General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

HELP AND ADVICE PLEASE

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Maddie

Maddie Report 12 Feb 2023 14:14

had a letter from a company called VERY asking me to call about some info on my account. The letter quoted an account number.
I do not have an account with them
Telephoned them stating that i did not have an account, i was informed that 2 parcels had been delivered to my address in dec and jan but would not tell me what they are.She suggested i ask my son who lives with me but he has no knowledge of these parcels. She informed me she had evidence of me receiving a parcel via my window, my normal method as i can't reach the front door.
She was very unhelpful saying i was responsible and the police could be involved and terminated the phone call

Having now calmed down i remember a pair of slippers being delivered but not the name of the company. I received a phone call saying the parcel had been incorrectly addressed and could they collect. They were and i thought nothing more of it

I tried to access the very account number on line but it came back saying there is no account for details i supplied

I do not know anything about a second parcel and she would not give me any details

I did not open an account with them, i don't buy anything that way

Any ideas where to go next please

Island

Island Report 12 Feb 2023 14:21

Sounds like a scam.
If they were bona fide they would give you details and email the supposed 'evidence' I'm sure.
How did she know you had a son???

I wouldn't mind betting you won't hear from her again. As for 'police' being informed, I highly doubt it.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 12 Feb 2023 14:22

I wonder if it is a scam, I would not have phoned them if I didn't have an account but kept the letter. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Maddie

Maddie Report 12 Feb 2023 14:26

She asked me if anyone else was living here
The phone number on the letter is correct for the company

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 12 Feb 2023 14:40

Did you ring the number on the letter or did you look it up first?

Are they asking you to pay for them?

Delivering something and then ringing you to say it was delivered to the wrong house is often a scam.

Maddie

Maddie Report 12 Feb 2023 14:42

i checked the number first and they want me to pay no idea how much

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 12 Feb 2023 14:52

They want you to pay but don’t tell you how much :-S :-S

So you can tell them that if they were slippers you had the call and they were collected. Without knowing what the other parcel was you shouldn’t be paying unless you or your son remember ordering.

Odd that they rang rather than send a reminder invoice.

Proof of delivery through the window must be a photo. Do your delivery men usually take a picture of you in the window? If they get back to you you can ask for dated/ timed copies of the photos.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 12 Feb 2023 14:56

I think the scam would be the parcel that was delivered then 'collected' as it was to the wrong address and possibly you are now on very's books as having received the slippers so are liable to pay for them.Could the other parcels Very are talking about have been left outside and taken before you saw them?

This is the correct phone number for Very 0871 472 1697. Calls Cost 13p per minute

Maddie

Maddie Report 12 Feb 2023 15:06

thank you for the number i have 0344 822 4650
parcels are left on the doorstep if i cant get to the window in time
i have never ordered from very and certainly never opened an account

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 12 Feb 2023 15:23

You could also try 0151 432 1000 which will only cost you your normal charge rather than 13p a minute which can get expensive if they keep you hanging on. Good luck.

Maddie

Maddie Report 12 Feb 2023 15:40

thank you

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 12 Feb 2023 15:47

Have a read through these Maddie.
https://who-called.co.uk/Number/03448224650

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 12 Feb 2023 16:14

Yes I was going to suggest that names, I too have just read it and there is a lot of controversy over that 0344 number. i.e. is it their security number? If so why are there so many queries regarding the number. I would use the one Vera has given you.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 12 Feb 2023 16:30

Maddie, the police only get involved if you have committed a criminal offence.
Even if you had say a catalogue account and didn't pay, they would send several statements and reminders before transferring the debt to a collections company so in all, i wouldn't worry about it.

If you have never had a Very account, then whatever they say, it doesn't matter.
I would ignore any more phone calls or letters as its a scam to get you to part with money and also give them your details I guess.

You could try and contact their complaints dept for peace of mind and see what they say.

Florence in the hebrides

Florence61

Florence61 Report 12 Feb 2023 16:36

Just found this complaints no: 0800110000 and another 08000923355( 7p per min)
or you could email
[email protected]

Maddie

Maddie Report 12 Feb 2023 16:57

thank you i will try the complaints, the more i think about the more bizarre it seems, like what were the items how much they cost why no invoice and if it was my acc why can;t i access it on line

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 12 Feb 2023 17:09

If they won't/can't give you the details of what was ordered, or how much you supposedly owe them, then it definitely sounds like a scam, and I agree with everyone who has said to ignore the letter and phone conversation.

As well as the number Vera gave, try this free number:

Customer Care Team, Complaints & Automated Payment Service
Freephone
0800 11 00 00
available Monday to Friday 8am - 6pm, Saturday 9am - 4pm

https://www.very.co.uk/customer-care-contact-numbers.page

EDIT:
Oops! already posted!

Maddie

Maddie Report 12 Feb 2023 18:01

:-)

Caroline

Caroline Report 12 Feb 2023 18:16

I'm not sure if it still stands but there used to be a law in the UK that if unsolicited goods are sent to your house they can't demand payment. You obviously have to allow them to have the goods back etc etc.
In this case you obviously haven't asked for the goods, they can't prove without doubt you've had the goods.
It's a scam I'd bet money on it, but just tell them they're welcome to come and collect the goods they say they've sent you but they have to arrange a time and your Son who happens to be a policeman wants to be there with you when they call...... :-)

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 12 Feb 2023 22:02

EVRI used to be Hermes....not some one trying it on maybe?