General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Why is it always me?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

RockyMountainShy

RockyMountainShy Report 28 Aug 2017 22:47

I have lived with C.P. for over 50 years now. So I should be used to the stares from kids I pass, right?
I tell myself it doesn’t matter; it is just the way it is. But it does matter; it matters and bothers me a lot. When they stare I want to stick my tongue out at them, :-P but that would be very immature of me. I smile when they walk into something or someone when they are staring at me and not looking where they are going. I want to ask them what are they looking at, but I can’t do that.
My gait and the way I speak and sound is part of me, and I can’t change that, but god just once I wish they would stare at someone else and not make me feel ashamed of who I am. :-( :-|
I think I will go back and hide under my rock again now. Thanks for reading.

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget Report 28 Aug 2017 22:59

You have no reason to be ashamed RMS. Perhaps cultivate a "teachers stare" i.e. a fixed wide eyed look with raised eyebrows. Maybe they will be disconcerted by you for a change.

A speech therapist may even advise pulling faces as a useful facial muscle exercise. Why not have fun doing it.

Hope that you are feeling a little more cheerful now. I reckon that I would be willing the little starers to walk into a lamppost or into dog muck or something of the sort if I was being stared at.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 29 Aug 2017 03:53

I agree ...............

you have no reason to be ashamed.

They are at fault.

I think Tess' idea of the teacher's stare is a good one :-D

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 29 Aug 2017 07:36

My step grandson has learning difficulties but he is a lovely lad now of 17 although he looks about 12
One of his body reactions is to put his hands up in the air and shake them .rather like the minstrels hand shaking when they were singing mammy !!

He did this one time and an elderly lady stopped and stared at him with a sneer on her face . It annoyed me and I said to her do you have a problem???
No she sneeringly replied . Then dont stare then at someone who has was my reply

She blustered and walked away muttering .My lad said what's up nanny . Nothing I said ,the lady had a pain in her tummy !!!!
Sad was his reply .
Yes very sad !!!!

David

David Report 29 Aug 2017 08:06

Try not to get down RMS (sometimes not easy) The younger generation have a lot to learn that just might make them wiser. <3

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 29 Aug 2017 08:07

It's sad that it's children staring.
They should know about CP and other conditions, like ADHD, Asperger's and Autism - there's bound to be at least one child in their school with one or the other!!
Something missing when I was at school.

Francesca Martinez puts it into perspective!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12WMNauEKvQ

Leslie

Leslie Report 29 Aug 2017 09:33

My children,,and since,, my grandchildren,,often say "" OH-OH!! Dad's got his Daddy face on"... That's all I need for control..You can borrow it if you like or I'll pop along and teach you how to do it....
Never be ashamed of who you are or what you are..Their the one's we should feel sorry for..It's them who have the problems,,not us...
Chin up...show who's best...
<3 <3 :-D :-D LES...

Leslie

Leslie Report 29 Aug 2017 09:34

My children,,and since,, my grandchildren,,often say "" OH-OH!! Dad's got his Daddy face on"... That's all I need for control..You can borrow it if you like or I'll pop along and teach you how to do it....
Never be ashamed of who you are or what you are..Their the one's we should feel sorry for..It's them who have the problems,,not us...
Chin up...show who's best...
<3 <3 :-D :-D LES...

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 29 Aug 2017 12:39

There is no automatic correlation between c.p. And learning difficulhies. For many it is just varying degrees of "clumsiness" which is far too often regarded as a "learning problem". Mac and Windows both have built in features which help those with motor problems a lot. There is a lot of custom software Inc voice control.

There are more than a few c.p. People doing well in knowledge industries even running as C.E.O.

For those that really do have problems therapy can do a lot while a smigeon of patience will connect with the person.

Don't let them put you down.

Sharron

Sharron Report 29 Aug 2017 13:37

Being fat, I find that I always look for whatever imperfection others are trying to hide, just in case they try to amaze me with their powers of observation in noticing that I am fat.

