General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Plates

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 1 Apr 2017 21:16

What is so wrong about eating off a plate?

We went to a Harvester yesterday (Oh how the other half lives!) and I ordered a beetroot and halloumi burger, a pretty strange concoction in itself, and OH had some sort of burger. They were alright to eat but they were served on a metal tray with a piece of paper under the food. It had sloping sides about an inch deep and handles!

We have, at different cafes and restaurants we have visited, also been obliged to eat from slate tiles and breadboards. Why this should be I cannot imagine but, then again, I have never understood the idea of having your dinner in a basket.

Really, I much prefer to eat my meal from a plate, I know where I am with that.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 1 Apr 2017 21:23

I always wonder exactly how washable, and therefore, clean, these odd receptacles are :-(

Caroline

Caroline Report 1 Apr 2017 21:32

I'm guessing they don't clean overly well hence the paper !

Allan

Allan Report 1 Apr 2017 22:40

When I was a child it was considered that families that used jam jars as drinks containers had reached the lowest ebb of poverty.:-0

Nowadays it is considered extremely chic to be served drinks in such vessels, especially in all the so called higher end eateries.

Particularly with hot coffee, I want a container (cup) with a handle so that I can at least hold the flaming thing :-|

Caroline

Caroline Report 1 Apr 2017 22:50

No wonder your coffee is hot Allan if it's flaming.....what do you add to it :-D

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 1 Apr 2017 22:53

bits of steak served on red hot volcanic rock....................stinks like nothing on earth....

Allan

Allan Report 1 Apr 2017 23:10

Caroline, usually a dash of Cognac, and then set a match to it :-P :-D :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 1 Apr 2017 23:55

Oh yes, I forgot about the jam jars.

Have never had anything served in one of those (too high end I expect) but have always wondered why you would.

Square plates don't quite do it for me either.

Caroline

Caroline Report 2 Apr 2017 00:07

I can well believe it Allan :-D

Allan

Allan Report 2 Apr 2017 05:56

Caroline, I'll post a retort to your comment when I have sobered up.....probably by next Thursday! :-( :-D :-D :-D

Dermot

Dermot Report 2 Apr 2017 09:48

The starving population of South Sudan & other miserable places would love to have even a spoonful of food served in a jam jar.

And they wouldn't waste time checking the 'best by date' on the container.

Allan

Allan Report 2 Apr 2017 10:13

Too true, Dermot :-(

Caroline

Caroline Report 2 Apr 2017 12:13

Allan how will we know when you've sobered up? :-D

Dermot I don't doubt that they and many others would....

Sharron

Sharron Report 2 Apr 2017 13:16

Oh leave it out Dermot.

Not having a laugh about coffee in a jam jar is not going to help the starving in South Sudan or anywhere else any more than it is going to stop your roses having blackfly.

Just maybe some of have given the price of the coffee we don't want to drink from a jar, and you don't know how many coffees that might be to a fund to help alleviate the suffering of the people of South Sudan. You just never know.

AND I will tell you here that I doubt I will ever cook a cake in a mug.

Caroline

Caroline Report 2 Apr 2017 13:27

Yeah that cake in a mug thing is weird but at least it made my daughter bake something for once......only cos she really wanted it and I refuse to do it ! :-D

Dermot

Dermot Report 2 Apr 2017 13:29

Sharron - sorry that my roguishly dry sense of humour dented your frail imagination.

Old age has given me a thick skin & I'm a bit deaf plus my mind wanders. My memory goes back to at least half past eight this morning. My brain is on holiday much of the time but the rest of my body is still stuck here.

I stopped watching 'Britain's Got Talent' on TV when the 2012 winner was announced - a performing dog named Pudsey. As a pure-bred Philistine, I couldn't take any more of such nonsense. It wasn't the little cute dog's fault!

Caroline

Caroline Report 2 Apr 2017 13:35

Oh that dry sense of humour of yours is so dry we should call it Sahara ....

Sharron

Sharron Report 2 Apr 2017 13:36

Dermot, just stop it ,please.

Dermot

Dermot Report 2 Apr 2017 13:40

Greek restaurants have little respect for plates & other crockery. Grab & smash!

Sharron

Sharron Report 2 Apr 2017 13:44

Couldn't do that with a tin tray.