General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Tomatoes

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Island

Island Report 14 Mar 2023 13:33

Anyone grow them?
Like most I had a bumper crop last year - rather too many cherry size.
I also grew 'gardners delight' but didn't rate them on taste.

Any names for slicing tomatos with a good sweet taste which will grow outside?

answers below please

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 14 Mar 2023 13:50

Our family like Alicante.

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 14 Mar 2023 13:51

A few years ago I got a freebie packet of seeds that did OK in pots outside. They were called Harbinger. They were medium sized and had a bit of flavour. Might be worth a try..

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 14 Mar 2023 14:23

I grow Alicante too, I find them sweet and very tasty. I grow them outside in a raised bed along with Cherry Tomatoes which for the life of me I cannot remember the name of and want to grow again :-S :-S :-S :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 14 Mar 2023 14:24

I grew Alicante outside last year they are medium sized and had a good taste.

Island

Island Report 14 Mar 2023 18:03

Thanks all
Alicante then :-D Last year I had 4 types of cherry and 4 bigger toms. Got mixed up of course LOL Not so bad with the cherries as they were different colours but the others all looked the same, Candy crush was one of them
I'll have a look at Harbinger too thanks Vera. I like to have a variety.

Usual website is not as informative this year. Tomatoes are all lumped together, 87 varieties! It was much better when they were divided into types :-(

What colour were your cherry toms LG?

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 14 Mar 2023 18:39

Red Island although I might try some yellow ones as well this year.I was not sure if Tomatoes would grow here as we only moved to this house in Feb 2022

Fly

Fly Report 14 Mar 2023 19:02

I don't grow tomatoes ;-)

Island

Island Report 14 Mar 2023 19:09

LG I had some delicious yellow cherry toms one year, bought plants. Have I been able to find plants or seeds since? :-| I think they were ? tumblers ?tumbling?
Could have been Tumbling toms yellow

I like some of the black cherry toms such as black opal but typically, I've not found the ones I first grew which had me hooked.

Alicante sold out! :-0

Island

Island Report 14 Mar 2023 19:10

I bet you eat them Fly :-D :-D :-D

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 14 Mar 2023 19:12

That shows just how popular they are Island :-). I buy ready grown plants as we have nowhere to set seeds. I also grew mini cucumbers last year and they did really well too so I shall be looking for those too. We had so many that I kept the family well supplied

Island

Island Report 14 Mar 2023 19:31

I'll have a look in the local outdoor shop tomorrow LG, see if they've got a stray packet of Alicante.
Mr Fothergill has variety packs of six type of toms, tempted but a bit pricey for other seeds I want. I grow little Marketmore cues fantastic first year, seven years ago but not so prolific since - last year nothing, could have been the heatwaves.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 14 Mar 2023 20:00

Have you looked for them online ?

Island

Island Report 14 Mar 2023 20:27

Yes. My usual supplier Premier seeds has sold out and one or two others. I don't really want to order from too many sites to get all that I want. I'm looking at Seed Parade, they have Alicante toms but don't stock patty pan squash, Decisions....

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 14 Mar 2023 20:40

Have you tried Suttons seeds I used them when I lived at my old house and had a greenhouse to use for seed growing

Island

Island Report 14 Mar 2023 20:54

LG, I've just ordered from Seed Parade. Alicante, Moneymaker (which I'd forgotten about) Tigerella, Black cherry and Golden Sunrise. Oops :-D Should be plenty of different colours :-D
I'll sow indoors mid April.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 14 Mar 2023 21:00

Well done Island :-). I have to get out and get my raised bed ready for plants to go in. I have not been outside too much yet as it has been really cold and my old bones don't like it :-D :-D :-D

Island

Island Report 14 Mar 2023 21:07

Same here. Went out today for all of 5 minutes just in time to get pelted with hail. Spotted frogspawn in the pond :-D and memo-ed to me that I'll need a machete on the raised bed - sweetcorn stems still in :-0

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 14 Mar 2023 21:10

:-D :-D. I miss my fish pond that I left behind :-(. We had frogs and newts in it as well as fish. This garden is quite small so no room for one and we have big trees at the back which would be no good for one either

Island

Island Report 14 Mar 2023 21:15

Just frogs here, they keep the slugs at bay. Slug population was awful until we put the pond in. - revolting looking things too. :-0