To be honest, I probably try to goad them into saying something so that I can make them squirm and if your problems were mine I would probably be exaggerating every twitch and shuffle to frighten them.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 29 Aug 2017 22:24

Shy, don't let the morons get you down, you have probably done more in your life than they will ever achieve. Karma will get them on your behalf, don't doubt it!

Lizxx

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 29 Aug 2017 22:42

I wish there was a 'like' button, Liz <3

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 30 Aug 2017 08:37

Shy, you are you and like the rest of us on here are not perfect. On here we are all equal because we are unable to see each other. You can't see the problems I have with hearing for example especially when people (i.e. in shops) are impatient when they have to repeat what they have said. It is just that your CP makes the problems you have more visible to others.

The problem is theirs, not yours but I can see how it must be frustrating. Just try and see how you have become what you are despite those problems and that makes you stronger. I was, for 8 years, a trustee of Gloucester Lifestyles, a charity that enabled the disabled by providing various forms of help and social activities for them and their carers. (until funding curtailed most of the carity's activities.) Our Chairman at the time had CP. He understood more about the financial technicalities of charities and how things worked than any of us, including the more able bodies among us, he is extremely intelligent. It is a pity that more schools don't educate their pupils better in these things. It is a pity that parents don't teach their children to look past a disability.

In our local paper yesterday a man was telling how he'd had a bad epileptic fit in one of the major grocery stores and how the staff had helped him. But the appalling thing was, when he was taken ill and fitting a couple of teenagers (who should know better) were trying to take his photo with his phone. fortunately an off duty policeman sorted them out.

On here you have a great sense of humour so I am sure that you will be able to rise above the stares. But hopefully it helps if you can come on here and rant. do not ever feel ashamed of who you are, rather feel sorry for those who mock that they are like they are, without knowledge or compassion. <3 <3 <3

kandj

kandj Report 30 Aug 2017 08:56

RMS, please don't hide under your rock.... you are getting on with your life and making a good job with all the many challenges that have been thrown your way.

You don't have the problem, but sadly the others do. Call it ignorance, or a lack of compassion or understanding??

Be proud of who you are and how far you have come. Gentle (((hugs))) for today xx

David

David Report 30 Aug 2017 10:44

AnninGlos, I'd have given the 2 of them a clip and confiscated the phone. :-|

Sharron

Sharron Report 30 Aug 2017 11:05

Isn't this one of the bravest postings you have ever seen?

People laugh at and mock what they don't understand because they are scared of it. Maybe more should be done to educate society about cerebral palsy and how everybody has different strengths.

Look at that Stephen Hawking, doesn't he look funny? He must be really stupid looking like that.

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 30 Aug 2017 11:16

RMS ..as Ann says ,none of us are perfect.I know what you mean as I have a bad scar on my neck which has embarrassed me as I had cancer there when I was 16,but as I've got older I suppose have got used to it. And I'm now 82 so think I've done well to be clear all these years.

It is a world of young people having enhancements in all sorts of areas as they strive for perfection,but they don't know what damage it can do in the future.
There are a lot of young men who have lost limbs etc in battle and it is good that they can now be fitted with limbs that enable them to walk.

Try to ignore..as Kenje says it is they who have the problem..
Xx <3 <3

ShelleyRose

ShelleyRose Report 30 Aug 2017 11:49

RMS as many have said on here try to ignore, it's their problem, none of us are perfect, I have a speech impediment which I've had all my life, I don't even think about it until someone mentions it (usually youngsters), I just tell them no-one's perfect, look after yourself. <3

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 30 Aug 2017 14:02

RMS take no notice you are who you are. Tell them to go fly a kite (polite to what I would really say) <3 <3

Mersey

Mersey Report 30 Aug 2017 14:15

RMS never ever feel ashamed of YOU!!....those who look are insignificant in your life, you do not have to feel the way to such ignorant people.

Your strength and integrity is greater than those who judge ....your whole reason for being you is being the person you are on the inside and out.

<3 <3 <3 <3