General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Rebirth of Cheddar Man (Renamed)

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Allan

Allan Report 7 Feb 2018 11:37

Rollo posted a topic regarding Cheddar Man.

From memory it was titled 'What Ancestry DNA won't tell you'

The following is from Wikipedia, and I think that it summarises the information in the topic

"DNA testing on a small sample of the skull by the Natural History Museum, showed he probably had "blue eyes, a very dark brown to black complexion and dark curly hair",

suggesting a Middle Eastern origin. This would demonstrate there was no link with other skeletons from Gough's Cave which are 5,000 years older.[10]

I have split the Wiki comment as the second part did not, from memory, appear in the post.

My post was "so?"

Whoosh!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 7 Feb 2018 12:23

He also posted this link:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/feb/07/first-modern-britons-dark-black-skin-cheddar-man-dna-analysis-reveals

..and 'declared' something like Britons were originally black.

So, having read the article and finding the 'statement' quite misleading, I posted this paragraph from the above article:

"The results pointed to a Middle Eastern origin for Cheddar Man, suggesting that his ancestors would have left Africa, moved into the Middle East and later headed west into Europe, before eventually crossing the ancient land bridge called Doggerland which connected Britain to continental Europe. Today, about 10% of white British ancestry can be linked to this ancient population"

and Kense put up a fascinating link showing Doggerland :-D

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 7 Feb 2018 12:40

If The Guardian says it's right, then it is, don't you know because we believe everything we read?

Caroline

Caroline Report 7 Feb 2018 12:45

But we should only believe what we read in certain publications....

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 7 Feb 2018 12:47

might explain where my 0.8% nigerian comes from..

Sharron

Sharron Report 7 Feb 2018 12:49

I am not going to join in this debate.

I am just going to get on with my skipping.

"Here we go gathering nuts in May".

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 7 Feb 2018 12:50

Sharron :-D :-D

..it's in the Daily Mirror too....

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 7 Feb 2018 13:12

Well, then it's doubly right!

Or does that mean the second mention of the topic negates it?

Oh, my tiny mind is perplexed ....... :-D

Caroline

Caroline Report 7 Feb 2018 13:18

I've got chalk who wants to do hopscotch??

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 7 Feb 2018 13:19

Oh! and in the Independent, and the Telegraph :-D

Telegraph didn't put it in until 12:01 - so a bit late there.
I presume they copied the information from a 'lesser' publication - same information, just the words have been re-jigged a bit.

I don't have a subscription to the Times

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 7 Feb 2018 13:36

Our local Costa provides it for a free read, Maggie. Have a trip out! :-D

They provide a local newspaper, DM, DM, G and T - never seen the S there.

I like a hard read so only look online for local BDMs if I haven't read the local rag in Costa.

OH, one bro and sis always BUY the DM (Rollo's nemesis, that is, not the reflective DM).

In the olden days my parents used to buy the DM and the DM when we were all at home.

We all share a brain of course! :-D

Edit: the topic has just been on the lunchtime news complete with a descendant (of course) with fair skin and blue eyes.

Allan

Allan Report 7 Feb 2018 13:45

B*gger, OH has brown eyes :-0

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 7 Feb 2018 13:46

Double bu**er, OH has blue eyes. :-0

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 7 Feb 2018 13:56

Thanks, JoyLouise but my 'need' isn't that bad :-(

My parents bought 'The Record' when we lived in Scotland, and the 'Daily Mirror' when we lived in England.
Personally, I found 'The Beano' much more preferable :-D

I don't buy a paper now - prefer to read online - for free.
Pre-computers, I used to buy the Guardian - until I found a dodgy advert in the 'personal' column :-|

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 7 Feb 2018 14:02

Was that when the Guardian was based in Manchester, Maggie? I have heard it may be on its way back home.

Probably read it in the DM. :-D ;-)

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 7 Feb 2018 14:03

On t'BBC news as well...

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 7 Feb 2018 14:09

Don't know, JoyLouise, it was about 30 years ago!

I didn't expect to see an advert of a lady 'offering her services' in the Guardian :-|

With 2 daughters, I decided it wasn't as 'respectable' as it alleged.

Caroline

Caroline Report 7 Feb 2018 14:28

Interesting Maggie you had enough free time to read the personals while filing your nails and drinking mugs of tea no doubt :-P :-D

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 7 Feb 2018 14:39

Why the surprise? We were taught at school that humankind evolved in Africa.
We adapt to cope with differing environments.

The BBC quotes
Pale skin probably arrived in Britain with a migration of people from the Middle East around 6,000 years ago. This population had pale skin and brown eyes and absorbed populations like the ones Cheddar Man belonged to.

No-one's entirely sure why pale skin evolved in these farmers, but their cereal-based diet was probably deficient in Vitamin D. This would have required agriculturalists to absorb this essential nutrient from sunlight through their skin.
So our pale skin evolution could be down to weaker sunlight & diet!

Kense

Kense Report 7 Feb 2018 14:42

This is the doggerland link I posted:

https://www.nationalgeographic.org/maps/doggerland/