General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

November 11th

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Caroline

Caroline Report 25 Oct 2018 13:33

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6314129/We-shall-knit-forget-Display-15-000-crocheted-poppies-placed-towns-war-memorial.html

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 25 Oct 2018 14:33

The link wouldn’t work for me but we have a similar thing in our town, hung from the tower of a large church in the centre of town and draped down to the ground. It also contains a few purple poppies for the animals who died. It looks very impressive and moving.

EDIT. Just found the article by googling. They also look pretty impressive.

Caroline

Caroline Report 25 Oct 2018 14:52

sorry my links don't always work!!

I think the idea is catching on all around the country.

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 25 Oct 2018 21:03

I love the Crocheted poppies :-D

Dame*Shelly*(

Dame*Shelly*("\(*o*)/") Report 25 Oct 2018 21:10

the link works for me

so nice to see there lovley <3 <3

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 25 Oct 2018 23:19

We have them in Norwich, I hope to go to see them. A lovely idea!

Lizx

Caroline

Caroline Report 26 Oct 2018 01:26

Near my Mum they do the same knitting/ crocheting and display them near the seafront.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 26 Oct 2018 07:30

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6314129/We-shall-knit-forget-Display-15-000-crocheted-poppies-placed-towns-war-memorial.html

Wow!

Around Hythe (Hampshire) there have ceramic poppies on roundabouts. for the past month or so.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 26 Oct 2018 11:34

What a striking display.!

Folkestone was the setting off port for so many men in the First World War.
The steep road which they trod down to the harbour was later renamed Road of Remembrance and thousands of poppies are fixed to the railings there.
The opposite side of the road has been planted with rosemary, to continue the theme of remembrance. The town war memorial and more recent Memorial Arch are at the top of this road.

Caroline

Caroline Report 26 Oct 2018 12:26

Here in Canada we have the Highway of Heroes, when all returning fallen soldiers return they travel along that route to Toronto. Every journey people line the bridges etc to "welcome them home".

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 26 Oct 2018 13:15

Wow! I got a lump in my throat just looking at the pictures online.

Annx

Annx Report 27 Oct 2018 01:17

We have wrought iron gates covered in knitted and crocheted poppies in the town and since last year the local villages have had large poppies fixed high up on the lamp posts. <3 <3

Caroline

Caroline Report 29 Oct 2018 10:10

Good to see many towns and villages across the UK are making very impressive displays.

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 29 Oct 2018 10:53

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/education/southampton-university-student-president-vows-to-take-down-white-men-mural-honouring-ww1-soldiers-1-8682343

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 29 Oct 2018 10:59

and this one

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6259837/Cambridge-University-Students-Union-row-Remembrance-Day-motion.html

What is doing on with these young women-power and equality gone t their heads? :-(

Caroline

Caroline Report 29 Oct 2018 11:24

The Southampton Uni girl has taken a leave of absence and it seems no one at the Uni is backing her up; The Cambridge one is new to me. Surely these examples show exactly why it's so important for us not to forget? Yes, many people around the World have and will die in various conflicts, but this was different and shouldn't be forgotten.

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 29 Oct 2018 11:40

I know Uni is meant to help broaden their minds and question things but I suppose that the more time elapses the context we and the later generations see that War in is going to be lost.

They seem to not understand the extent to which that war was instrumental in the freedoms ,they, as women now enjoy.

Caroline

Caroline Report 29 Oct 2018 13:42

Exactly Elizabeth but also when you question things they often seem to think that means you just put forward a new view, a more modern view...like this young lady she wanted other ethnic groups reflected in a picture...well at that moment in time there wouldn't have been any other ethnic group or many if any ladies at the Uni. But ladies did help out so much both at home and as nurses near the front, and as you say it helped towards woman getting the vote etc.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 30 Oct 2018 00:01

Quite frankly, she's a shame to education.
Why didn't she just look the mural up on the internet or, failing that, didn't she think to ask why the mural was there?
To just go in feet first with 'I've got an opinion, and everyone will know about it and act on it, because I am who I am' (and paid £20,000 a year to be in that position) shows crass ineptitude.

...and this is University material. University - where education through research is the whole reason you are there..... :-\

Caroline

Caroline Report 30 Oct 2018 10:23

Basically, she's won though, I believe the painting is now locked up for its own safety...so she got part of what she wanted no longer on view.