. Don't forget they are planes for military use as well as display so may be more powerful.

Edit - OH just looked for info re Reds and yesterday they were based at Biggin Hill for the day.

They flew - Tibenham at 11.07. Headcorn 11.25. Went back to Biggin then to Dettling for 14.00

LindaC

LindaC Report 11 Jul 2015 12:59

They were not big planes but like Shirley has said they were very loud. They were definitely the red arrows. I didn't count them but there were around 9 or 10 planes. They went over Chatham two or three times around 1.30p.m.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 11 Jul 2015 15:35

Thanks Linda C i was beginning to think i was doo dally not knowing BIG planes and loud ones

I tried to say we had planes overhead that had enormous loud sounds as they went over and wondered why and what the occasion was

seems was the Detling Kent County Fair

We would go every year and many the time was welly footwear as it would rain and rain in the week before. Gradually concrete walkways would go down to make it easier to get around . Loved the flower tents and the bee keeping ones etc
Sadly now we arent able as hubby is unsteady on his feet and the car parking is on grass so his mobility scooter isnt able to cope . BUT we have many memories of visits and sample testing etc

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 11 Jul 2015 15:43

Shirley, I used to be taken as a child. Apparently when asked what I enjoyed most, I said it was the mud :-D

My parents used to take our children as did we a couple of times. It's so expensive now that they are in danger of pricing families out of the market.
The last time we went must have been a couple of years ago. Although we managed to get into one of the fields to park, the fields became too boggy for many late comers to use. I think they had to cancel the Show after that first day.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 11 Jul 2015 19:28

Think you will find the Vulcan is down that way somewhere........ that's bigger than most!!! AND louder!!!!

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 12 Jul 2015 08:09

Vulcan wasn't up, flights last weekend and this, will be in Kent later in the year.

For those who want to see it here are the dates. :-)

http://www.vulcantothesky.org/appearances.html