General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Smart meters.Hve you got one?

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Florence61

Florence61 Report 7 Apr 2018 11:45

I've just seen an article about these smart meters saying rural areas like where I am will not be able to have them until 2020 because there is no one locally trained to install them.
The article goes on to say its unfair etc and people in fuel poverty need these more than others who are not.
But these meters only tell you how much energy you are consuming, they do not reduce your electricity bill.
I'm sure most people are aware that appliances such as kettles, tumble driers etc use a lot of energy?
It went on to say, the meter would give you an accurate reading of usage instead of an estimated bill. but all you have to do when the estimate arrives is read your meter, phone in the reading and get your bill updated.

Am I the only one who wonders why we really need them?

Florence
in the hebrides
:-S

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 7 Apr 2018 11:59

I have one and the only thing it does for me is not getting estimated bills or the meter reader getting stroppy when I say it's shoes off if you want to walk on my beige lounge carpet
The meters are under the stairs but the cupboard is accessed from the living room

We had always been mindful of not having unnecessary lights on etc
We always paid by monthly direct anyway and have paperless statements which I still do

The water meter though that was put in whether you wanted one or not! Is a better saver as I'm conscious of not leaving taps running etc and only flushing the loos when necessary ! :-D

The hose pipe too is only used to Jet wash the patio once a year but to clean it down periodically too as I have a tortoise who whoopsies.
I will top up the pond too when I have the pipe connected if it needs it as I have several large goldfish in it

Dermot

Dermot Report 7 Apr 2018 12:03

Mine were fitted 2 days ago. Gas & electric plus a small handy portable gadget indoors to monitor usage.

No more estimated bills - figures are electronically transmitted to the service provider.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 7 Apr 2018 12:04

No, I agree with you. I can have one any time I want, but I have refused so many times that they have now stopped pestering! :-)

I have also read, on more than one occasion, that they are not as good as the power companies like to make out, and there have been several errors in billing. One article I read advised people not to get one until they had to, in the hope that all the problems would have been ironed out.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 7 Apr 2018 12:08

No Florence, you're not the only one who wonders why they're 'needed.!
I, like many others, pay my gas/electric by direct debit.
This way, I have the same amount going out each month.
I may 'accrue' a credit in the summer, but this will usually be depleted in the Winter.

Ever the cynic, I wonder whether, once they've got most people 'on board', they'll assess when most fuel is used - then up the price for that period, to 'encourage' us not to use so much! :-| :-| :-|

Rambling

Rambling Report 7 Apr 2018 12:20

Haven't got one and am not having one. I don't have estimated bills because I read the meter myself and submit online.

Maggie that is what we think too!

Caroline

Caroline Report 7 Apr 2018 12:29

We have time of use charges, everyone started "saving" by using the cheaper times so they upped the price on the cheaper times. Also the high rates times are just when you want to cook dinner during winter. It doesn't save us any money it just allows them to make big increases slyly.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 7 Apr 2018 12:38

That's what we're worried about, Caroline :-(

Rose, at the moment, you and I can pay our bills how we like - my sister does the same as you. I regard any credit accrued as a little bonus! :-D :-D

With the 'Smart' meter, we have no choice in how we pay!

I've also heard, some of the fitters aren't 'proper' electricians, they've been on a course to learn how to fit the meters!
There are can also be problems if you change fuel provider - meters incompatible with meters.
This is, essentially, another choice removed from us :-| :-|

Dermot

Dermot Report 7 Apr 2018 13:16

'Stick with the old, but welcome the new'.

A comment frequently used by our overburdened teacher mid-1950s.

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 7 Apr 2018 13:40

Maggie - I too have heard there are likely to be problems if you want to change supplier

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 7 Apr 2018 14:39

It's a strange arrangement here. I read my own meters and send the readings online then a meter reader invariably comes a week or so later. I am about the same age as you Maggie so they may think I'm incapable but not only do I read them, I can calculate how much it is going to cost us, having been taught to do so when I was at school.

The meters are not in the house so I've stopped telling the meter reader that they're read because he just says he'll do it anyway.

I just let him get on with it now in order to keep him employed. :-D

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 7 Apr 2018 15:18

I used to phone in the readings when I had a card saying I had missed the meter reader, but after a couple of times when I got an estimated bill anyway, followed by an amended one a week or so later, I gave up and just let them get on with it!! (I always paid the estimate because I get a discount off the next bill for prompt payment.)

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 7 Apr 2018 15:27

We cant have a smart meter
as we have Medical equipment in the house :-D :-D

Florence61

Florence61 Report 7 Apr 2018 19:18

Joy Louise, I do exactly the same thing. When I ring through, I always opt to speak to someone and then ask them to work it out whilst I'm on the phone.Then when the bill comes I compare it to make sure its correct.
I never pay an estimated bill.

My late grandmother did just that for 2 years.She always said it wasn't convenient for someone to call and read the meter. She didn't think it mattered as long as she paid it.
One day, dad was going through her papers as she was getting a bit frail and forgetful. he read her meter and when the bill came it was horrendous...£600.00. She didn't have central heating but plenty of electric fires which in the winter were on nearly 24/7.

After that, dad read then every quarter so the bill was always up to date.

Interesting comments and most people seem to agree with what I think in general.
personally, a waste of money. For the amount it costs to produce these meters and pay someone to install them, they could have reduced peoples tariffs instead and saved them money!

Florence
in the hebrides

Dermot

Dermot Report 7 Apr 2018 20:29

Everyone's dream is the only possible solution - more people working less or less people working more.

Smart Meter automation will result in the redundancy of Meter Readers.

The big difficulty is figuring out a way to maintain gainful employment..

Sharron

Sharron Report 7 Apr 2018 21:04

My fuel consumption decreased considerably when Fred died, he had the washing machine and tumble dryer going daily, not to mention the equipment.

I did have the meter thing but never got around to using it, lots of other things to amuse me then!

Now we have solar panels and use considerably less electricity.

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 7 Apr 2018 23:01

I have had one for a couple of years and recently changed supplier, they just took over the meter readings without any problem.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 7 Apr 2018 23:29

There are still some issues with the meters, though, Sue.
You were lucky. There are several different smart meter manufacturers that energy suppliers use, so your new supplier may not use the same smart technology or networks as your old one.

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 7 Apr 2018 23:38

I guess we were lucky then.

Our meters are located in the most stupid places. OH has to lay on the floor for the gas reading and climb up on a step for the electricity ones.

:-( :-( :-( :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 7 Apr 2018 23:58

:-S :-S :-S