General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Apple watches

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 17 Dec 2015 11:25

went out with friends last night and one of them was wearing an Apple watch - what an ugly looking thing - if they were giving them away I wouldn't have one - and they cost hundreds of pounds :-S

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 17 Dec 2015 11:46

Funny you should mention watches, Ann.

This morning, over breakfast, I was looking at Olivia Burton watches online and I thought they were very nice. I'm not sure that they would make a good gift for the person I was looking for one for but I would love one for myself.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 17 Dec 2015 12:00

As far as we can work out, they only work if their linked phone is on close proximity - something like a couple feet?

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 17 Dec 2015 12:07

well this one was working and we were at least five miles from her house - you can talk to it and it will obey messages - now who wants to go round talking to their wrist :-S

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 17 Dec 2015 12:10

remember when I was a kid reading my comics,

a wristwatch radio was absolutely YEARS into the future...............

was it Dick Tracey? or summat?

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 17 Dec 2015 12:40

Stick to yr Rolex let the minion's sort out yr diary Apple iz fer numskulz.

If you must have a connected watch ( minion on holiday? ) at least do it properly eg

http://www.tagheuerconnected.com/product

Merlin

Merlin Report 17 Dec 2015 13:34

As has been said,APPLES ARE FOR NUMBSKULLS. The best use for them is decent Cider. :-D :-D :-D :-D

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 17 Dec 2015 13:44

:-D :-D :-D :-D

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 17 Dec 2015 15:13

A watch is a watch. That's all I use it for.

If you have a mobile/cell phone that does it all, why bother with anything else. Although I know that dtr has a tiny gadget that does a lot, I have no idea what it's called.

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 17 Dec 2015 20:01

A watchmaker has been trying to mend a pocket watch for me for the last two years. It is so old, 1833, that he is having to make the tools to make the parts. We have an agreement that if he succeeds I will pay him £200, and if not, I pay him nothing. He had to make some new links for the chain, (it is a fusee movement) which to the naked eye looks like a piece of wire. Under magnification it looks like a bicycle chain. If he gets it working it will be worth about fifty quid.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 17 Dec 2015 21:12

we were in a local Sushi bar a few weeks ago, and I noticed a man at another table kept lifting his arm and then flicking something on his wrist with one finger

I was sorta puzzled ...............

but finally realised he was flicking at the face of his watch

yep, an Apple

but it looked really really weird to an onlooker!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 17 Dec 2015 21:13

oh, yes ..............

and he was sitting with his wife and a boy aged about 9 or 10

he ignored them, and they ignored him

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 17 Dec 2015 23:04

think: Steve Jobs. seriously weird, designed the Apple stuff to fit what S.J. wanted out of life and more importanntly technology.
think: those that can adapt to the awfulness expense and control freakery that is Apple must be or hope to be cast in the great man's image

everyone else gets on with android and clockwork

Darwin probably had a word for it. Mine is winter lemmings.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 17 Dec 2015 23:20

I have a watch. It ticks and tells the time. This is all I expect of it.
I have a mobile phone (currently at my daughters, as I accidently left it there).
I would like to point out, that, despite not having my mobile until Sunday - when I shall see my daughter - my life hasn't fallen apart.
People occasionally contact me on my mobile, but if they know me, and get no response, they phone my landline, as they know my mobile is probably in a coat pocket, the bottom of a bag, or left at home, I'm out and I can't hear it.
If they don't know me - who cares? If it's important, they leave a message on my landline.
My mobile phone doesn't get the internet. If I want that, I use my PC or, very occasionally my tablet, which quite often isn't charged.

I have a life. A life that doesn't revolve around a bl**dy phone, or being in contact with vague 'friends' - people we used to call colleagues. I have a camera to take photos.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 18 Dec 2015 00:09

exactly :-D :-D

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 18 Dec 2015 11:00

Oh good - we're not the only 'dinosaurs' :-D

We used to astound the the mobile phone providers " How much do you pay per
Month? we can save you money when you switch ".
We each might top up our PAYG by £10 in a year :-D

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 18 Dec 2015 11:13

me too!!! :-D

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 18 Dec 2015 12:49

the telcos - all of them including EU and north america - plan to drop "landlines" aka POTS.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 18 Dec 2015 17:44

We're more dinosaurs!!!

We both have at least 2 watches

............. mine are both analog, battery driven. OH's day watch is digital (and ugly!!), his dress watch is analog

We have landline phones only, one is old-fashioned (although not a rotary dial), and the other is cordless

We do not have even a flip cell phone, let alone smart phones, iPhones, iPads etc

We have two desktop computers, and one laptop, no tablets, etc

We are in fact often advised to have a landline, although many people only have cell phones .....................

but then not every country is like the UK, with cheap very easily available cell service.

There are even areas of this country that do not have landline phone service ............. they have to make do with radio phones :-D

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 18 Dec 2015 19:20

(for Sylvie) It is impossible to get an internet adsl / cable connection without a landline in the UK. The govt imposes a £ 14 (plus vat) per month tax on each and every landline (inc business) even if they are not provided by BT or ar vrtual numbers. The money is used to subsidise comms to remote areas. Currently that means slightly faster internet and 2G cell phones. BT has scooped most of the pot.

Anybody on contract in the UK gets a free cellphone every 2 years on average. The term "cell phone" is not used in Europe they are known as mobile phones. Europe was a whole lot faster in ditching analog cell phones in favour of digital than North America. Generally Euope's deployed comms technology is way better (and cheaper). OTOH if you really want to see how bad telecomms can be in a supposedly modern country try Australia.

The landline business is unprofitable seen as a dinosaur business by the telcos who want to move to a person rather than location based system. Much of POTS has already disappeared as physical lines.

In third world countries + Canada termination fees on international calls is a sig source of govt revenue. However the real cost of modern international dialled calls is diddly squat.

I rely on my Rolex Diver for the time. It is always correct, never needs any battery power and is tough n waterproof. Quite how a fragile contraption from Apple could beat it I've no idea except of course on price, the apple watch being a lot cheaper. Yer pays yer money ...