General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

census names

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

billybud

billybud Report 21 Feb 2023 16:35

so looking for some family in scotland and finding nothing!! how ever on one page there is an entry "child not yet named" as a 5day old son of the head of house hold. just wondering if anyone else has come across unusual entries?

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 21 Feb 2023 17:05

I don’t think that particularly odd.

Do you want anyone to help look for your missing family?

Island

Island Report 21 Feb 2023 18:16

Where are you looking?

I've recently seen 'child not named' on a census record but there is the one with the family dog with notes asking if the entry was required as head of house 'wasn't quite sure' :-D

Kense

Kense Report 21 Feb 2023 18:33

There ..as a thread some years ago about an entry where the baby was named "not wanted".

Island

Island Report 22 Feb 2023 00:01

Just had to have a look :-D

There are a number of Nots, some mistranscribed - 'Dot' for instance - somebody must have been nodding off....

Poor little Not Wanted James Colvill lived no longer than 6 months and is listed as such on original death reg, :-(

Best find was Not Butter - I can't believe it's.... :-D

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 22 Feb 2023 01:45

Where are you looking for your Scottish family?

GR only has records for England and Wales, and we tend not to use it for research in any case.

For Scotland you need Scotlands People:

https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

You have to register;
it's free to search;
to see original records, depending on the date, you either buy credits and view the record online, or else have to buy a copy of the certificate.

There are also some Scottish records on Ancestry, FindMyPast, Family Search. . . .

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 23 Feb 2023 10:01

It’s not unusual if a child is a newborn

Some people didn’t name the child till after it was christened

In England /wales you have six weeks to Reg the birth so often a child was christened before it’s birth was registered

Island

Island Report 23 Feb 2023 10:48

So where does 'christian name' come from? :-S

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 23 Feb 2023 10:58

That is an interesting question. Do you mean why call it a Christian name if it was baptised nameless.

It seems strange to baptise a nameless child. I wonder if those were done very quickly. The baby being poorly or they needed to catch the visiting priest. The same with registering an unnamed child - could it be that free time was so restricted the parents had to gallop off to register, or again, catch the visiting registrar.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 23 Feb 2023 15:20

Shirley, I think quite often the opposite happened and the birth was registered before the child was christened. Although both my sons had names, neither was christened until some considerable time later, long after the births were registered.

My great-grandfather had two sisters, and all three were baptised together when the youngest was a baby, by which time g-g was ten.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 23 Feb 2023 17:57

I think the term "christian" name was what everyone used whether the child had been baptised or not. Everyone in the UK belonged to a "christian" religion, one that believed in God.

It is only recently that it has become "forbidden" to use that term because it has been realised that many people either no longer believe in the "christian" faith or belong to other religions.

My 12 year old grandson has never been "christianed" or baptized, yet people refer to his "christian" name.

I have many ancestors who were baptized in bunches, either because there was no vicar and they had to wait until one came on a visit, or because they couldn't afford to pay. Yet the unbaptized children were called by their "christian" names.

I also know of a few people who even in recent times had not decided on the name for the child by the time s/he was born, and it took some time for the decision to be made.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 23 Feb 2023 18:08

As we didn’t know what we were getting we hadn’t decided on any names beforehand.

Island

Island Report 23 Feb 2023 20:00

I've always understood that being christened was baptism into the christian faith and the name a person was baptised/christened with is their 'christian' name.

It is only right that the term 'forename/s' should be used. It is presumptuous to say 'christian' name when you just don't know what faith someone is. I'm sure the term 'forename/s' has been on official forms for some time and quite right too.

Anyway...... has Billybud been back? :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 23 Feb 2023 20:10

names ..................

it was "agreed" between us that I would choose a name or names if the child was a girl, OH would choose for a boy, and that we would not use family names. The crucial point was that neither of us would criticize the other's choice. That way we would have the name immediately.

I broke that last one when OH announced his choices, both of Welsh origin, but I had a vision of calling either of those names out loud in a Canadian neighbourhood.

But it became moot when we had a girl ........................ but then it turned out that I had unwittingly broken the "no family names".

OH phoned his father, and was immediately told that one of OH's great aunts had been called that, and the other name I'd chosen was the same as OH's maternal grandmother's (he'd never known her full name as she was always referred to by a nickname).

The intriguing thing about the first name was that I had read a book about 10 years previous where one of the characters had the name, and I loved it, determined I would use if I ever had a child.

But then I started doing family history, and discovered that the name had come down one line of OH's ancestors from before the mid-1600s at least!

Our child was not baptised until she was 4 years old, after a babysitter had taken her several times to her church, which was a small proselytizing Christian one. Daughter saw a baptism there and asked if she could be baptised.

That started OH going back to the Anglican church, and a baptism ceremony! The vicar even picked up this 4 year old and held her so that he could make the cross on her forehead as he would have a baby.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 23 Feb 2023 23:05

I was born 6 weeks premature, and weighed 4lbs 8oz. A rather Catholic nurse decided I wouldn't live long, so, she took it upon herself to 'Christen' me before I died, so I could have a Christian burial!!
Mum (obviously) wasn't happy with this, or the name the nurse chose, and sent dad off to register me.
It seems that secretly, mum thought I wouldn't live long either - she named me after gran's sister, who died as a baby!!
Weirdly, of us 4 children, I'm the only one who wasn't officially Christened.

I wonder how often this situation may have arisen in the past, where a nurse took it upon themselves to do what they assumed was the 'good Christian' thing to do?

Florence61

Florence61 Report 23 Feb 2023 23:44

I have not had either of my children baptized/christened for the simple reason, no church will do this service unless you are a member of the said church. As I do not affiliate to any religion or church, my children are not baptized.

I believe that if they want to be baptized when they were old enough to understand what it meant, then that was up to them.

They both chose not to be baptized and neither are religious.

I just think it would be very hypocritical for someone to have their child baptized and never attend church afterwards.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 23 Feb 2023 23:48

maggie ...................

I discovered that for a long long time, anyone could baptize a baby if it seemed that s/he would not survive. I once heard that the baby was supposed to take at least 2 breaths, but it is thought that quite a few people did it anyway so that the baby could be buried in sanctified ground.

The "midwife" was often the person who did it.

I don't know whether this is still "allowable" these days, as most hospitals now have a chaplain on duty, and, like an Army chaplain, s/he can perform blessings for other religions in extremity.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 24 Feb 2023 07:15

I found quite a few parish register entries stating the baby had beeen baptised at home. I always assumed the child was poorly and not expected to live - they did.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 24 Feb 2023 09:24

Names, I have often seen records like that and sometimes there is a followup note that 'Mary Smith'... or whoever was received into the church, usually when the privately baptised child was taken into a church service at a later date and publically acknowledged as a member of the church.

I remember my mother telling me that the midwife baptised a neighbour's little girl. She later thrived and now lives in Canada. This was late 1940s.

I think any of these private baptisms by midwives 'counts' in the eyes of the church, so no need for the more usual form of Christening.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 24 Feb 2023 09:28

The ones I was thinking about were in the 1800’s. Would the local woman who assisted at birthing take it upon themselves to baptise the baby I wonder.