General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Yesterday I became invisible.....

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rambling

Rambling Report 27 Nov 2015 13:35

It's often said that as women get older ( and/or fatter) they become less and less 'visible'. I have noticed it myself over the last few years. Yesterday I made a rare trip into town, I avoid it whenever possible it is just a shopping centre and like every other shopping centre is truly hateful lol, and yesterday of course was very busy as some of the shops had already started selling for 'Black Friday'.

But here's the thing, as I walked along people did not break step and go round me, they looked straight ahead 'through' me and all got to within inches before I veered round them struggling with bags while they were not carrying anything ( I do walk in pretty much a straight line so it's not as if I suddenly appeared without warning ;--) ) in several queues they strolled in in front of me as though I was not there at all..

I was very glad when finally someone looked me straight in the eyes and smiled, she could obviously see me ...woo hoo! So I bought my BIg Issue from the sweet young woman ( though I noticed she too seemed to invisible to others) and went home feeling better.

I don't often get a Big Issue, as said I don't go into town much and generally can't afford them anyway) but if you haven't bought one thinking you won't read it, may I encourage you to do so, not just because it helps someone but because there is always something worth reading in them :-)

This issue has a very interesting little piece on Dickens' Christmas Carol, and what is happening at the Dickens Museum. I was also interested to know that Stanley Baxter , who was on tv a lot back when I was young, is still working in panto! ( I googled and he's 89!). Do you remember his Christmas shows?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 27 Nov 2015 13:44

Is he really? Working must keep him young at heart, if not in years. I have bought the Big Issue in the past, but the messy ink put me off.

Rose - project your personality and stand your ground. People who ignore your presence are too bound up in their own little world. You're 'better' than them ;-)

Rambling

Rambling Report 27 Nov 2015 14:01

The ink seems to be OK now +++DetEcTive+++ I get that problem with the local free advertiser though.

I don't stride as confidently as I used to, dodgy knees, so maybe that is why those who do walk fast expect me to move before they have to :-)

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 27 Nov 2015 14:04

Yes I remember stanley Baxter, didn't particularly like him but my Dad did.

I too am invisible but I have been known to stand still until the person heading straight for me actually stops dead right in front of me. (men as well as women I might add. Other half often says in a loud voice 'got your invisible coat on today dear?'

I used to buy the big issue but got a bit fed up with it.

Rambling

Rambling Report 27 Nov 2015 14:07

I might try that Ann, I do sometimes do that little dance where you both move to the right at the same time and then left again and end up smiling foolishly lol.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 27 Nov 2015 15:21

there was a docu program on Stanley, last night!!

grand old entertainer

Bob

Rambling

Rambling Report 27 Nov 2015 15:36

I will watch it on Iplayer Bob :-)

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 27 Nov 2015 21:45

I know what you mean.

It's really horrible being "invisible" when you're using crutches! :-P

I've been really tempted to stick out one of the crutches & trip up the "owners of the footpath". :-| :-| :-| Then say........... Oh sorry, I didn't see you! :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 27 Nov 2015 23:31

I love Stanley Baxter :-D

As for being invisible - we often are, as people insist on using their phones whilst walking along, and expecting everyone to get out of their way!!! :-|

I don't do that.
I let them walk into me, and then ask where their guide dog is.
They look at me as if I've lost it, and I just inform them that the world doesn't revolve around them - perhaps they'd like to look where they're going in future!!!

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 27 Nov 2015 23:32

be careful, a dog walker was sued for £65K after the extending lead tripped up a cyclist!!!

Bob

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 28 Nov 2015 00:45

Well, if, her/him being intent on texting/talking on their phone makes everybody else invisible, is it really up to everyone else to move?
There have been cases where people have been killed crossing the road, because they had headphones on.
Does their choice to ignore what's going on around them make everyone else responsible for their (those who choose to ignore everyone else) actions/lifestyle choice?

The worst ones are (usually) men who insist on pacing back and forth on the pavement whilst talking on their phones.
I have been nearly jettisoned into oncoming traffic by one of these morons, whilst trying to walk on the pavement. :-|

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 28 Nov 2015 14:03

I am amazed how invisible I have become since breaking my foot.

How many men, and women, have pushed passed me and my crutches to jump on the bus first. Then when I DO get on, bury their heads, and not offer me a seat!

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget Report 28 Nov 2015 15:03

I too have become invisible at times. I have had to stick my stick out slightly to h elp me regain my balance ;-), after being almost swept aside by the whirlwind of someone sweeping past me. Well I've done it just the once, and THEY apologised. Have also been known to stick out my extending elbows if someone tries to push in while I' m in a queue.
I am obviously a well bought up young lady! ;-) ;-).

To be honest, people rarely push in, but they often try yo walk through me. I will try yo take a leaf out of Ann's book, and just stand my ground.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 28 Nov 2015 15:47

Maggie, men walking up and down while on their phones are usually wearing suits so I assume they are 'really important people'. :-D ;-)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 28 Nov 2015 17:04

OH used to do that (walk up and down) when he wore a suit. He still occasionally does it at home! Goodness knows why. It might be to aid concentration. He's ok sitting to take a social call, but starts to pace if he's asked to solve a problem. :-S

Rose - there was an item on Woman's Hour about invisibility. Trouble is I wasn't listening properly! The women being interviewed decided they became invisible because their appearence made people uncomfortable. One had bad facial scaring, the other was Muslim presumably reflected in her dress.

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 28 Nov 2015 17:42

I'm also invisible and deaf when OH and
I are going around the shops and he is
pushing me in my wheelchair.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 28 Nov 2015 22:32

Ann and Det - yes, usually in suits :-|

I still call them a 'plank' as I walk into the incoming traffic - much more preferable than being 'thrust' into it by some concentrating 'suit' :-P :-P :-P

Barbra

Barbra Report 28 Nov 2015 22:53

OH use to open shop door for people. not anymore .no thanks just push past. so shame if it shuts as they go in or out :-P

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 28 Nov 2015 22:54

Afraid I am getting to be a grumpy old girl cos folks who butt in and try to push me to one side get a short sharp tongue

Recently I was putting my goods on the check out and was still unloading my goods from the trolley when a lady starting loading her goods behind mine

I pointed out I was still unloading from the trolley and she got a bit aggressive and said keep your hair on!!

I said you need to look at people's trolley to see they stiil have goods and she did a big humph and walked away

I stiil don't know where she thought she was and what she was doing

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 28 Nov 2015 23:09

Shirley, You've reminded me of an incident that I've tried to forget..
I was at a self-checkout. I had a rucksack on. I put my basket on the machine, and while I was taking my rucksack off, in preparation to filling it, a girl (holding a couple of items in her hands) came up to my check-out and started scanning her things!!!!
I turned to her and said 'Excuse me!'

She ACTUALLY said 'Sorry, I didn't see you'.!!!! :-| :-| :-| :-| :-|

I'm afraid I just glared at her and replied 'Perhaps you should start living in the real world, dear. Amazingly it doesn't revolve around YOU - and maybe get your eyes tested while you're at it', shoved her out of the way, deleted her items and started scanning mine.
It's not as if there weren't any 'free' self scanners, either. :-S