General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

DNA TEST

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gillian

Gillian Report 16 Nov 2022 13:38

hii just had my dna test returned and it was surprised to find out it said scandanvian/greece/italian/irish scottish welsh and 0.8 English i thought i was british through and through how accurate are these DNA tests???? thanks Gill

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 16 Nov 2022 13:51

LOL so did i....except for .08% nigerian..

I knew...
My great grandad was belgian(allegedly) my other g/grandad was of welsh,.

Gillian

Gillian Report 16 Nov 2022 14:12

thanks for reply bobtanian i suppose you do not know if i can find out if the DNA info for family tree Gill

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 16 Nov 2022 14:35

Your dna ethnicity results depends on the data the company has. So which one have you done yours with?. Different companies can give you different ethnicity results.

Don’t forget that Wales and Scotland are also part of Britain so I presume you meant English through and through.

Some low results may mean there are ancient traces. If your Scandinavian results are low this could be Viking.

I’m not sure what you mean by dna info for family tree. You probably need to look at the trees belonging to matches to see if you can fit them into your own tree.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 16 Nov 2022 14:54

Mine did show my German roots as my dads father was German and I was yes that’s accurate

But subsequent updates have downplayed my German roots which I find odd

Yes I know 75% of my line will be uk but surely a paternal line would be dominant too

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 16 Nov 2022 15:00

Shirley - As you don't get an exact amount of dna from a parent it is quite possible that your German dna could be low. It may be that your grandfather had quite a bit of another ethnicity.

I compared the amount of cms my brother and I each had against some cousins - some of the differences were quite large.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 16 Nov 2022 15:29

Namelessone

I have researched back and grandads parents are German and born early 1800,s which was why I was ? As a quarter of my ancestry is German

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 16 Nov 2022 15:51

Your ethnicity results go much further back than 1800.

On paper you are a quarter German but your dna is not necessarily 25%. It could be a lot less and , of course, it could have been much more.

Added: I am very lucky as several 2nd cousins took an ancestry test. We each had
a sibling grandparent.
Cousin 1. match 221cms/3% over 10 segments
Cousin 2. match 188cms/3% over 12 segments
Cousin 3. match 109cms/2% over 7 segments.

So, on paper we are all second cousins but our dna doesn't tell us the same.

Gillian

Gillian Report 16 Nov 2022 17:48

hi thanks for all replies my says 59% Scandinavian

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 16 Nov 2022 17:59

That is pretty high. If you have done your tree back a few generations you should be able to see where that comes in. If not then things may baa bit awkward.

Lost Cousins have a very good dna masterclass. I’m sure it has been updated this year - try Googling for it.

Added: Ancestry are now sorting your ethnicity to one parent or the other, I think My Heritage may be doing something similar. This could help you work out where the Scandi but comes from.

Gillian

Gillian Report 16 Nov 2022 18:18

gone back on my line for both parents but cannot find anything in scandanvian will have to check my tree to co nfirm this seems mostly London?

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 16 Nov 2022 18:48

According to Ancestry I am 52% England and northwest Europe. That is made up of 32% from one parent and 20% from the other.

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 16 Nov 2022 19:33

If you find you don't understand certain parts of your DNA results, you need to remember that there can always be doubts about the father of a child. And no, I don't understand my results either, as I have 1.1% Nigerian, but none apparent in my tree going back 4 generations. I also have no English DNA, despite a huge ancestry in the south Lake District, so don't know where they came from.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 16 Nov 2022 19:52

I had mine done years ago by 'My Heritage', as did my sister.
Mine was:
47.1% Northern and Western European
43.4% Irish, Scottish, Welsh
9.5% Iberian

My sister is similar, but with more Northern and Western European, and only 3%Iberian.

I have found no 'Northern Europeans' or Irish Scottish or Welsh in my family genealogy.

So apparently no actual 'English' - but I have traced my dad's mum's side back to 12th Century, which was when the 100% Cornish split into a bit of Breton.
So, that to me is the Irish, Scottish, Welsh - also known as Celtic, and Western European.

My mum's mum's side were mainly from Suffolk. for generations - there's a lot of Viking DNA in Suffolk- that would explain the Northern European.
Mum's dad's side - well there's a 'Doutch' there - Western European.

As for the Iberian, one of my great grans was from an old New Forest traveller family.

My nephew had his DNA done at the same time. His dad was Irish.
He has similar DNA to his mother and I, but smaller percentages, and no Iberian.
The main DNA from his Irish dad - an actual Murphy? ROMAN :-D :-D :-D

However, 'My Heritage' managed to link us together as sister, nephew etc properly.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 16 Nov 2022 20:27

Grannyfanny. The 1.1% Nigerian will be regarded as a distant trace - you would not find it in 4 generations a will probably never find it.

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 16 Nov 2022 21:24

Yes, I understand that. However I don't understand why I don't have at least a trace of
English DNA as well.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 16 Nov 2022 21:38

GrannyFanny, what are your DNA results?
There's a LOT of Norwegian Viking DNA in Cumbria :-)

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 16 Nov 2022 22:00

I'm 98.9% northern/western european, which includes 14.8% Scottish/Irish/Welsh. Plus the 1.1% Nigerian.

As I have a paternal Scottish family line, that is not surprising. And I have a line apparently connecting back to Norman knights which comes through both of my (related) parents through my ggrandfather. He married into all these folk from the south Lakes. The forth grandparent line is also from that area.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 16 Nov 2022 22:40

Well that explains your Northern/Western European - it's the Vikings invading Cumbria, and the Normans - who were from Denmark, Norway and Iceland:-D

Don't forget - England is in Western Europe.

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 16 Nov 2022 22:58

Yes, I understand that too, though the Vikings must have taken over pretty well. But OH's results give him almost all English, his father is from Shropshire/Staffordshire and his mother is from Yorkshire families who originally came from Scotland. He has zero Scottish. The lines must be drawn very firmly, no grey areas.....