General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Saints Days

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Eldrick

Eldrick Report 23 Apr 2017 20:06

Does anyone else see the delicious irony of a Turkish born Roman soldier being venerated by the far right nationalists as an icon of Englishness?

'Proud to be English but we worship a member of the empire that conquered us, who never came here and we don't know why we do it. Nor did we know that he is also the patron saint of syphilis, leprosy and herpes sufferers'

I love it :)

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 23 Apr 2017 20:10

It does make me :-D :-D :-D

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 23 Apr 2017 20:20

The English only arrived in the British Isles as the Romans left. Starting with Hengist and Horsa they were in large part responsible for the Roman exit. Besides which the Romans were broke. defence cuts...

English patron Saint was St Edmund until 1385 when the Norman French wanted somebody more to their taste def not a Saxon.

Eldrick

Eldrick Report 23 Apr 2017 20:38

None of which explains why the far right worship the patron saint of syphilis :)

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 23 Apr 2017 20:42

Maybe the thinking was if the Honored him

They wont get it :-D :-D :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 23 Apr 2017 20:48

I think you'll find there were English people in England before the Romans. :-S

The English language may have started out as a West Germanic dialect, and the English may have been from diverse origins, but they were still English, and. by then, generations had been born in England.
Your 'statement' is like saying non-Welsh speakers aren't Welsh!

What happened after the Romans left, was that the Englis eventually developed a common cultural identity as Anglo-Saxons, and the language slowly evolved to what we know as 'English' today.

Eldrick

Eldrick Report 23 Apr 2017 20:49

That's a distinct possibility but a bit of a coin toss - do they get it by worshipping him or not get it by worshipping him. He doesn't really make it very clear. I think George needs to brush up on his aims and objectives and public image, to be honest. It's all very confusing.

Eldrick

Eldrick Report 23 Apr 2017 20:50

Again, Maggie, that's all very interesting but it doesn't explain what I'm on about :)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 23 Apr 2017 20:53

As far as I'm aware, no one 'worships' saints. Believers may ask them for intercession, but that's it.

Eldrick

Eldrick Report 23 Apr 2017 21:10

OK, well, I disagree - given the amount of hyperbole that exists around the far right and St George one could be forgiven for thinking that waving the flag, having statues of him, invoking his name, painting pictures of him in a heroic poise and generally holding him in such high esteem could be tantamount to worship. But, lets go for the middle ground and call it venerating. Still doesn't explain why they do it :)

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 23 Apr 2017 21:11

Do we have any proof he really existed ??? ;-) ;-)

Eldrick

Eldrick Report 23 Apr 2017 21:13

Yes, he killed a dragon. What more proof do you want? Tsk.

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 23 Apr 2017 21:16

Lol
Well Dragons are pretty common round here
So he must be real :-D :-D

Eldrick

Eldrick Report 23 Apr 2017 21:35

There's none up here so I reckon he's doing a good job. Just needs to put some work into his publicity, that's all. I have to say its pretty cool being able to kill dragons and cure the clap all in the same day before lunchtime. I wonder what he could do if he really tried?

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 23 Apr 2017 21:49

I have no idea why they do it either Eldrick.
Possibly the 'usual' cause of actions by the far right - ignorance!

At least those supporting St Patrick get to have a good p*ss up.
A day off to 'celebrate' George/Edmund/ some other random ancient person (in our own way. of course) would be a bonus :-D

Kense

Kense Report 23 Apr 2017 21:51

The village of Wormingford in Essex gets its name from a dragon that was killed by Sir George Marney in the reign of Richard I. It is now thought that the dragon must have been a crocodile.

Eldrick

Eldrick Report 23 Apr 2017 21:56

I heard that story - escaped from the menagerie. A bit like Lord Lambton up here who slew a giant serpent. They even wrote a song about him. Must have been a nightmare living in England then, all those dragons, crocodiles, gigantic serpents and other such forms of carnivorous beasties. Must have played hell with the tourist boards and I would have hated to have a bed and breakfast business.

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 23 Apr 2017 22:19

And I wont forget those Giant worms

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNDltwH14zM

;-) ;-)

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/local-news/unexplained-north-braags-yotuns-lambton-6736846

Dermot

Dermot Report 24 Apr 2017 16:07

St George has not been researched enough.

Eldrick

Eldrick Report 24 Apr 2017 18:26

Probably for the best. A few bubbles may get burst if it was done honestly :)