General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Oh - goodness me

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 16 Feb 2023 22:12

Sam Smith 'corrects' Alex Jones - he doesn't want be a fisherman, he wants to become a fisherthem!
So, in a phone call to my sister, we 'boomers' tried to make life easier for poor Sam.
We realised 'manhole covers' should now be referred to as 'themhole covers', we could 'themage'our finances, as long as 'themacles' weren't involved.
As for 'feminism', surely it should be 'theminisn'.
Do posh people live in 'Manors' or 'Themors'?

Can you think of any more words that need 'upgrading'?

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 16 Feb 2023 22:52

Manhandling will become themhandling :-0 :-0 :-0 :-D

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 16 Feb 2023 23:06

Themagers?

Island

Island Report 16 Feb 2023 23:23

He needs to them up and stop angling for attention

Caroline

Caroline Report 17 Feb 2023 02:34

Do you still watch your P & Q's with themners?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 17 Feb 2023 09:16

Instead of "Ladies" and "Gents" public toilets, only have two doors marked "Them" and "Them"?

Or "Them" and "Wothem?" Or only unisex toilets?

If the doors are marked by symbols instead of words, surely it's sexist , and using gender assumptions, to show someone in a skirt on one, and someone in trousers on the other?

I'm a wothem, who always wears trousers - which toilet should I use?

Island

Island Report 17 Feb 2023 09:41

I'm sure there used to be a band called 'Them'.....

Themfred Them?

Barry Themilo?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 17 Feb 2023 09:50

Another group:
Brotherhood of Them. (Or are "brother" and "sister" not allowed? - Themhood of Them?)

Songs:

Them in Red. (Presumably "lady" isn't allowed.)

When a Them loves a Wothem.

Rocket Them.

Them! I feel like a Wothem!

It's raining Them.

Island

Island Report 17 Feb 2023 10:05

:-D :-D :-D AG

Them Friday?

Florence61

Florence61 Report 17 Feb 2023 11:05

And so it goes on and on!!

What a load of tosh. Good grief Sam Smith and others need to get a life as there are far worse things in this world to deal with other than changing the English language.

If he and others want to use a "new language" replace man with them etc...then he can but forcing or correcting others to use it is not acceptable.

All these people are nothing more than attention seekers and we should stop giving them the time of day. They contribute nothing to society, they just seek to confuse people.

As for words that need upgrading Maggie, its people like Sam Smith etc that need upgrading or rather regrading back to a "normal" human being.

Rant over

Florence in the hebrides

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 17 Feb 2023 11:26

He is a load of hot air as his “costume “ showed at the awards

I made the comment on the picture on Facebook of whoops I f..t.d but it won’t smell cos I managed to hold it in !!

:-D

Island

Island Report 17 Feb 2023 11:30

Crikey. there was me thinking it is a bit of a laugh :-0

'Rant over' :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 17 Feb 2023 12:03

Some wonderfu re-naming!!

Fully agree, Florence! :-D

Shirley, I also thought he - sorry they - looked like they'd f&rted in a bin bag :-D :-D

I really can't understand why these people want to label themselves - and everyone else - to the 'n'th degree.
We're all different - they should just get over themselves, and accept this fact.

I still find it strange that men haven't fought for the right to wear dresses, just because they're more comfortable in Summer, without being labelled as 'trans', or 'bi', or feeling the need to take over ladies public toilets.

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 17 Feb 2023 12:28

Crikey! My standard way of explaining to people why punctuation matters will become Wothem without their them is nothing. Punctuate that any way you like and it will still be nonsense. :-S

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 17 Feb 2023 12:31

:-D :-D :-D :-D

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 17 Feb 2023 13:59

Maggie, what did Alex Jones say?

Has fame has gone to SSmith’s head.

Thank goodness he is not my stylist. I can’t think of anyone in my family who would take him seriously but I can think of a few who would find him hilarious and/or, rather sadly, a bit unbalanced.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 17 Feb 2023 15:25

Alex said something about his wanting to be a fisherman.
He corrected her - he wanted to be a fisherTHEM! :-D :-D :-D :-D

Allan

Allan Report 17 Feb 2023 21:50

He/she/it/them needs to themup

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 17 Feb 2023 23:30

:-D :-D :-D :-D

.....or become an angler - which will get rid of the 'man' element.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 17 Feb 2023 23:44

Bet if Alex Jones had said angler he wouldnt have liked that!! But thats beating them at their own game,well thought of Maggie :-D :-D :-D