General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Flu Jab

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Barbra

Barbra Report 29 Sep 2018 16:08

Who will be having their Flu Jab again, soon comes to that time of year .Our GP starts mid October .I myself have one every year touch wood no problems Barbara

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 29 Sep 2018 16:46

Will be having usual flu jab but, this year only,
one for shingles and one for pneumococcal.

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 29 Sep 2018 17:59

We get ours at the chemist
They seam to get it in earlier than our GPs

Tawny

Tawny Report 29 Sep 2018 18:11

My work pay for it so why not. I get it every other year.

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 29 Sep 2018 19:13

Had mine done at the chemists as they offered to do it it straight away when I picked up my prescriptions yesterday.

I had booked in with the GP, but they didn't have a free appt till 9th Oct. I've now cancelled that one.

Annx

Annx Report 29 Sep 2018 20:16

We had ours done at the GP a week last Thursday.

Kense

Kense Report 29 Sep 2018 21:16

Our GP surgery did over 75's on Sep 8th.

I had a raised temperature the next day but no one else seemed to suffer any ill-effects.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 30 Sep 2018 01:15

I haven't been notified yet but usually have the flu jab. In May I was offered a shingles jab but didn't take it up as about to go on holiday. I forgot about it till I just saw it mentioned. I will ask my doctor when I next see him.

Lizx

Iris

Iris Report 30 Sep 2018 15:00

we are both booked in for the last Saturday in October ,a bit later than normal.. :-)

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 30 Sep 2018 16:25

I always have the flu jab and until now our surgery had a great way of doing it, they hired the community centre and sent out letter saying which surname initial was due at which time but you could go any time if that was not convenient. I have just spotted on the surgery website (we have a new surgery which they moved into earlier this year) that we have to boof appointments with reception, as it is almost impossible to get through on the phone this means we have to drive down to the surgery to make appointments. Wonder why they changed something that worked well? I bet cost comes into it somewhere. Appointments available October/November. Oh, and there are 3 different types. One for under 18s, one for under 65s and one for over 65s. I don't know the difference it didn't say.

Linda

Linda Report 30 Sep 2018 19:39

Had mine on the 22nd Sep Doctor standing on the door with a smile asking what room we had to go to (text telling us date time and what room) nurse grab me form another room and it was all over in a second hardly had time to take my jacket off. Came down and took Mum for mums yesterday

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 30 Sep 2018 22:15

Ann, could the under 18s need a smaller dose? Those of working age would probably be either carers or those with a condition where it’s recommended. Playing devils advocate, they might have to allow slightly more time for each of many of those aged over 65.

It does sound daft to have drop the community centre idea, but could they have had problems storing or transporting the vaccine?

I’ll probably have mine done at the local chemist. The pharmacist laughed last season when I’d said X at the surgery had grabbed me the one before. “She’s like that!” :-D

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 1 Oct 2018 22:53

Did anyone have the shingles jab? I don't know whether to go for it or not!

Lizx

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 2 Oct 2018 03:41

Had my shingles jab a couple of years ago.you only need it if you had chickenpox when you were little.
As you can get shingles as the pox stays in your body

Barbra

Barbra Report 2 Oct 2018 12:44

Hello our surgery is having a Saturday Morning opening to have flu jab end of October between 10-1 just wondered about the shingles have you to reach a certain age before you can have that, no offence I am over 70 x I did have pneumococcal 3years ago Thank you for joining in Barbara :-)

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 2 Oct 2018 13:11

We are having our flu one on Saturday, our GP
states ages for shingles and pneumococcal ones.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 2 Oct 2018 16:33

Just booked ours (both over 65 Det and only 5 minutes between appointments). I think the reason they are segregated is that a0 the clinic for under 65s in on a Saturday so assuming many of those are still working and b) there are three different vaccines this year, yes under a certain age I think I read have a nasal vaccine (??) but I don't know the difference between over and under 65s. Regarding having it done at the chemist

The surgery website information also includes the following. "Although patients can attend a chemist for vaccination, the new vaccine arrangements make it even more important to attend the surgery for this important immunisation"

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 2 Oct 2018 23:10

2 mins between appointments at my surgery!

Mum, dad and I booked in for Saturday...They are both 87 and I am a carer for them and my son so no problem getting the flu jabs. No other jabs were offered.

Our surgery now only offers Flu jabs to certain categories of risk....The rest are advised to see a pharmacist to purchase it.

Chris

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 3 Oct 2018 09:19

I can’t imagine the inlaws being able to get in & out within 2 minutes. Heave them out of the waiting room chair, point them in the right direction, hobble along to the room, roll up sleeves & out again. Knowing them, they’d have kept their coats on!

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 3 Oct 2018 09:43

I am sceptical about the flu industry which on its own admission is somewhat hit and miss, heavily reliant on guesswork. I have never had the 'flu and have never had a 'flu jab. I do keep very fit.

Typical English cooking such as fried breakfasts and the tea n biscuits addiction is both fattening and cancerous (WHO). Those with weaker immune systems, typically the unfit, are far more likely to contract flu.

Vaccine Effectiveness - How Well Does the Flu Vaccine Work? - CDC
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/vaccineeffect.htm