General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I went to town on Friday

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 23 Jan 2023 16:01

I sat down near the back.
About 2 stops on from mine, a teenager got on, and sat in front of me.
Nothing wrong with that - but she had a fizzy drink with her, and it smelt of Haribo sweets :-S
I spent the next 20 minutes trying not to gag loudly.

There are 2 smells that are guaranteed to make me gag - the smell of 'Haribo' sweets,
and 'Brut' .
When my children were young, they weren't denied 'Haribo' sweets - but they had to open the packet, and eat them outside, and clean their teeth afterwards!

Are there any smells (apart from the obvious) that you can't stand?

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 23 Jan 2023 16:13

I really dislike commercial popcorn as sold in cinemas.
If it's plain, that's not too bad, but whatever they add to make it more saleable is the substance which makes me want to move seats.

I seldom visit a cinema, so it's not much of a problem to me.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 23 Jan 2023 16:33

Dettol Original Antibacterial bar soap!

Supposed to smell of lemon, and it does for the first few minutes. After that it smells of strong industrial toilet cleaner.

I bought some in the early days of the pandemic, but quickly found I had to keep it in the shed, as the horrible smell permeated the whole house, and eventually I donated it to a foodbank (Sorry about that!)

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 23 Jan 2023 16:44

Meat roasting...

and the very thought of crispy skin or fat on it, :-|

Even hearing TV chefs talking about crisping the skin on chicken or fish makes me want to leave the room.
Add crispy bacon to the list too.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 23 Jan 2023 17:04

Gwyn, that's an awful smell dislike to have!
Could be embarrassing at times - visiting people etc

At least my dislike of 'Brut' just meant I rarely went to discos in my teens, and very few wear it now.

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 23 Jan 2023 17:56

Ditto the popcorn - yuk, so artificial and sickly, I rarely visit the cinema and then only for something a bit 'off the wall' so there aren't usually many people there.

Any of those 'plug-in' air things, they really seem to get under my nose, when I had Covid I seemed to be able to smell them all the time.

Worst for me is fabric conditioner, it can make my eyes stream and throat sore if it's one of those really smelly ones that's been overdone.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 23 Jan 2023 17:59

The smell of Subway shops yuk :-P

Island

Island Report 23 Jan 2023 18:26

Those lilies which are popular with florists give me headache.

Other peoples perfume – especially in confined spaces eg lifts, buses. What’s the point of it? They can’t smell it after a few minutes so why inflict it on others who can smell it for way too long

Carpet puff.

Artificial ‘fresh air’ in the home.

Aloe vera tissues – bought them once, never again

Meat cooking and wet fish

I love the smell of lime pickle though :-D

Island

Island Report 23 Jan 2023 18:33

Maggie, for a moment I thought you had posted 'I went to the pictures next Friday, I took a front seat at the back... :-S :-D

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 23 Jan 2023 18:54

I fell from the Pit, to the Gallery, and broke every bone in my back. :-S :-D

Bleach, I cannot bear the smell of it.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 23 Jan 2023 19:15

Another smell that makes me gag is Red Bull

Island

Island Report 23 Jan 2023 19:26

LG, is that the stuff that smells of muck spreading? :-0

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 23 Jan 2023 21:22

MG mentioned bleach.

Yes - and TCP.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 23 Jan 2023 21:41

:-D :-D :-D :-D Island it does smell like s*** and tastes like it too

Island

Island Report 23 Jan 2023 22:07

LG, I've never tasted it but remember being at a party and thinking eeww... what's that smell? I don't know how anyone can put their nose so close to it - and I live in the land of muck spreading :-0 :-D

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 23 Jan 2023 22:15

I tried one very very small sip and vowed never again.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 23 Jan 2023 22:33

Well for me its Parmesan cheese...yeeeeuk just smells of sick and turns my stomach :-P :-P :-P

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 23 Jan 2023 23:50

Peanut butter ..........

Daughter had to learn to make her own peanut butter sandwiches when she was 5 years old because I hated the smell so much. I made her sandwiches before that with my head turned well away from it.

The Dior perfume Poison smells like the stuff put down to kill cockroaches

OH used to think the perfume Blue Grass (one of my favourites when we first married) smelled like DDT, that horrible insecticide. He never told me to stop wearing it, but commented every time!

Island ....... we now don't often smell perfumes here because it is banned in so many places. But I have noticed that the scent/smell seems much stronger than it used when someone does wear it.

I have a drawerful of what used to be my 3 favourite perfumes (Blue Grass not among them), I haven't worn them in years.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 24 Jan 2023 08:12

Sylvia, just noticed what you said about perfume being banned? I didn't know that where is it banned.

I love some perfumes but do hate 'poison'. Other than that can live with most smells.

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 24 Jan 2023 08:39

I know what you mean about perfume. A gentle waft as you pass by can be quite pleasant but some people seem to bath in it!

My pet hate is honey. The smell makes me feel really nauseous. OH likes an occasional slice of bread and honey so I have a jar in the cupboard but he has to get it while I’m out of the room.