General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

THE SPAM UPRISING! :-0

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 22 Oct 2016 13:09

Edited... WARNING! Please read posts further down this page

I have a GMail account.

All of a sudden up to 100 emails a day are going into the Spam section, from what look like legitimate sites (ie Aldi, M&S, British Airways etc)
It has never happened before!

Any ideas? :-S :-S :-S

I have not opened any of them and deleted up to 1,000 in the last few days.
The first line of one from "Costco" says ...."Your historical purchase has brought you here to receive £150 from us. COSTCO.COM.UK. Dear ....." :-0 :-0 :-0

Barbra

Barbra Report 22 Oct 2016 14:02

Hello Jem .I get a few but nothing like your amount. I just delete .have won points on supermarket shop ? bank account been compromised ? win money ? Can you not get on to your service provider & get them blocked .maybe change your password .hope someone can help Barbra x

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 22 Oct 2016 14:21

Hi Barbra :-)

The only thing I can think of, is that my email addy has been sold on to companies recently.

I don't think it's to do with being hacked. That happened to me before, when I was tricked by a fake google page into entering my password. The hacker then used my account to get access to my Contacts and emails were being sent from my account.

Anyone can send you emails if they have your email address, so I'm inclined to think (hopefully) it's probably the first theory. :-(

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 22 Oct 2016 14:47

Why do shops now offer to send your receipt to your e-mail address?

It's there, on the till, press the bl**dy button and give it to me!! :-| :-|

It's a small bit of paper to you, it's an expensive print out for me if I need to return the goods.

I also have no wish to give any firm my e-mail address to sell on, or use to send me yet more useless e-mails :-P :-P

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 22 Oct 2016 14:51

Hi Maggie :-)

I wonder if that is it!

Cos I have recently bought items from A*gos, and they have sent me email receipts.
As you say, it's much harder to return goods with this method.

I wonder if that's the source of my problem.
Or it could have been the Holiday company I bought a holiday from recently.

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 22 Oct 2016 15:01

I've just started getting masses on my orangemail which I use very .little, just for some addresses which make it hard to change to my preferred account. Lots are the ones offering vouchers! Just keep labelling. .them as spam and deleting

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 22 Oct 2016 15:11

That's exactly what is happening to me, Elizabeth - Most are offering vouchers and discounts.

I have just deleted today's 56!
More are on their way, no doubt :-D

Barbra

Barbra Report 22 Oct 2016 16:10

Jem I have a number of vouchers being put on emails .Different eating places & Sainbury,s .get 1000 more point s if you do survey That's what is going on with mine .looks like they do sell on emails ,me a novice didn't realise it, Or a senior Moment .Hope you get it Sorted <3 I am going for a cuppa Barbra x If you use all the Vouchers Jem think of All the Money you could Save ;-)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 22 Oct 2016 16:31

It's strange, but when I ask for the paper receipt, rather than being sent one, some sales assistants act like I'm being 'stroppy' - I then have to explain to them why - and often (as by now, I AM stroppy) inform them that just giving me the receipt would, by now, have save 5 precious minutes of my life!!

My local supermarket has now given up offering me a 'loyalty' card.
They used to offer - I refused politely.
If they dared ask me why, I'd explain that I don't want my purchase choices 'analysed' by faceless idiots as part of some faux 'survey', and my lifestyle decided on what is, essentially merely a small part of my food shopping.

In other words, they'd think I was some alcoholic with a weird lust for cheese, cream, eggs and desserts :-| (main shopping is done elsewhere) :-D

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 22 Oct 2016 16:50

Argos is the only place I have come across this - so far. The man in Argos is very nice though. If I say "No, thanks", his response is "Just a moment," pause and he hands me the receipt.

Our email is BT and we were told once, when we had a similar problem with unwanted junk emails, not to waste time deleting all the spam. Eventually it falls off the end all by itself! (After 30 days, in our case.)

