General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

would you eat..........

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 18 Aug 2015 02:52

My nephew is in the US on holiday, having a wonderful time; he's posting on Facebook, so it's great to see what he's up to.

He just posted a photograph of "food".

He ordered a cheeseburger......... and got a hamburger with a grilled cheese sandwich inside it. Yup, a big "bun" with meat, pickles, tomato, lettuce and two slices of toasted bread & melted cheese.

barf.

:-S

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 18 Aug 2015 06:42

Oh yuk, that's gross! No wonder many Americans are big lol

Liz

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 18 Aug 2015 06:49

You should see the size of the thing!

You'd have to pull it apart or risk dislocating your jaw :-0

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 18 Aug 2015 07:16

Ooo yuk - I've just got out of bed :-S

The thought of that lot at any time - let alone now......

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 18 Aug 2015 07:23

Grandaughter went to Canada for skiing earlier in the year .she found too the portions were enormous so she and her boyfriend ordered one meal and two plates and they shared .

Restaurants and pizza bars etc always asked if you wanted a doggy bag to take out .

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 18 Aug 2015 09:10

Portions in the USA are huge! and that's without 'super sizing' meals and drinks.

My nephew moved back to the States a couple of years ago and he ordered what he thought was a healthy pasta lunch.

He checked on the menu (where they show the calorific values) and was horrified to see the single dish contained nearly 4,000 calories :-0

My cousin in Texas is forever posing photos of his meals and you could share most of them between 3 people.

Daughter ordered meatballs and spaghetti in New York and could only eat 2 of the 5 cannon balls she was served... now I know why 'doggy bags' are the norm as Shirley said.

It's a land of waste!

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 18 Aug 2015 09:38

It depends where you go - I lived on the west coast for a while and the portions were, I would have said, normal. Very health-conscious in California!

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 18 Aug 2015 09:43

Doggy bags are fine if you have somewhere to safely store and reheat the left-overs, but useless if you're staying in a hotel room.

From experience, I agree about the obscene size of restaurant meals. One thing we did find, the more expensive the restaurant, the smaller the portions :-S

StrayKitten

StrayKitten Report 18 Aug 2015 09:43

When in florida, i stook to food i knew and apart from the desserts the main meals wernt to big, the desserts where "standard" size, so we would order one n 3 of us shared it,

there is an option to buy the super size stuff but ya could never eat it so no point in my eyes, some of our local pubs, do belly buster options, i just dont see why anyone would pay extra to leave food, :-S

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 18 Aug 2015 09:50

Detective, that is very true. Also, the more affluent the neighbourhood, the slimmer the people tend to be.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 18 Aug 2015 10:46

I looked at the gigantic burger again........... I missed the big wedge of ham! It's stuck on top of the bun with a toothpick (or was it a spear?)

:-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 18 Aug 2015 11:21

I always doggy bag (utterly shameless!) and can usually get another meal,sometimes two,from that so it makes eating out less of an expense.

Having once had a Bengali boyfriend I know how to eat curry with chapatis so we will usually only have two dishes and six chapatis between the two of us if we go to an Indian restaurant but we are always intrigued by the number of dishes other people order and they usually have chips as well.

Anything I can't manage goes home with us but I am sure these people leave their leftovers behind.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 18 Aug 2015 11:59

I forgot......... there was a huge pile of chips/fries next to the burger. :-0

No doggy bags in Oz.......... restaurants are so scared that someone will eat the leftovers days later and get food poisoning, then sue the restaurant!

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 18 Aug 2015 12:33

I would never order a burger because I don't like them,
same with pizza, however I would order a desert. :-)

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 18 Aug 2015 14:00

Sahara?

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 18 Aug 2015 14:34

What's an S between friends :-D :-D :-D

Or as we say pudding ;-) ;-)

Sharron

Sharron Report 18 Aug 2015 14:44

You're posh.

We says afters!

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 18 Aug 2015 14:46

I once read that the cheapest way to eat in the US was to have a diner breakfast, as you wouldn't need another meal that day!

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 18 Aug 2015 14:50

Sharron that's what I get for trying to be posh :-D :-D :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 18 Aug 2015 14:52

Fred's mate had never stayed away from home until we took him to Wales for a night and stayed in a bed and breakfast.

He was only going to have a small bowl of cornflakes until we explained to him that the breakfast was part of what he had paid for and he needed to eat the full English so as not to have to buy a lunch later.