General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Are you a prude?

Page 0 + 1 of 8

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 28 Jul 2015 12:36

QUESTION: Do you cringe inwardly when you see jokes of a rather crude sexual nature on the boards, bearing in mind that you have paid to use these boards, which are open to public viewing.

or

do you make every effort to show folk just how adult and very broad minded you are, by saying that anyone who doesn't find such jokes hilarious, needs to get a life and is a prude?

One of the many dictionary descriptions of the word........

"Use prude to describe someone who is too concerned with being proper or modest. It is a derogatory label affixed most often to girls or women who are not forthcoming romantically––it's not very nice.

Prude was borrowed from French, short for prude femme "wise and good woman," from Old French prud "wise, good" plus femme "woman." Though the word prude took on a disapproving or negative meaning, Old French prud also meant "capable, brave," and is probably the source of English proud."

So, to be considered proper and modest, a wise and good woman, one who is capable and brave, rather than one who finds public overtly sexual hilarity acceptable, is fine by me.

I will come out of the closet and publically state - I AM A PRUDE and often a very comical one to boot!

I do not RR risqué jokes but, should I feel called to do so, I would inform the poster and everyone else why I had done so.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 28 Jul 2015 12:41

with regard to the RR'd joke at the moment, to me it was playground type humour - I don't think I am a prude - having worked in a psychiatric hospital for nigh on thirty years I've seen and heard most everything - takes a lot to shock me these days

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 28 Jul 2015 12:58

No I'm not a prude but I DO feel that some of the "jokes" that are posted on this board have no place on a genealogy website.

At times I feel that such posts are made with the intention of seeing how long they will last or is there a competition to see how many RR's can be collected?

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 28 Jul 2015 13:06

I didn't see the one in question but, some that are mildly 'smutty' but cleverly written I do find funny. Some I find crude and unnecessary. Some are, in my opinion, put on to try and shock, knowing that it will be RRd so that people can comment how absurd it is to read and RR when it can be ignored. Of course it can be ignored by adults who don't fine it funny. It can also be gloated over by children who have access, remembering it is school holidays. As responsible adults should we really be showing ourselves up by putting smut up on the boards for them to read? And no I don't RR them, I'd have to admit it and we have seen the vitriole directed against those that do.

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 28 Jul 2015 13:11

Maybe I am a prude. I don't think I am. I used to go to all of Billy Connolly's shows and still go to see a lot of stand up comedy which makes the ancient jokes on here seem very tame. The audiences I'm in are all adults and know what they are going to see. Anyone randomly googling can find the smutty jokes on here and I don't think that's right, frankly. There are plenty of adult only websites if people want to swap those kind of jokes.

I believe in a time and a place. I swear quite a lot but I choose the company when I do. I don't swear in front of children or adults who I know would find it offensive. I will sometimes repeat a smutty joke I've heard at a stand up gig but only when I'm sure the company won't be offended.

It's basic good manners.

I have reported racist and homophobic jokes on here in the distant past. Mainly because they are not only unfunny, they are also illegal. I reserve the right to do so again.

A newcomer to the site would find the jokes and the whining puerile and childish. it's meant to be about genealogy. Keep the smut to email.

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 28 Jul 2015 13:18

No I most certainly am not a prude
I have heard much cruder jokes in the School playground over the years

some people want to get out more :-D :-D

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 28 Jul 2015 13:25

I mostly agree with Ann and Guinevere. I think jokes are often put up just to get a reaction, and to then moan when they are RR'd. There are so few regular posters now, surely the joke posters know who appreciates them and can just PM them?

Then there's the inevitable, boring clamouring about who RR'd and why, and why don't they admit it. Well, why should they when we all know the reaction. Calling someone a 'frustrated old bitch' isn't freedom of speech, it's personal and nasty.

You even get grief if you dare to suggest that someone might be offended, and you can understand why it was RR'd, even if you weren't the RR'er :-S

eRRolSheep

eRRolSheep Report 28 Jul 2015 13:27

Guinevere, I totally agree with you.

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 28 Jul 2015 13:47

So I presume the said thread has been restored then deleted?

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 28 Jul 2015 14:14

I was assuming GR had deleted it.

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 28 Jul 2015 14:17

Shows how much I know, thanks Guinevere.

kandj

kandj Report 28 Jul 2015 14:31

I agree with Claire in Wales, couldn't have put it any plainer myself.

I didn't see the joke in question as I chose not to open it however, I admire lavender for admitting to RR'ing this post and feel the nasty comments directed towards her are out of order.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 28 Jul 2015 14:35

In other people's eyes, probably.

Although there have only been one or two jokes posted on the boards which I've found offensive (and said so at the time), most are more suited to the playground. Can some one plese explain what's funny about the reproductive organs or act? :-S

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 28 Jul 2015 14:35

I don't think I'm a prude. I have certainly enjoyed Fascinating Aida live and you need to be fairly broad minded to appreciate them but, as Guinevere says, it is a question of time and place. It's not that there is anything very terrible about the jokes, most of them are quite old and pretty boring, but it is inappropriate to post them here.

I also think that if you preface a joke with words such as 'this might offend you' then you already know that some people will be offended and are presumably posting just to provoke a reaction.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 28 Jul 2015 14:36

she fessed up and I too admire her for it - knowing the kind of reaction it would bring from some members - however, had I found it offensive I would have sent a pm to the poster and asked for it to be deleted

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 28 Jul 2015 15:05

Agrees with Ann :-D :-D

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 28 Jul 2015 15:10

Earlier on someone posted the contents of a pm on the boards. Not exactly going to encourage people to go down that route, is it? It's also against Ts & Cs.

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 28 Jul 2015 15:29

If I don't like a joke I just ignore it and if a number of them appear I stop opening posts by that member.
Just the same as if I find a performer on TV offensive I don't watch them any more.

I know a lot of people on here like Mrs Browns Boys I find it smutty, but I wouldn't have it banned just because "I" don't like it.

Like Bullies and Trolls (which I do dislike) without any feedback they will find posting pointless.

Anyway, best wishes all :-D

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 28 Jul 2015 15:58

i look at some of them and think "very clever" some i may think are maybe a bit too near the knuckle , some are definitely teenage playground humour .

If i think one is bit "ORFE" I move on and leave it alone .

Am not a prude and can banter innuendo on a face to face basis but then i know who I am leg pulling with .

;-)

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 28 Jul 2015 17:53

Sometimes somebody puts up an adult joke which is really funny so I don't think they should be banned or rr'd just for being poor.

OTOH those putting up ancient smutty jokes more suited to the playground and the back of the football/rugby bus are telling us something about their arrested development. Tedious but easily avoided.

It is very, very difficult to tell good jokes or draw cartoons without taking the p-s out of some group or ethnicity or the other. I am sure you have heard jokes when you were six that started "There was an Irishman, a Scotsman and an Englishman ..... or "There was a rabbi, a priest and an imam ... "

My late partner was Jewish and he had a memory of thousands of great jokes about his own community mostly picked up in the US. Maybe he'd get fired for telling them at work now. Or shot.

The line is what is funny and what is hateful? Too many PC people with an RR tendency do not seem able to see that line.

Jeremy Corbyn for instance who has no sense of humour whatsoever.

Je suis Charlie
censorship starts with "A"

ps: best ever radio humour "Round the Horne"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnilWWcJ46s