Annx

Annx Report 22 Oct 2016 21:07

Jem I had a very similar problem when they changed 'the platform?' or something for my emails a few months ago. I was getting dozens every day and it was doing my head in trying to keep up with 'unsubscribing' and deleting. Then I couldn't unsubscribe from some as they took too long to load the unsubscribe screen!! Others had no way to unsubscribe and then I got others that would only let me 'snooze' them for 3 months. Now I block them by sending them to spam and it's making a big difference. The trouble is I get the impression that those that have got my email address somehow are selling on to others as new ones have cropped up!! :-S :-S

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 22 Oct 2016 22:22

i have had "You have won a £xxx voucher" from aldi ,argos alsorts of companies etc...but the "office" address is somewhere in america........or

.eu

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 22 Oct 2016 23:00

Thanks for your responses Everyone :-)

Another puzzling thing that is happening-

I have Facebook Account that I have never ever used. I only have it to "steal" family photos from their Facebook pages.
Nearly everyday, I get a gmail from Facebook telling me there are notifications there in my Facebook Account
Yesterday, the gmail said it was now 53 notifications.

Yet every time I check, there are no notifications there!
Now what's that all about? :-S :-S :-S :-S :-D

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 23 Oct 2016 03:08

SPAM UPDATE!

Having read Bob's post, I logged back in to my gmail account.
I hovered the mouse over the spam companies names ...

..... and they are all dodgy addresses! most from abroad.
I am assuming that they are potential security risks!
Thankfully, I deleted them all instead of opening them.

So, thanks Bob :-)

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 23 Oct 2016 15:21

TODAY'S SPAM SHOCKER

.....A WARNING TO EVERYONE

The first of today's Spam has arrived ...

M&S
The first line reads (I obviously will not click on it but the first line can be seen)

"Up to 70% off selected items at M&S. my email addy.. This is not a gift card.. It's an M&S Gift Card..One of the nations shining jewels in th "

M&S? ...... NO!! :-0 :-0 :-| :-| :-|
Hovering your mouse over the company name of M&S reveals the sender.

tricky
@edgemontpark.e396.tohatchi.moleculescary.gdn

PEEPS ....DELETE YOUR SPAM STRAIGHT AWAY!
Also .... even legitimate emails .... do the hover test to be on the safe side, or your security could be badly compromised! :-( :-( :-(

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 23 Oct 2016 16:31

I don't know what I hovered over in the email list but must have clicked something because several spam emails now display Chinese (or similar) letters. Makes it easy to spot them.

Done it again below simply by clicking something (although just descriptive of message).

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252
{\fonttbl\f0\fnil\fcharset0 .HelveticaNeueInterface-Regular;}
{\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red0\green0\blue0;}
\deftab720
\pard\pardeftab720\partightenfactor0

\f0\fs34 \cf0 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0
\outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 \
}

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 23 Oct 2016 16:33

Gremlins .... :-S

(My favourite CHRISTMAS film.)

Robert

Robert Report 23 Oct 2016 16:35

Just had an Email from Hamburg, Germany asking me to do a "Paid Survey" (payment 50p!!!)

If I want to opt out I have to go on to their Website and fill in my details !!
Oh no I won't.

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 23 Oct 2016 18:55

2 more have arrived.

There seem to be less coming in since I mass deleted them lol!

1. Costco
visible line: "Your purchase #25487- Your historical purchase has brought you here to receive £150 from us COSTCO.COM,UK Dear .............

Real address:
lesa
@sthelens.5550.alba.nhxyglat.us

2. eDF
visible line: "You deserve this gift card- eDF Energy Our own way of saying "Thank you"! dear .......... We give you this voucher to say "Thank you" just f"

Real Address:
sebewaing
@burney.Ob12.oriental.ryoxjniz.us

Thank Goodness GMail is sending them straight to Spam and not into the promotions section, where all my legit sites e.g. Argos, FMP, Ancestry, Asda etc go. :-0

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 24 Oct 2016 18:01

6 more today .... at least the number are going down

ALL CONS

1 from "eBay"
address
westview
@ . ......... WAIT FOR IT! .....

Conningtowers :-D :-Dnautilus spark.40d.1alanson.hewasapioneero (and then it runs out of space!)

1 from "LIDL" .... is really from .... Gerasim (GET A SIM! :-D)

Sebewaing is still trying hard pretending to be from IKEA.
This time he/she is trying a different addy
sebewaing @forgetful ...........

:-0 :-0 :-0 :-0 :-0