General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I do miss the old days on here.

Page 0 + 1 of 6

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Madge

Madge Report 22 Sep 2018 21:43

This is certainly no reflection of the people that post daily on here. Last week I had the most wonderful help from Londonbelle she was very patient and went way beyond helpful she went on to solve a puzzle and knock down a brick wall and went on further to provide a suggestion to move forward with another line of my tree.

I do miss my close friends who I am still in contact with over on FB, but most of all I really do miss BC. She was a wonderful friend very funny classy and had a fantastic sense of humor. and had amazing energy. I had visions of BC before I actually met her, the 1st was as Endora from Betwitched and the 2nd was of a small little headscarf wearing old lady with her hand bag in one hand and dragging her tartan shopping trolly behind her with the other , complete with wrinkled stockings dragging herself round the likes of Salford market in the 60's of course as I said she was nothing like this. She would be 83 if she was still with us.
I miss loads of others on here, some I would not class as friends but they certainly liven the place up, do you remember Just John and Cup cakes? I actually became fond of John in the end.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 22 Sep 2018 22:01

do I remember Cupcakes???

Yes, with horror!!!!

she's still around on genealogy sites on FB, where she deletes people's posts and threads if she disagrees with what they've posted :-D

Then she removes them from their membership on the site.

Needless to say ........... those are not sites that I'm interested in getting involved on :-D

On the other hand, John never deserved the banning that he got, IMHO

Madge

Madge Report 22 Sep 2018 22:10

Cupcakes was a right WUM wasn't she :-D

I didn't get on with John to begin with he had a habit of rubbing please up the wrong way on purpose and then couldn't handle the backlash but in time I changed my opinion of him he could be very funny.

Allan

Allan Report 22 Sep 2018 22:27

John had a very dry sense of humour. He, too, is on FB although I haven't 'spoken' to him on there :-)

DorothyG

DorothyG Report 22 Sep 2018 22:49

... and I wonder if you remember the Desert Island thread?
Oh we did have fun on that!

... and Gaynor (RIP) and Diana in the Pink, and Donna -oh and so many others.

I’ve just come back,on here after a long absence....

Madge

Madge Report 22 Sep 2018 22:53

Gaynor had passed before I joined but not long since, I remember Diana and Donna met them both.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 22 Sep 2018 22:58

Strump is around on my fb page and Diana is friends with Mrs Presley!

Liz

Madge

Madge Report 22 Sep 2018 23:03

Diana was my friend on FB and after I had a massive fallout with someone on here whom we was both friends with she deleted me .....its must of been about a year before I realised :-D :-D :-D

DorothyG

DorothyG Report 22 Sep 2018 23:25

“Strump” - couldn’t think of the name!
I don’t do Facebook - so please do give her my best wishes: :-)

Madge

Madge Report 22 Sep 2018 23:30

I am thinking Glenda Joan but am probably getting mixed up with someone else, Lemon Nelly was her Aunt something to do with the Aunt calling on her way from work to use the loo and shouting " I am just squeezing me Lemon Nelly " or something on them lines

DorothyG

DorothyG Report 22 Sep 2018 23:50

Oh yes many have left - started happening waaay back - there was a lot of upset from time to time. I joined in 2004 - so I doubt there’s many from that era.
We did have a few good Meet-ups, to put faces to names - they were great occasions.

... but times move on ....

But I do have many to be grateful to, who helped me to get started and I really appreciate that :-)

Sharron

Sharron Report 22 Sep 2018 23:50

I am Facebook friends with Eldrick.

Madge

Madge Report 23 Sep 2018 00:04

DorothyG Yes that is true time moves on , the help and advice I have received on here is priceless I will always be in their debt.Yeah so am I Sharon I am thinking of deleting him for being boring and needy :-D :-D :-D :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 23 Sep 2018 03:27

I've been a member since April 2004, but I didn't spend much time on General Chat in the early days. I posted only on Genealogy Chat and Finding Ancestors.

The reason was as follows ......

..... in my first venture on this Board, I was accused of being a reincarnation of someone called Sylvia, who was "nasty" .......... hence why I added "in Canada" to my name.

...... on my next visit a few days later, I got involved in some sort of discussion on Canada along with Janey C ................ and got accused of being her posting under another name! That was merely because we were arguing on the same side.

I didn't like the nastiness that I got, so I didn't even look on GC until many years later.

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 23 Sep 2018 08:14

Aww Madge, thank you <3

*Blushes* :-D

David

David Report 23 Sep 2018 08:31

It's like a substitute for "pen pals" only much faster :-D

It's my wife's birthday today <3

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 23 Sep 2018 09:09

I miss BC too Madge. I also had visions of her, before I met her, what a lovely sassy lady she was. <3

I also miss the Auntie Motie thread. Sadly she went out one day to do her Good Works, and never came back. ;-) ;-)

Madge

Madge Report 23 Sep 2018 10:31

A bit like when BC and Mau used to find their way to the Green door of the seaman's mission :-)

I first joined GR in March 2006 I only used to read the tips board and then found the courage to post. I then began to read general and there was always an air of they knew something you didn't. One set of people arguing with another set I logged in one day and WW3 was in full swing the insults flying back and forth left me sat at my PC opened mouthed. My first post was on the lines of would anyone else like to share my popcorn? As I did not have a board name I post in my own full real name, unknown to me at the time one of Waring fractions was called Hayley and I began to get PM's asking if I was her. Luckily my lack of grammar and ability to spell actually stood in my favor.

Happy birthday to Mrs David <3

Barbra

Barbra Report 23 Sep 2018 11:53

Happy Birthday David.s good lady have a lovely day xx I joined in 2009 & was introduced to OZ thread by Allan so many people have gone off since those days I know folks are on FB but never ventured on there .sometimes it does get boring same post but suppose people up & down the country & abroad its a way of staying in touch I have had help with family history & found a cousin hadn't spoke to for years ,so its a good site in some ways Remembering the lovely friends passed now quite a few since I joined Barbara <3

Sharron

Sharron Report 23 Sep 2018 11:55

I have just had to look at my picture to see when I joined. It was January 2004 but I didn't post for a long time but when I did I seem to remember somebody called 'Grampa Jim', who lived in Gosport, didn't like me much.

It was during the time I was Fred's carer that I really made the most use of this site, the late Wend, kept me cheerful through a few leaking catheters and , for reasons I have never understood, you were all SO kind to me when and after he died. I am still thanking you for that.

I took Wend to the Isle of Wight when Uzzi was clearing out her mother's bungalow and, believe me, Wend needed chaperoning!

Now I am looking forward to meeting up with the lovely Gwynne in Kent again and also Florence in October.

As for Eldrick, well, our hopes are that we will eventually both be in Namibia at the same time.