General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I am stunned!

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 31 Aug 2016 08:48

Last week I was involved in a slight road traffic collision. The driver of the other car was an older man very rude to me. He was shaking his finger at me when we were talking. I told him not to shake and point his finger at me, he said I will point at who I want to.

This was not a CRASH, just a slight impact, as he was trying to manoeuvre into a parking space.

His attitude was aggressive and threatening, so I said I wasn't going to stand and argue with him. We exchanged the necessary details and left him there.

No serious damage to either car, one one was injured his wife actually got out of their car and walked into the hairdressers.

I reported the incident to my insurance company, and they were very helpful, told me not too worry, so I forgot about it.

I was stunned to receive a letter from my insurance to say this horrid man is claiming personal injury.

I was more concerned about his attitude and behaviour than the car.

He is claiming whiplash! :-S

Island

Island Report 31 Aug 2016 09:23

Surely photos of damage to your car would suggest whether or not whiplash was a likely result?
Perhaps he had a 'coming together' with another stationary object elsewhere?

Mersey

Mersey Report 31 Aug 2016 09:34

Good morning Polly, quite a while back I had a similar thing happen to me,
My insurance at the time argued with this and it was said there was no evidence
the person lost their claim.....hopefully this will happen to you although can be a
worrying time waiting for the outcome...Glad you are ok <3

Unfortunately there are what we call Triers!!!! :-| but also there are the genuine
Ones just hard deciphering :-(

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 31 Aug 2016 11:24

If he hit you while trying to park how can he claim whiplash? Silly man.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 31 Aug 2016 11:56

his fault, by the way you describe it.........pity you don't have a dash cam.......?

or did you hit him while he was trying to park?
Bob

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 31 Aug 2016 12:00

Is that what happened, did he hit you while trying to park or did you hit him? It sounds as if he is trying it on. eventually we will all fit cameras to our cars for this very purpose. I hope your insurers fight it.

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 31 Aug 2016 12:01

I wouldn't worry too much Polly. Insurance companies are becoming much stricter on wanting medical evidence of whiplash as there are so many false claims.

A while ago we had a car go into the back of us while we were stationary at a roundabout. We were encouraged by an off-duty policeman to claim for whiplash. When I said we didn't need to as we were unhurt, his answer was "Everyone does it". He seemed amazed when I said that was one of the reasons why our insurance premiums are so high - he couldn't connect the two things.

I also had a very, very minor knock that was my fault. The other car wanted to make an insurance claim which seemed odd as there was virtually no damage but I had to go along with it. A week or so later I received a letter from the other driver demanding that I pay her £100 which was the excess on her insurance that she claimed she would lose. I couldn't see why she would lose it as I had admitted being at fault, so I sent the letter straight to my insurance company. They later told me that she had a nil excess on her insurance and was just trying to get a crafty £100 out of me :-| Why are people so dishonest?

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 31 Aug 2016 13:28

I wouldn't worry either.

You insurers will demand proof of his claims including examining the damage to his vehicle. Also a full report from either his GP or A & E.

We fitted a dash cam a couple of months ago (really cheap and easy to fit). This just for peace of mind.

My OH suffered injury after he was involved in an accident and had to provide a lot of medical reports even after the police and ambulance service had attended the scene.

I really don't think he has a cat's chance in hell.

Sue

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 31 Aug 2016 17:17

my son and dil were in a queue on the motorway a while back when the woman in front reversed her car into them and then accused them of damaging her parking sensors - they hadn't moved - she took their details and kept ringing them - in the end my son said "I know where you live and if you bother us again I'll come and burn your house down" - they never heard from her again!!! :-D

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 2 Sep 2016 10:42

I was taking my daughter to work yesterday during rush hour.
As I expected, I hit a wall of slow moving traffic on the motorway and the usual 15min journey took almost an hour.

White van man behind me the whole way was so restless he was making me twitchy.
I have privacy glass on my car . He did not know that I could see him

He spent half his journey texting and reading texts.
Every few minutes he glances up and brakes hard
For another 5 minutes,he had his entire face pressed on his steering wheel between his hands.
Glances up and brakes hard
Then he stretches. He puts both hands flat against the inside roof and keeps moving forward.
Brakes hard.
Then, he undoes his shirt, pulls out a can of deodorant and sprays himself under each arm.
Brakes hard.
Re-buttons his shirt and stares out his passenger side window
Brakes hard

This went on for the entire journey until I finally left the motorway.
I wonder if he manged to avoid hitting the car in front of me after I left.
I guess he would claim that it wasn't his fault either

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 2 Sep 2016 11:38

In last years Autumn Statement George Osborne announced that cash payments for minor whiplash claims will be banned under new plans to put an end to the dodgy claims industry that costs insurers – and the innocent drivers who pay their premiums – around £1bn per year.

Instead, claimants who say they are suffering from whiplash after minor car bumps and scrapes will be offered physiotherapy and treatment by their insurers.

The value of shares in leading personal claims solicitors Slater and Gordon halved overnight as a result of the announcement......!

The measures have already saved the insurance industry a whopping £520million but only this week there were complaints that this had not yet resulted in a lowering of premiums to drivers.

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 2 Sep 2016 12:31

Thank you all so much for your comments. Reading them has made me feel much better. I am still waiting to hear from my insurers, even though they reassured me it's still rather worrying.

It's just that the fact that it wasn't a CRASH, that surprised me. It's just a scrape no initial impact and certainly not enough to cause whiplash by any sense of the imagination.

As I stated in my OP the other driver was not a very pleasant man. I think his actions have confirmed this.

I will keep you posted!

Have a good weekend everyone

Sharron

Sharron Report 2 Sep 2016 12:41

Was he parking his car in a public car park? If he was there will probably be CCTV evidence of you driving sideways into him!

Can't think why it is so hard to get an appointment with the doctor can you?

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 2 Sep 2016 12:46

Sharron I have been driving for more years than I care to remember. and It was my first bump.

I still haven't learned how to drive my car sideways!

Sharron

Sharron Report 2 Sep 2016 13:17

This is exactly what I meant.

There will be film of the silly old sod. Maybe you can claim off him. Now there's a thought!

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 2 Sep 2016 13:18

Sharron I know!

Sharron

Sharron Report 2 Sep 2016 13:19

But did he?

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 2 Sep 2016 13:21

He was certainly full of his own importance.

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 2 Sep 2016 16:11

Yes he is trying it on, maybe even a deliberate act.
Just leave it to your insurers and don't on any account deal with him personally.
There is a name for people like him it starts with an Anglo Saxon word and finishes with the place all excrement emerges from!

Remember don't let the B******s grind you down! ;-)

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 2 Sep 2016 17:10

If you have a minor non-accident collision with another the norm is to exchange details with the other driver. Whether you are at fault or not the insurance companies will then apply their kock 4 knco system and you will enjoy shelling out from your excess - £ 200-400 for most. Grrr. On top the other party can invent all kinds of stuff.

In London letting somebody have yr address linked to a plate can be dangerous and is best avoided if poss. Riff raff are known to have on purpose minor collisions with valuable motors in order to get the address. Next thing you know the motor is in a container at Harwich.

It is impossible to access cctv - it is only available to the police for crime enquiries and the property owner.

If you don't give the other driver yr details but just tell him to s-d off. He will of course be displeased and may even give you the finger. His only recourse is to report the matter to the fuzz. They will then send you a Notice requiring you to report the even with details of your insurer. Just ignore it it will never ever be followed up unless you live way out in the sticks where they have nothing else to do.

Modern life is a jungle best use yr claws.