General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

If you could turn back time

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 25 Oct 2018 10:35

If you could go back in time for 24 hours

Where would you go and what would you do!! :-D :-D

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 25 Oct 2018 10:39

Should have arranged to visit a neighbour in hospital.
Could have made an Apple Crumble for the evening meal and started on the ironing pile (shudder)

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 25 Oct 2018 10:43

Detective ironing is never on my agenda I can tell you
I would go back to when My Nana was young 1920s
and find out al her secrets

Or go back to Tamar Potters 1717
And attend her Wedding in York minster :-D

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 25 Oct 2018 10:50

Wish I could go back to when I was 9, my grandma won a substantial amount of money and beg her to sort out where to put it with my dad.

Can't say more as there are innocent parties who don't know what their parent did.

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 25 Oct 2018 11:05

When I was 15 I worked in a big supermarket for 6 weeks
The trainee under manger sexually harassed me to go out with him
Even locked me in a Chicken freezer the longest 20 mins of my live
I was young and naïve and afraid of him
I always refused his advances and left as soon as I could
Maybe I should go back to then 1970s

And nut the low life scumbag :-( :-(

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 25 Oct 2018 11:05

Ah! I'd read it as go back 24 hours ie yesterday, not spend 24 hours in any other era :-0

I'd go back to the wedding of my Gr grt grandfather & ask him where exactly he was born in 'Germany'. Although I know his father's name from his MC, I've no idea who his mother was.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 25 Oct 2018 11:38

I'd like to go back and ask my great grandma who my grandma's father was (she was illegitimate) so that I had another line to research.

I'd also like to ask my great grandparents (another line) why they baptised my grandfather with a different surname to the family name he grew up with (we have the original certificates so know we have the right ones) but it's always been a family mystery as to why the change of name was only on the baptism certificate and why his mother's name is different on the birth and baptism certificates.

Kath. x

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 25 Oct 2018 15:04

Think of how much wiser we could be
And the help it would be doing our trees

Bunnyboo

Bunnyboo Report 25 Oct 2018 18:11

When my children were little and my parents were alive, young and well,. When my uncle's were alive and my three cousin's lived in England, and that my much loved fourth cousin hadn't died of cancer.

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 25 Oct 2018 19:20

I wish we could send you back
to those days when you where happy Magpie xx <3

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 25 Oct 2018 19:22

I'd go back to the 1950s when my mother's parents were still alive, and ask them and my parents lots and lots of questions that are unanswered 'cos I didn't ask back then!

The replies would answer a lot of queries ...... that's if they told the truth, which might be doubtful!

For one thing, I'd love to know why my grandparents never talked about any other members of their families, and why we never had contact with them

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 25 Oct 2018 19:33

I would go back to meet my great grandfather as he is my brick wall
and have searched for decades to find out who his parents were
and where he was born.

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 25 Oct 2018 19:53

Too many times I would like to go back to but if I had to pick just one.........I’d like to go back to the 1830s/40s and see my great x 3 grandfather on the stage. He was a performer and seems to have had good reviews so I’d like to have seen him.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 25 Oct 2018 20:29

I would like to go back to 1877 and ask Gr grandma who exactly did she have a "fling "with and what was his name so I can complete the missing link on one side of the family tree.

Florence in the hebrides :-)

Bunnyboo

Bunnyboo Report 25 Oct 2018 20:54

Thank you JoyBA. I do miss them even after all these years!

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 25 Oct 2018 20:59

Magpie anybody that didn't understand that
Have never lost a piece of their hearts hun XX <3

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 25 Oct 2018 21:01

Florence61
I have one of those too

I think my Nana was a floozie in her time

Dame*Shelly*(

Dame*Shelly*("\(*o*)/") Report 25 Oct 2018 21:14

i would like to go back and ask my great granmother why has my grandmother not got a birth cert

David

David Report 25 Oct 2018 22:53

On the morning of 30/1/1994 at about 6.30 am I cycled past my Mother's house on the way home at the end of a night shift.
Mother had been ill, unusual for her. I had a key to her house. I "could" have let my self in to make a cuppa, I didn't. Who calls on someone at 6.30 am ?

I wish I had. Someone, a neighbour, broke into her house mid morning.She was found lying behind the door at the foot of the stairs. She died later that morning in the ICU.
I "might" possibly have saved her life

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 26 Oct 2018 23:57

That must have been hard to live with, David.

I do think fate has things worked out for us though. I often think of things I would change but then realise how those changes would have maybe impacted my life in a more negative way.

Que sara, sara

Lizx