General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Two very nice young American men

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rambling

Rambling Report 24 May 2016 21:02

just knocked at my door. Oh dear, I don't like to be mean so I set myself up for a return visit I think. Right when I am in the middle of looking at census and concentrating is NOT the time when my brain comes up with a pat answer to "What do you think you are here for?".

Yep Mormons, sweet little lads about the same age as son, as crisp and clean cut as fresh white sheets lol, Quite interested that I was doing genealogy ( not watching Downton Abbey!) and knew 'their' family search site and wondered if we were cousins somewhere down the line :-)

Now what do i say when they come back?!

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 24 May 2016 21:07

Did you forget something?

Rambling

Rambling Report 24 May 2016 21:12

:-D

or I might offer to do their family tree for them ;-)

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 24 May 2016 21:21

Give them the name of your brick walls and ask them to help.

Rambling

Rambling Report 24 May 2016 21:28

I don't dislike them that much Ann lol :-)

I fear I am not for conversion, it is rather more likely they would stagger out of here needing a good top up of faith.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 24 May 2016 21:34

Lol they are always so polite but sooo difficult to get rid of.

Rambling

Rambling Report 24 May 2016 21:52

I may leave it to Dan next time :-) He is very polite to cold callers, but more 'definite'.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 24 May 2016 22:08

my Dad always asked religious groups into the house and then proceed to argue with them - he was a staunch atheist!!

I have a sign on my door which, amongst other things, says I do not want visits from any religious groups - it works!!

Before that I had a dust up with some JW's which caused me to put the sign up

In the past I had Mormons visit and they are always polite in the extreme - one lot came when I was washing my car, and they offered to finish it off for me :-D

Kay????

Kay???? Report 24 May 2016 22:55

Tell them that Mormonism isnt a religion its a way of life founded by Joseph Smith in the 1800s.
And yes they still have multi wives,,,,,,,see Cody Brown for a start,,,,,,,,who wants to subscribe to that sort of religion...........note its the men who have the extra........women arent allowed to take extra husbands Rose. :-D

Rambling

Rambling Report 24 May 2016 23:10

God Kay, I wouldn't want one now let alone more than one lol :-)

In any case, aside from the obvious things that I don't believe that they believe, i couldn't live without coffee ;-)

Rambling

Rambling Report 24 May 2016 23:12

Perhaps I could arrange with the nice girl ( JW) who comes round to come at the same time, and just leave them to it?

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 25 May 2016 01:41

We stayed near Salt Lake City back in the early 1980s when we were on a camping trip with our daughter, and went in to SLC from there.

I'd forgotten about the no coffee ................ until we couldn't find anywhere to have morning or afternoon coffee :-0

We did stop by to check out our family names in the card file .............. none of the ones we then knew about were on file (they are now, but not by me!!!)

OH and I went back for a meeting in the late 1990s, by which time it was possible to get coffee in many places :-D

Tourism dollars you know :-D :-D

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 25 May 2016 02:18

I have loads of Mormons on my family tree :-0

When the shiny young men knock on my door I'm polite, but let them know I'm not interested........ but I wonder if they might be distant cousins :-D I'm not going to ask!

We don't get many God-Botherers now........ I think the word got out about our neighbour........ hahaha......... it's a treat to hear him ... and watch the door-knockers take off.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 25 May 2016 03:26

LS ..........

Many of my ancestral names are now found on the Mormon file, but they have all been added later ......... I found the name of one person who had added many of them, and made an attempt to contact her.

Turned out the address they provided (in OZ) didn't even exist :-D I found the town, found a postal directory, no such street.

I have to admit that one ancestor, his wife and their younger children left Australia about 10 years after emigrating from England, on board a Mormon ship bound for California. I gather the ship was taking Mormons to proselytize on the gold fields.

The older children stayed in SA, 3 or 4 of them were already married.

I found it very interesting that only one of that family went as far as Utah, and then only for a couple of years. The others all stayed in CA, becoming known as farming pioneers in their area ............. and were baptised, married, and buried in the equivalent of the CofE, NOT the Mormon faith.

I think they just wanted a cheap way to get to the US :-D

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 25 May 2016 06:27

Some of my distant rellies helped quarry the stone for, and helped to build the big "Tabernacle" in Salt Lake City.

All those wives!!!!!!! How on earth could one man support multiple wives (some had 10 wives) and a tribe of children? They couldn't have all lived in the same house :-S

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 25 May 2016 07:54

We get JW's round here occasionally. Some take notice of the 'no cold callers' sign and others don't. They are always polite, as are we. I simply smile and tell that we are practicing Christians, but I guess I must have a 'no nonsense' look in my eye, as they nod and back away :-D

Haven't ever had Mormons here which is a bit strange as the largest Mormon temple in Europe is only a few miles away.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 25 May 2016 10:16

my son's friend found a way of deterring them - he had noticed they had arrived on his road in large numbers so he took off all his clothes and when they knocked on his door he just opened it and they fled - don't think they'll be calling back :-D

Dermot

Dermot Report 25 May 2016 11:04

Keep the coffee percolator on simmer.

The aroma around the whole house will be very welcome to any caller. Go on - make their day & invite them in for a nice cupa & bourbon biscuit. Your reward will be great in the afterlife. :-)

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 25 May 2016 11:54

what a coincidence Barry :-D :-D :-D :-D

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 25 May 2016 12:03

Co-incidentally, I usually open the door to JW in my dressing gown & then proceed to cough and snuffle. That usually sees them off :-D

One of the rare Morman missionaries gave me his Book of Morman. All I asked was what their belief system was. Couldn't face reading it, nor to throw it away. It got donated to the local Library.