General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Toilet rolls

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 24 Feb 2023 11:35

I am sure they all have fewer sheets these days but has anyone else noticed that the paper is like tissue paper These are Andrex. I am sure they have changed very recently. Same price or dearer than they were of course.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 24 Feb 2023 12:01

I don't think they have fewer sheets, but they certainly aren't as thick as they used to be. I switched from Cushelle, once very good, to Andrex, which are a bit better.

I have occasionally used paper hankies, when out somewhere that hasn't any loo paper, and they are actually much better!! Kleenex men's is the make.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 24 Feb 2023 12:15

Andrex quilted seem to be the same, Ann. Has anyone tried the rolls without the cardboard tube - can’t remember the brand.

A giggle for you and a great idea for those like the royals who buy joke gifts (although they may have thought of it already) - I once knew someone who bought a pack of twin loo rolls for someone for a birthday present, saying it should be the ideal gift cos they talked a load of poo anyway! :-D

Edit ….. sorry, folks, Friday is fun day. :-D

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 24 Feb 2023 12:39

They have been gradually making them with fewer sheets. A few years ago there were 240 sheets to a roll,then 220, now it's usually 200. I haven't particularly noticed them getting more flimsy. I now usually buy the Andrex maxi rolls which have 300 sheets. Packs of 9 are usually on offer at one shop or another.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 24 Feb 2023 13:02

maybe it was just one lot I had I have noticed but to pull down the roll (and I don't tug because my holder is a bit fragile!!) instead of the roll running down a few sheets the first or first and second sheet detach.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 24 Feb 2023 13:03

I used to buy one supermarket own brand but found that Waitrose was much softer (240 sheets). Bargain as Waitrose is much closer.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 24 Feb 2023 14:23

I buy Nicky Soft Touch from Amazon. 32 rolls for £9.75 min of 2 pack purchase. They were out of stock but back in stock now.

Once in another house, we had a blocked drain and the water co man that came said, do not put triple velvet or thick loo paper down the toilet as the pipes are old and thin and this will block the pipes.

I found this brand online during lockdown and have used it ever since.

I do also bulk buy Kleenex ultra soft tissues for my sinuses but when out I too always take plenty with me incase a public toilet has no loo paper.

Florence in the hebrides

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 24 Feb 2023 15:34

I’d never heard of zNicky until you mentioned them a while ago. Then I found their tissues in Sainsbury in the old style deeper boxes - not bad.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 24 Feb 2023 16:18

There are 200 sheets per roll, I just checked. Never seen boxed tissues though, ty names.

Its the 32 pack with the red stripe down one side not the elite ones and its £9.25 even better :-D

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 24 Feb 2023 17:43

Tissues for sinuses ;-)

They used to come in boxes of 150, now most come in a much thinner box of 90 or 100.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 24 Feb 2023 17:49

When my sinuses are bad, i sneeze hundreds of times a day and blow my nose as permanently blocked. i get through a box a day sometimes :-(

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 24 Feb 2023 19:13

Our toilet rolls have also become narrower gradually over many years ............. I notice that the toilet roll holder is now quite a lot wider than the toilet roll!

We buy 3 ply toilet paper, double roll in packs of 9=18 or 12=24 rolls when they come on sale, which is at least once a month! Royale is the make we use, but I don't think you will have that one. It's nice and soft.

We also buy 3 ply Royale facial tissues when they come on sale of 9 or 12 boxes.

Allan

Allan Report 24 Feb 2023 21:06

We use sheets torn from old telephone directories

Florence61

Florence61 Report 24 Feb 2023 21:45

:-D :-D :-D :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 24 Feb 2023 23:08

Telephone directories are much softer tha 'Izal', or the newspaper we used to use.

Allan

Allan Report 24 Feb 2023 23:18

We change to the telephone directories when we got an inside toilet. When we had the outside tippler we use sheets cut from the 'Times'. The neighbours thought that we were very snobbish!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 24 Feb 2023 23:56

:-D :-D :-D :-D

We used the 'Mirror', as that's the paper my parents (and me when in the loo) read.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 25 Feb 2023 00:11

My sister (who usually uses stuff like 'Cushelle') was at my place last week, and she was impressed with my 'Tesco' own brand loo paper.

This could have been true, or it could have been because I'd fixed the loo seat, and it no longer slides sideways when you sit on it. :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 25 Feb 2023 00:31

Gawd .............. I remember Izal from the school loos back in the 40s and 50s!

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 25 Feb 2023 08:25

Izal made good tracing paper when I was little.