General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Overworked Words

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 12 May 2016 15:37

There is a comment in this week's Radio Times about overuse of the word epic. So many programmes are now described as epic that it has ceased to have any meaning.

The example given was a wildlife programme, suitable for family viewing. Interesting - yes; entertaining - yes; educational - yes; but EPIC - No!

My choice is exciting. No, BT, the amendments to my broadband package do not excite me in the least!

Neither does the fact that the bedcovers I bought recently are now available in several other "exciting" colours!!

Nor, for that matter, do the so-called improvements to this website. :-(

Any other suggestions?

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 12 May 2016 15:38

"absolutely" is the one that drives me up the wall - people use it instead of "yes" - Why? do they think it makes them seem more important than they are?

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 12 May 2016 16:20

There are so many superlatives these days that I notice...

Incredibly,amazing etc...how many have others noticed?.

It's the fact that they keep repeating them over and over.

Another thing is not pronouncing t's...

Remember when BBC English was required to get a job on radio/TV?

I don't expect it to go that far,but pronunciation was so important in school and spelling!...not just for the elite,but everyone,

Rambling

Rambling Report 12 May 2016 16:28

"Hilarious" a particular favourite of the caption writers to photos in the DM, as in
" Hilarious moment cat falls off washing machine" .

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 12 May 2016 16:42

Iconic. Just about anything that isn't epic is iconic.

Please, please, please would someone teach journalists, commentators etc that the word unique cannot be qualified. Very unique, most unique etc are nonsense, and as for.......no, better not get started or I'll be here all night :-D

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 12 May 2016 16:50

'Hard working people'

They might well be paid to work, but how do you define working hard? Most people turn up, do what they are paid to do, then go home at the end of the day. :-S

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 12 May 2016 17:03

Det - anyone other than a Politician :-D

Island

Island Report 12 May 2016 17:12

Stunning. :-| I saw someone describe a baby as 'stunning'. No No No! cute gorgeuos, pretty, but not 'stunning'!

Dermot

Dermot Report 12 May 2016 17:40

Here's a thing to cogitate.

So a while back, one of the contestants on Frank Skinner’s ‘Room 101’ chose the word ‘so’ as her pet hate. So she didn’t mean the word ‘so’ in every use and context, only the way that people had started to use it fairly often at the beginning of a sentence, particularly in response to a question. By adding ‘so’ in this fashion, the lady guest reckoned the speaker sounds incredibly patronising.

Unfortunately I can’t for the life of me remember who that contestant was & so it doesn't matter. Being a boring old scribbler from way back when I learned how to use joined-up letters using a quill & ink-well, I'm just a trifle on the sad side of obsessive about words, although others may disagree. So what!

So, ever since then, all I can hear is people answering questions with sentences starting with ‘so’. It’s driving me crazy. So, at first I tried to put it down to being simply that phenomenon when you think of something and then can’t stop spotting it - like Donald Trump’s hairdo or David Cameron's luminous forehead, for example.

This new ‘so’ is almost iconically pandemic. Those on the radio and TV who believe they possess a tiny piece of knowledge that the audience might not understand, thinks that if they start their answer with ‘so’, it will for some bizarre reason make their answer clearer, while preserving their image as some kind of superior being with esoteric knowledge that they are deigning to share with us - the linguistically challenged listening Plebs.

“So EBOLA is not an airborne virus, which means it’s cannot be carried on the air.” “So cows eat the grass and then we milk the said animals and make the cheese from the milk.”

So, it’s getting to me. It’s not the word ‘so’ that irks me particularly - it's not yet a recognised rude word which should not be uttered in front of your mum - but more the way it’s now being used or misused. We all know language is an amorphous entity, with culture and technology providing new words, but it’s people like us who choose which ones we want to retain or leave behind.

I love the process as it keeps us scribblers on our toes while offering a zeitgeist insight into the minds, styles and preferences of our society. So, the next time you hear somebody giving an explanation starting with ‘so’, tippex over the word in your mind and see if their sentence suffers in the slightest. I don’t think so.

PS: So in my next Epistle, I might nominate another excessively used word - 'like'. So, would you like that?

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 12 May 2016 17:40

I had a call from Sky the other day asking if I was happy with the service and loads of questions - every time I answered the man said "awesome" :-S

Jane

Jane Report 12 May 2016 18:33

I hate the way everyone(not everyone of course lol ) starts what they say with the word SO.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 12 May 2016 19:01

or, as on Jeremy Kyle - "basically" and ending with "innit"

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 12 May 2016 21:23

I seem to have started something here. :-) :-)

I agree about unique - and expressions like more bigger; more slower etc. and I when it should be me!

OH and I both shout at the TV when things are incorrect - usually in unison. Sad, aren't we? :-)

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 12 May 2016 21:36

thought it was good when Donald Trump proclaimed he would be winning "bigly" :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 13 May 2016 01:21

Amazing!

Hopefully.

Decimated when something worse than decimation (dec = 10) has occurred. Decimation is the killing of one in ten.

Obviously obviously.

Nobody was EVER sat at a table, they had sat or were sitting.

Hopefully that coat of paint that is two shades lighter will brighten up this room. No it won't. That paint has no hope, no regrets, no emotion at all, it doesn't care AND shades are Not lighter. tone are lighter, shades darken., baisically.

Now I'm off!!

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 13 May 2016 09:41

Thank you Sharron ,you said what I have always cringed at...
I was sat...lIf we had said that at school we would have been corrected into saying..I was sitting!

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 13 May 2016 09:58

AMAZING
It must be the most overused word on TV and it drives me nuts.
Talent shows are the worst.
Can nobody think of another adjective?

Scottish vocabulary is even worse
DefinATEly always makes me cringe but, worst of all is... YOUS.

The plural of you is you!

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 13 May 2016 10:07

Glad it's not only me...shows that our schooling really taught us grammar!!

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 13 May 2016 10:29

Random apostrophes ?

Cd's, Poncho's, Whiskey's and Pizza's

I have seen all of the above in the last few weeks.
On shop signs and on a trendy pub blackboard

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 13 May 2016 10:49

Those pretentious adverts - 'Inspire the Next', 'Create Amazing' etc... Amazing what? The next what?

Hero/heroic
Iconic
Mandate - everyone seems to have one these days
Agree with Sharron about 'decimated'
National Treasure