General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Goodness me!! How rude :-(

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 21 Mar 2016 12:06

I was tackling a delicate situation - cutting meat off a shoulder joint, with an (apparently) ravenous cat lurking, when my phone rang.

Torn between leaving the meat to answer it, or just assume it was a cold caller, I ran to fetch the phone, taking it into the kitchen so I could 'guard' the meat.
me: Hello?
them: Garble, something about windows
me: silence while I try to work out what he'd said
them: Hello are you still there?
me: Sorry, who did you say you were calling from?
them: Stop saying what? what? what?
me: I'm afraid no-one speaks to me like that.

I put the phone down.

Just 'googled' the number, he was going to tell me about how my computer wasn't working properly!! :-P
How come these spammers now believe they can be as rude as they like?
The pratt had already disturbed me without insulting me as well!!

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 21 Mar 2016 12:22

I had one at 8.15am this morning. Thinking it was going to be a family crisis at that time, I nerved myself before answering. When this voice said that it was about 'my computer', I snapped "At this time in the morning? You must be joking!" and cut them off in their prime... :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 21 Mar 2016 12:26

8:15 Cynthia???? That's inhumane! :-(

Rambling

Rambling Report 21 Mar 2016 12:27

I had him too :-D Couldn't hear him properly and said so, he told me to "stop interrupting and let me finish" ...I didn't :-)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 21 Mar 2016 12:34

Must've been the same man, Rose. 'Mr Manners' :-P :-P

I wonder if he saves his 'charms' for women, or whether he's a delightful to men?

RStar

RStar Report 21 Mar 2016 12:42

Maggie see if you can block the number or report them to BT. I leave my house phone on silent , I only have it for the internet as nobody calls on it except my mother lol. :-(

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 21 Mar 2016 12:44

When the ring me I say we don't internet :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 21 Mar 2016 12:59

Romany, thanks for that :-D

Joy, that's what I normally say. :-D

I have been known, when asked to 'Look at Windows', to comment 'Yes, they could do with a clean, thank you', and put the phone down.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 21 Mar 2016 13:47

Last time I said I had apple....bananas, pears. He didn't seem interested in discussing if tomatoes were fruit or veg ;-)

There used to be some restriction re the time cold callers could phone. Was it 9am to 9pm and not on a Sunday? Perhaps he thought we'd already put our clocks forward.

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 21 Mar 2016 13:53

Last week I lost the plot when I answered phone - my carer was here and I said b----r off. She was horrified until she heard who was ringing. Phone rang about 2 hrs later, heard my voice and put phone down.. No similar calls have been heard since.

I highly recommend my 'turn of phrase'.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 21 Mar 2016 15:25

We prefer to leave the answer phone on. 'The other person clears' very quickly.

Robert

Robert Report 21 Mar 2016 15:59

If it is a foreign person, I say "Sorry, I am not English and cannot understand what you are saying" and they ring off!!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 21 Mar 2016 16:07

Robert!! :-D :-D :-D

Tawny

Tawny Report 21 Mar 2016 18:01

I had one the other day telling he was calling me at home because I'd had an accident and could claim compensation. As I was at work I just hung up. If that was my home number though I must be very rich and have amnesia.

I work in an old Georgian building and the company I work for own the whole building (5 floors) and I don't remember the accident I apparently had.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 21 Mar 2016 18:05

When I'm told I've had a car accident, I ask if I was driving.
If they say 'yes', then I ask them not to tell anyone, as I haven't got a driving licence - or a car, and was joyriding!! :-D :-D

Dermot

Dermot Report 21 Mar 2016 18:06

There must have been loads of unemployed 'Cold Callers' before the telephone was invented. :-D

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 21 Mar 2016 18:23

I had one this morning at8.30am from someone about computers.I said no thanks and put phone down.i was still in bed but had phone near.

It is so rude to ring either early in morn or late at night as you always worry if you have an emergency,so firms used to comply with this,but a lot of these calls are from call centres in other countries now.

I have a block on my phone and don't get many,but some still get through.

Think it was 9am-9pm that cold calling was allowed.

Jane

Jane Report 21 Mar 2016 19:12

We are inundated at the moment with these type of calls.it seeems to go in spells .I am sure they will stop again soon and we will get a few months peace before they start again.I don't answer my phone now.I just wait until the answerphone picks up .If it is someone I know I will pick up quick. :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 21 Mar 2016 19:44

we got one of these last year ................... at 6:30 AM

OH jumped out of bed, fiddled with the phone and finally spoke ................. then asked "what the B***** H*** are you doing calling at this time of the B***** morning"!

He doesn't normally swear :-D

I had one last week ............. just told the guy "this is a scam" before quickly hitting the OFF button.

I did that the previous time as well ............ but I didn't hit OFF fast enough, and heard the guy slam the phone down :-D

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 21 Mar 2016 20:30

We had a block on incoming calls with number witheld .it maybe worked as we didn't get those type of calls . We are ex directory nos withheld so how they get our beats me

Had to take it off when Michael was in hospital as got told off by them when a doctor tried to ring me and the hospital withholds their number !! He was quite shirty that he said he had to borrow a mobile to make the call

Not put it back on yet , but will do if those Scam etc calls start