General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Rejected!

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Allan

Allan Report 11 Oct 2018 22:46

Following the death of my PC a couple of weeks ago, my laptop decided to almost follow it.

Fortunately a technician was able to give it the electronic version of CPR and revive it although it requires a new battery. He also suggested that he installs a solid state hard drive at the same time.

As we are off on our travels shortly those decisions can wait until our return.

However, in doing whatever technicians do he cleared the cache of all cookies etc which meant that I have had to log back into those sites that I usually stay logged into.

No problems, all done...…..except for Facebook!

Tried logging in, no success, just flicked me back to the log-in page. :-(

Tried changing my password, received notification that that was successful, went to log on, just flicked me back to the log-in again :-|

Although a member of some good groups on FB I have decided that it is not worth the hassle :-P

Whether this has anything to do with the recent hacking or not I neither know nor care but after that event when asked to log back in there were no problems :-S

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 11 Oct 2018 22:55

Bl**dy technology! :-|
Went for a drink in Salisbury on Sunday (yes, aren't we brave :-D)
The till was down - so, in consequence, someone would have to do a 'manual' stock take.
I've also had those things that 'read' bus passes and weekly tickets not working.
I keep the receipt for my weekly ticket for just such incidents.

Allan

Allan Report 11 Oct 2018 23:03

It's been one of those weeks, Maggie.

We went to Fremantle on the weekend for a quick break

Arrived at the Hotel and showed them my Loyalty card

'oh, we don't accept those any more. Didn't you receive the email advising you to download the app onto your smartphone?'

Me 'Yes but as I don't have a smartphone I couldn't'

Stunned silence!

Not to worry, I just miss out on all the discounts on food and beverages BUT my loyalty number is still on the computer so I will receive notifications about discount offers on rooms :-|

Yeh..well porcine rectums to that! :-P

Caroline

Caroline Report 12 Oct 2018 00:28

Oh dear think the Universe is out to get you Allan :-)

Allan

Allan Report 12 Oct 2018 00:50

Caroline, the way my luck is going we'll board the ship at Fremantle to sail to Sydney and hit an Iceberg just after leaving the docks! :-| :-D :-D

Caroline

Caroline Report 12 Oct 2018 13:58

Don't tempt fate....stay away from the pointy bit at the front in fact nothing connected to the movie.....!!

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 12 Oct 2018 14:06

Every day
My friends say
I'm in the worst kind of trouble
But they talk in vain
I ain't listening
I listed too often

Where they get their wisdom
I shall never know
And I can't believe my ears
There's fifty people
Telling me to
Give it up
But I don't want to hear

Fortune tellers
Seeing omens
And writings on walls
I think they falsify
They mean to see me cry
They offer less than my hopes

Where they get their magic
I shall never know
And I can't believe my eyes
They push the rainbows out
And give you
Stormy skies
But I don't want to know

I'm living in a fool's paradise
I'm living on false hope and lies
I'm gonna be rejected
Let down
Expect it
I'm living in a fool's paradise

J.A.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 12 Oct 2018 15:20

Talking of facebook (as you were Allan). I put an item for sale on there today, priced at £40. Yes, it is a good price. Checked it all after I put it on (I am wary like that). Had an offer, went back to check it out and the price had randomly changed to £9. I thought she was eagar. Needless to say she didn't want it for the proper price. How can facebook do that??

Sharron

Sharron Report 12 Oct 2018 15:25

I am only half in the world these days because I have no need for a smartphone.

OH still uses a Filofax, the battery never goes flat on him and he knows where everything is..

David

David Report 12 Oct 2018 16:50

I've an old Vodaphone I seldom use and my PC is second hand, but works.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 13 Oct 2018 00:11

I was upset when my (non-smart) pay as you go Nokia finally 'gave up the ghost' after 25 years :-(
However, my new 'Pay as you go' non-smart phone was cheaper :-D

Why are 'smart phones' called 'smart phones'?
Does this mean non-smart phones are 'thick' phones, or perhaps 'unstylish'?
What antonym would you use for a 'smart' phone?
One that described it as possessing intelligence and a quickness of mind. or one that described it as the opposite of fashionable or stylish, or, the opposite of bitingly or humorously intelligent in nature, perhaps the opposite for quick or brisk, or even having no refined knowledge of the world?

I wonder what the statistics are on 'smart phone' users being knocked over, compared to non-smart phone users?

Allan

Allan Report 13 Oct 2018 00:19

:-D :-D :-D

If the phones were that smart they would have an 'app' to give advance warning of the proximity of cars/trains/people/lampposts/etc.

With some of the Electrical retailers now advertising goods which can be accessed/activated from a smart phone or even, in the case of a fridge, actually print out a shopping list for you all these appliances are going to realise one day that they don't need humans :-0

If your smart phone goes missing check that the fridge or microwave hasn't hijacked it.....but do unplug the appliance first, just in case. ;-) :-D :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 13 Oct 2018 00:56

So true about the 'app', Allan :-D
If they were really smart, they'd have an app in town to warn of an advancing old bag who isn't going to move onto the road for them, because they're so self obsessed, they have to stare at a screen, in case anyone is complimenting them, and s*d anyone else on the pavement!

Walking to work last week, I saw a buzzard land on a fence across the road.
I stopped to watch it - I mean, this is a fairly urban area, though not in town!
Six people passed me (all of student age) - not one looked in the same direction as me, or notice the bird - all were intent on 'fixing' their music or looking at their phones.
They didn't even acknowledge that an elderly lady was stopped for some unknown reason.
Next time, I'll try lying down, and see if they notice! :-D

Allan

Allan Report 13 Oct 2018 01:00

I wouldn't, Maggie, they'd probably trip over you and then abuse you for breaking their concentration :-D

David

David Report 13 Oct 2018 08:19

If someone goes AWOL, missing, is it true that the Police can locate them through the signal from their mobile phone ?

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 13 Oct 2018 09:33

All mobile phones, smart or not, have an IMEI code which is unique and wired into the phone. ISPs record this number as the phone moves from cell to cell. The police have access to the logs and can track the phone both history and in real time. There are other methods for switched off phones so long as the battery is not removed.

These methods are frequently used to locate missing people and for evidence.

Criminals often have disposable "burner" phones not registered.

Sharron

Sharron Report 13 Oct 2018 14:53

I bought Fred a Teddyphone.

It is designed for children, has no screen and no SIM, you must supply your own and you can only programme in four numbers which are activated by buttons on it's paws.

I think it was possible to listen to them without the knowing as well and that you could track them with it.

Also, being in the shape of a teddy, it was so un-cool that there was little fear of it ever being stolen.
Of course, it was far too uncool for that old sod to carry with him!

David

David Report 13 Oct 2018 19:08

Thank you Rollo, I didn't know that. I used to think a mobile could be located by satellites that the networks use, but it's more likely to be pylons.

BrianW

BrianW Report 15 Oct 2018 07:19

It seems to be assumed nowdays that everyone has a smartphone and is on Facebook.

But my phone is just a phone and I'm not on Facebook.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 15 Oct 2018 08:55

BT plan to switch off the PSTN by 2025 rendering the trad phone socket silent. There will be a basic ip phone service for those that want it. Oz has already made the change.