General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Losing a cat hurts

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 17 Aug 2015 13:35

My junior cat, a Felix look alike, died just a year ago (4) and somehow I cannot get over it. Senior cat too - he has reverted to being a kitten. Jnr. was rescued from a junkie, his health recovered and then he was poisoned with antifreeze.

http://goo.gl/W32wNt

I'd love to get another cat but it is far more difficult than I had expected thanks to our eclectic life style. Sharon has a great idea but not really practical in cities.

I am beginning to suffer from cat jealousy towards those with two or more felines. One cat is great, two more than twice better.

I did try a cat cafe in Bethnal Green which was nice but after leaving the sense of loss even worse. A neighbor acquired two half Persians 6 months ago who share the name Piccadilly being Londoners. I play chess with him but really I want to see his kittens.

Maybe I am addicted.

:-(

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 17 Aug 2015 13:48

We rehomed a two year old male cat a few weeks ago from the local branch of the Cats Protection league

We lost our beautiful girl in July 2014 aged 17 plus ,we had had her from aged 7 months

The grief was overwhelming and we both said never again as it was far to painful .

In mid June this year I suddenly said to hubby you know I really do miss having a cat around ,never thought I would say it but maybe we can think about it

So after talking about it we decided to just take a look !!

We thought maybe an older female cat who perhaps needed a home because owner had passed away or something . None available at that time but we saw our Mr Tibbs and said he looks nice and they let him out of his pen and he wound himself around hubby's legs and then his walking stick and that was it ,hubby said we will have him!!!

He is settling in nicely .is a very loving cat who likes cuddles and attention . We haven't forgotten our old girl ,we can talk about her now and we and others have said maybe she sent him to us saying you both need to move on

Despite getting me up at around 6am to be fed we are both getting very fond of him

Sharron

Sharron Report 17 Aug 2015 14:46

It wasn't Sharron's idea at all. Sharron had no say.

They were auditioning before poor Desmond died.

I have only ever acquired one cat deliberately and I went to the RSPCA for him.

Other than that they have come round and demanded to live here.

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 17 Aug 2015 15:35

It hurts because they become part of the Family
its ok to love your cat and to hurt when its passes over Rainbow bridge
Shows your Human
Only heartless fool would not understanding
the grief others feel at times of loss :-( :-( :-(

RIP Pussy :-( :-( :-(

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 17 Aug 2015 16:22

We have had three cats during our marriage, each time OH has said 'no' then relented. he always ascertains he is not a cat person but when each one died he was distraught. Since the last one, Holly died, about 8 years ago we have not got another one as we have so many holidays it wouldn't be fair, maybe one day.

But your poor junior cat Rollo to be recued into a loving home and then to be poisoned, so sad. Why can't you get a rescue cat?

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 17 Aug 2015 16:23

We have lost 2 in the last 8 months and are at present catless. We arecat present in the throes of moving. So you have my sympathy.

if you live in London do lok The Cat Cuddles Sanctuary, they now have a place in London SE28 and a new home in North London.

They have a lot of cars desperate gor new homes, ranging from Kittens to older and a few special needs.

They hav a website, do take a look. :-)

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 17 Aug 2015 16:36

The reasons we have been turned down for rescue cat ownership include: senior cat is too old to accept another cat - he is 7 ; senior cat is a pedigree ( he doesn't know that ) ; senior cat is very big and beefy (21lb) - he is a big softy not at all fat ; we want to choose the new cat ; not allowed to have a young cat ; part time living in France ; we are too old ( OH is 57 ) and others to silly to list. Snr. cat goes back and forth to London perfectly happily.

Most likely we will go back to Wales and get another British Blue. Or Welsh blue if you like. Will look at "Cat Cuddlesw" though.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 17 Aug 2015 16:50

well if you do come to this area Rollo - try Shua - Safe homes for unwanted animals - they are on Hayes Road in Sully - a wonderful place where they take in any animals, but mostly cats - they have a nursery, a geriatric wing and a hospital - I got my lovely cat from there back in 2004 - he was thrown in a skip with his mum and siblings and was the only one who could be rehomed - best cat I've ever had

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 17 Aug 2015 16:59

I have 3 cats
2 from the rescue Touchwood and Scarlett
and Steve who was dumped on me at 3 weeks
He was bottle fed every two hours for two weeks
till he went on solid food those two weeks
Nearly killed me I was exhausted
But he was worth it
Each is a blessing it its own way <3 <3 <3

Barbra

Barbra Report 17 Aug 2015 20:49

Sorry to read you have lost your cat Rollo.I never had any. but all pets are precious to us .Take care <3

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 17 Aug 2015 21:20

Rollo I am so sorry, its truly heart breaking. We have lost three cats in two years. We
are now cat less. Apart from daily visits from neighbouring moggies. We have decided we will not be getting another one.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 17 Aug 2015 22:15

I have been through the same thing and lost my sweet Lucy to antifreeze poisoning as well as having another cat, her sister, go missing, never to be seen or heard of again. It's very hard to cope with but I did get two more kittens later on, and a third adopted me as well, even with the two others being dominant, they accepted Chloe immediately.

You can often find cats and kittens needing homes on Gumtree pet section so maybe worth looking there, no-one vetting you except to know their cat/kitten is going to a good home.

Good luck. Jnr. will always be in your heart and memory.

Lizx

Sharron

Sharron Report 18 Aug 2015 10:57

I am still waiting for the RSPCA to come and do my home check for Tommy.

We picked him up from them in 1996!

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 18 Aug 2015 13:09

Thank you for your kind thoughts and hints.
As I said generally I like more than one cat around and for sure snr. cat does. This is from his dreams, herding cats.

http://goo.gl/Lmj2sg

Barbra

Barbra Report 18 Aug 2015 16:18

So Cute, The little boys face when they keep running away priceless :-)

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 18 Aug 2015 20:19

I so hope you get a new cat soon Rolo :-D :-D

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 18 Aug 2015 21:52

I feel for you Rollo, even though I am by nature a dog person I have had cats and they travel happily, my Scragg End used to love living on my barge and would come when called at the engine starting up, he didn't mind moving to the pub either. They are adaptable.
I do hope you get a new addition to the family soon <3

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 18 Aug 2015 21:58

Can't see why your age should be a problem

My hubby is in his early 80's and I am late 70, s and our ages weren't queried at all by the cats protection when we looked to rehome

We had both thought at our ages maybe we shouldn't take on a young cat in case we couldn't cope later on but have decided that Mr Tibbs needs us as much as we can give him a good home so don't worry what the future may or may not be a problem

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 19 Aug 2015 01:32

Keep us posted.

Lizx

magpie

magpie Report 19 Aug 2015 17:39

The loss of a pet be it a puss, dog or anything else is up with the most heart breaking things that can happen. Our old Cocker had to be PTS in March 2014 aged just 11. We were both devastated and swore we'd never have any more animals,losing them was just too stressful, and I just couldn't seem to get over her. Well, we now, 17 months later, we have, a bit against my better judgment! the sweetest most affectionate, loving little doggy girl you could wish for. This baby has finally dried our eyes and brought us so much joy. So Rollo, I really hope that you manage to find another catty who will dry your eyes.