General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Don't forget your shopping bags today...

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lynda ~

Lynda ~ Report 5 Oct 2015 08:28

Or you'll be chaged for one :-0

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 5 Oct 2015 09:17

So now instead of using them to wrap my rubbish, I will have to buy bin bags and feed those into the environment instead! :-D

Graham

Graham Report 5 Oct 2015 09:26

These ones should be free

http://ecosac.net/

;-)

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 5 Oct 2015 09:31

It's only 5p. *shrug*

I can think of better campaigns the government could ponder on to save the planet.

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 5 Oct 2015 09:37

The charge has been very successful in Wales with us now using 71% less carrier bags

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 5 Oct 2015 09:41

'larger shops and supermarkets'.

When does a shop become Large? :-S

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 5 Oct 2015 09:46

Ah - retailers with 250 or more full time employees. So your independent corner shop is excluded.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 5 Oct 2015 09:55

I've used my own shopping bags for years; got in the habit of it while living in Europe, where they've charged for bags for a long time. My bags go in the washing machine about once a month.

But.......... I've changed aisles at the supermarket when I notice some people's shopping bags......... especially if the people look a bit grungy. It's really horrible when someone drops their bags on the conveyor belt and a dozen cockroaches run out!

They put their food in those bags! ewwwwww I hate to think what their homes are like.

Graham

Graham Report 5 Oct 2015 10:00

Just think how much tax we pay on petrol and how little that helps the environment. Will a five pence tax on carrier bags really be any different? :-S

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 5 Oct 2015 11:21

We have been using own shopping bags here in Scotland for about a year
now.

OH read from his newspaper..

Council sent out leaflets in Liverpool about the importance
of recycling in non recycle able bags.

Rambling

Rambling Report 5 Oct 2015 11:29

At least one shop I noticed this week is donating the money to environmental charities. :-)

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 5 Oct 2015 12:01

you'll soon get used to it - we have here in Wales - at least the local Sainsbury car park no longer has trees festooned in carrier bags :-D

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 5 Oct 2015 13:53

I use the supermarket bags to dispose of the cats litter ,after taking out the nasties and flushing it away of course

Have always used my own bags for shopping . have a large cool box type bag for the frozens and dairy, an insulated one for the milk and a big boot size one for the groceries etc

Now its online shopping from now on I will pay 40p for the bags as i will use them

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 5 Oct 2015 13:54

Well, I hope they provide bags made of paper for small items.

If you think about the number of peopel who buy 'meal deals' during the working day! I can't see many males having a carrier tucked away in their pockets, or for that matter females with one in their teeny-tiny handbags.

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 5 Oct 2015 16:44

We are so used to it in Wales ...it doesn't seem a big deal.

I have some pretty fold up bags in my handbag and for a big shop go prepared.
Don't understand why they complicate it in England with letting smaller shops give them free!

Lynda ~

Lynda ~ Report 5 Oct 2015 17:15

Harrods have a nice box of 6 Luxury Christmas crackers for just £499.00, I'm going on Wednesday, and need some crackers, so when I buy them will see if they ask £499.05 at the till.

Will let you know :-D

Dermot

Dermot Report 5 Oct 2015 17:35

An idle thought.

Walking along, you notice a 5p piece lying on the pavement. Will you bother to pick it up?

If yes, why not apply the same logic to negligently discarded carrier bags. On second thoughts, maybe not - unless you are waring gloves or just happen to have tongs handy.

Let's all hug a litter bin. :-0

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 5 Oct 2015 18:39

It has already been mentioned mentioned that other part of the UK have already been working on the 5p charge for quite a long time
I haven't seen a single discarded bag in the street or even one caught in a tree for over a year.

I got an online shop at the start of the year and paid 40p for it to be bagged.
It was packed it into at least 20 carriers. Some bags contained a single item.
So far,I have had no use for any of them

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 5 Oct 2015 22:46

We have been charged in Wales for a couple of years and it is working....

It's not about you paying 5p for a plastic bag it's about how that bag is disposed of.

When households have plastic bags to get rid of they tend to fill them up with everything and do less recycling.

So stop moaning, buy some 'bags for life' and help safeguard land and water tables for future generations.

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 5 Oct 2015 23:00

5p is nothing
I will gladly pay for my carrier bags :-D :-D