Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

trying to find josesph

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

coreen

coreen Report 1 Apr 2009 13:31

Hi my name is anne I have been trying to find the bith cert of my grandfather Joseph Brown he was born in Carlisle in 1879. I found him on the 1901 cencus he was aged 12 father's name Thomas Brown born scotland and he was a french polisher. I would be grateful for any help

Dea

Dea Report 1 Apr 2009 13:35

There would appear to be 2 registered:

Births Jun 1879 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brown Joseph Carlisle 10b 511

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Births Sep 1879 (>99%)

Brown Joseph Carlisle 10b 493

There is no way to be sure which one it would be but the 1901 census was taken on 31st March so if he was 'truly' 12 on there, I would go for the 1st one registered in June Q.

The later one would still only be 11 on 1901 census.

Dea x

coreen

coreen Report 1 Apr 2009 13:39

hi thanks do you know if there is a way to check to see if it's the right cert without having to buy it

anne

Dea

Dea Report 1 Apr 2009 13:41

Short answer............... no!

Dea x

GillianMac

GillianMac Report 1 Apr 2009 13:45

There is a baptism on the IGI for a Joseph Brown at St marys Carlisle 26/10/1879 and HE is son of Robert and Ann. Given that baptism was quite soon after birth in those days the odds are that that baptism relates to the Sep Q Birth so I would go for the June Q birth

Dea

Dea Report 1 Apr 2009 13:49

Hang on...................

I have just been to look at 1901 where you say you have him aged 12 !!

If he was born in 1879 he would have been 22 ????????

Which bit is wrong here please?

Dea x

Dea

Dea Report 1 Apr 2009 13:56

It depends on which bit Anne has got wrong!

We need her to come back and confirm please!

Dea x

coreen

coreen Report 1 Apr 2009 14:00

hi dea i have just checked on his marriage cert and deducted his age from the year he was married. he was married in 1902 and was 23 so his birth year was 1879 so i must have it wrong somewhere

anne

Dea

Dea Report 1 Apr 2009 14:03

O.K.,

Lets start from the cert then and work back.

Can you give us EVERYTHING from the cert - names, addresses, ages, occupations, fathers, witnesses etc........

Dea x

P.S. - The JuneQ cert 1879 still looks favourite!!

Dea x

coreen

coreen Report 1 Apr 2009 14:03

hi sorry gillian not the right one but thanks for your help
regards anne

coreen

coreen Report 1 Apr 2009 14:14

right dea the info is joseph brown married 13/6/1902 age 23 to jane halliday age 21 joseph father and mother is thomas brown french polisher. elizabeth brown ms oliver (deceased) can't make out witnesses names as it is a copy. thats all the info i have sorry it's taken so long newbie and not a good typer

anne

Dea

Dea Report 1 Apr 2009 14:18

Hi again,

I will take a look but don't think I will be able to help further.

Although you have not given the other details, this looks to me like a Scottish marriage cert and I do not have access to Scottish records.

It is likely that he was also in Scotland for the 1901.

Dea x

coreen

coreen Report 1 Apr 2009 14:27

hi again dea it is a scottish cert but joseph was born in england. His father Thomas must have moved down to carlisle from scotland don't know if he was married when he moved' but joseph was born in carlisle don't knoww if there are any siblings but joseph must have moved to scotland at some time. by the way they were creamery workers thank for your help

anne

Dea

Dea Report 1 Apr 2009 14:45

I can't see them even on the 1881 - they must have moved to Scotland very soon after his birth ? - You say they are 'creamery workers' - I thought his father was a 'French Polisher' ?

Dea x

coreen

coreen Report 1 Apr 2009 14:55

hi dea joseph and jane were creamery workers married at the manse in duddingston in scotland. joseph's father was a french polisher mother elizabeth m.s. oliver was deceased jane's father was william halliday ploughman deceased mother margaret halliday m.s.permen. I have some info on them as it is in scotland it's just joseph's birth i can't find

anne

Dea

Dea Report 1 Apr 2009 15:50

I don't think that we can get much closer than the one in June Q 1879 which I gave you on page 1.

Dea x

coreen

coreen Report 1 Apr 2009 16:03

hi dea so sorry i've taken so long to reply i had to pop out. It's ok thanks for the help you have ginen me I will order that birth cert to see if it's him (cross fingers) i'm used to hitting brick walls thanks so much

anne x

Dea

Dea Report 1 Apr 2009 16:10

You are very welcome - I just hope it is the right one!! - Let me know when you recieve it .

Dea x

coreen

coreen Report 1 Apr 2009 16:12

sorry annie i seem to have ignored you didn't mean too. I am going to order the earlier cert as he seems the most likely, joseph was the one born in carlisle his father was born in scotland joseph must have moved to scotland and married here as i have a copy of his marriage cert also his death cert. thanks again for your input

regards anne x

coreen

coreen Report 1 Apr 2009 16:20

dea I wil.
I am still quite new to all this, but finding my way with your's and other people's help It's all quite exciting when you find your relatives
keep up all your good work people, don't know what we would do without you

anne