General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Stroke Association and my daughter

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 26 Nov 2015 13:21

I am so proud of youngest daughter.

Some of you know she suffered a devastating stroke just a few weeks after giving birth to her first child aged 29.

She was left unable to speak and her cognitive skills were impaired. In fact she didn't even know she had a baby.

She was unable to return to work for a year but during that time she visited old peoples homes to help with regaining language skills in Welsh and English. She raised money by running half marathons, volunteered to speak with other young stroke victims, basically threw herself into getting better.

She was invited to join the Stroke Association panel for a 3 year term, set up a local support centre and talk to health professionals at conferences giving a patient's viewpoint.

She also resumed her career implementing and monitoring EU water quality control in Wales as well as having her second child.

Yesterday she received an award by the Stroke Association in recognition of her work as a stroke survivor.

We all, as a family, couldn't be more proud of her. Her determination to rebuild her life was amazing.

I know I am boasting but I could burst with pride.....lolol

Thanks for reading this.

Sue

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 26 Nov 2015 13:36

you have every right to boast - who wouldn't - she is amazing - and considering all you've been through, I think you're quite amazing as well <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 26 Nov 2015 13:38

An amazing family!! <3 <3 <3

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 26 Nov 2015 13:54

Amazing young lady . You have every right to be very proud of her .

She too is a credit that she fought so hard to get back on track and to resume her life

Have to send some xxx <3 to all your family

Von

Von Report 26 Nov 2015 13:56

Congratulations to your daughter Sue <3

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 26 Nov 2015 14:34

What an inspiration she must be to others. Her award is well deserved and you have every right to feel proud of her achievements.

Linda

Linda Report 26 Nov 2015 14:58

Congratulations what a strong young woman you have every reason to be very proud of her.

My friends granddaughter Beth had a stroke when she was five she lost the use of her right side, her parents put her in the corner when thought they had visiters and they thought that she would just sit there but not Beth. Today she is a happy seventeen year old gets around like her sister and the only way you can tell she's got any thing wrong is her hand, and next year she off to uni

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 26 Nov 2015 18:38

What an incredible young lady.

Congratulations to her ......... and to you, Sue xxx

You have every right to be very proud of her. xx

Mersey

Mersey Report 26 Nov 2015 18:41

How wonderful !!!!

Many congratulations to her Sue, what an amazing person.....she is such a credit to you and your family <3 <3

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 26 Nov 2015 18:46

What a wonderful young lady and Sue you
have every right to be proud of her.

My best wishes to you all xx

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 26 Nov 2015 18:51

Well done to your Dau Sis.... <3 <3

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 26 Nov 2015 18:57

Congrats to your daughter .....it is well deserved <3

Rambling

Rambling Report 26 Nov 2015 20:01

Congratulations to your daughter Sue xx

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 26 Nov 2015 20:25

<3 <3 <3 Sue

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 26 Nov 2015 20:26

Thank you for your lovely comments.

Stroke can strike anyone at any time, it's not an 'old persons problem' as Linda's post proves.

Knowing the signs will help.

Daughter only survived because her hubby insisted she was taken to hospital.

Please if you have any doubts as to whether someone has any one of the symptoms of a stroke phone 999 immediately.

https://www.stroke.org.uk/what-stroke/what-happens-when-you-have-stroke/what-are-symptoms-stroke

Sue

<3

Edit: I have watched the presentation video a number of times...lolol her award was presented to her by another stroke survivor.. Dave Hill the guitarist with the group SLADE.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 26 Nov 2015 20:40

coo - you're almost famous :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 26 Nov 2015 20:52

lololol :-D :-D

Kay????

Kay???? Report 26 Nov 2015 20:57

:-D,

Well done and congratulations.fab news.

(claps)

Keep boasting.

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 26 Nov 2015 21:27

:-D oh I will lolol

Kay????

Kay???? Report 26 Nov 2015 21:42

She has done blinky marvelous and theres probally more to come........supose now you will want to tag along to events. ;-) :-D...incase the world press are snapping away.....

its them strong determid genes. ;-) :-D