Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Australia/Victoria - My Great Grandfather James Fu

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kevin

Kevin Report 30 Aug 2010 04:08

James Fuller married Elizabeth Sheldon 13/10/1890 Richmond, Victoria. He died 27/4/1919 Melbourne, Victoria.
I have his marriage and death certificates.

From those certificates it indicates he was born at Richmond, Victoria in 1867 and his parents supposed to be John Fuller and Jane Morrison.

Now there is no data on James Fuller's birth, cannot find his parents marriage or death's anywhere - but there must be something.

Now there was a story in the family told by my Grandmother (who married James Fuller's son James) that the family name had changed.

This would be my biggest brick wall which I cannot seem to get past.

Is there anyone that could help or maybe help direct me toward the areas to next search.

Kev

Cherilyn

Cherilyn Report 30 Aug 2010 05:12

This has been a curious one and I think I may be onto something. Bear with me...!

There is a Jane LOVE who married a John FULLER in 1867 (reg 3154).

These appear to be her 'LOVE' children from a prior marriage:
1. Margaret 1862 Camp [father James, mother Jane McMILLAN]
2. James 1863 Melb [father James, mother Jane McMILLAN]
3. William 1865 Richmond [father James, mother Jane McMILLAN], d. 1871 aged 6 [father James, mother Jane MORRISON!]
4. Emily 1867 Collingwood [father James, mother Jane MORISON!!!!]

The plot thickens!

Maybe Jane remarried to John FULLER in 1867 and the above LOVE children took his name??? Could your Jas be Jas LOVE b. 1863?

A death for James LOVE (snr) in 1867 aged 38, born 'Gree' (reg 6180). Now the reason this is interesting is that the marriage of Jane to John FULLER shows her birthplace as Greenock!

Still looking...

Cherilyn

Cherilyn Report 30 Aug 2010 05:28

The Argus, Wednesday 27 March 1867
LOVE.-On the 22nd inst., at Westwood-place, Bourke street east, Mrs. J. Love of a daughter.

[Emily's birth]

His death?

Surname: FULLER
Given Names: John
Event: D
Father: Saml
Mother: Rachel FULLER
Death Place: RMOND
Year: 1886
Reg Number: 7041

Could be her death:

Surname: FULLER
Given Names: Jane
Event: D
Father: Unknown
Mother: UNKNOWN
Death Place: S Y
Year: 1893
Reg. Number: 3788

Cherilyn

Cherilyn Report 30 Aug 2010 05:37

Only problem with this theory is that I can't trace the siblings, not as LOVE or as FULLER!!!

Cherilyn

Cherilyn Report 30 Aug 2010 06:02

Might be worth getting the marriage cert (1867) anyway, even if to see if this is the Jane nee MORRISON/McMILLAN).

$17.50 well spent if it does break down that brick wall!!! :-)

https://online.justice.vic.gov.au/bdm/index-search?action=purchaseImage

Kevin

Kevin Report 30 Aug 2010 06:13

Could the children have died?
I never heard that James had any brother or sisters.
Unusual now that I am doing the tree but when a young child of cause I didn't question.
Good Sleuthing - one must always get out of the square and do lots of laterial thinking.

Kevin

Kevin Report 30 Aug 2010 06:18

Actually the death of Jane at South Yarra.
I am sure I remember seeing a Census showing the Fuller family living at South Yarra. (James and Elizabeth (Sheldon) and kids) - that is James Love (Fuller)'s son.
(Sorry going off memory - haven't got all my data with me.)

Cherilyn

Cherilyn Report 30 Aug 2010 06:24

Yes James and Elizabeth had a son John who was born (and died young) at Soth Yarra. Thought it could be a connection somehow.

It was young Wm's death aged 6 that got me going on this line of thinking, only because his mother's name was Jane MORRISON but his birth didn't match, and then the Richmond link as well.

I have looked for deaths of the others but no luck.

Maybe someone else can have a go?? I'd love to find out if this is the right family.

Kevin

Kevin Report 30 Aug 2010 06:40

Cherilyn - Thank you for all your help

Kevin

Kevin Report 31 Aug 2010 22:10

Well Cherilyn

Yesterday I spend a fair bit of time starting right back a the start and seening what I could prove.
Each of the children of the Love Children as you showed had the mothers name as Jane McMillan except one - well on their deaths they are all showing the mother as Jane Morrison/Morison. So that I expect tightened the theory so far. (Looks like the McMillan is dissappearing - why?)

Thought now it would be a good time to get a copy of Jane's death certificate and then check the electoral rolls for the location where the Fuller lived in South Yarra.
If Jane is there then that would tighten your theory much tighter as I see it.

I'll keep you in the loop but working slowly on this. I don't want to jump and accept to only later find I was wrong.
But looking good so far.
Thank you
Kev

Kevin

Kevin Report 1 Sep 2010 07:50

An additional Update

Purchased a copy of Jane Love (Morrison) and John Fuller's marriage certificate.

Very interesting - she is shown a widowed in 1867.
It also shows she has 4 children but it is shown in the column as all dead. (A figure 4 was put in the Live Column and then crossed out and the word "four" written in the dead column)

Could this be where the name of the children moved form Love to Fuller?

It shows her father as James Morrison and mother Violet Morrison (McIntyre)

John was shown as a bachelor and employment a Malster

John signed his name but Jane left her mark

So where did the McMillan come into the picture - was that a previous marriage again? She would have been very young if that was the case, Unless she moved her age around like many did.

So we have the right Jane here especially now the death register is showing "Morrison on each of her childrens death.

So I thought I should check again the electoral roll & census and see if the family were all together including Jane at South Yarra. Then maybe get her death certificate.

I have been working on the marriages of each of the children and I think I have them.

Also I found another child Thomas William born 1875 / 23972 - so maybe 5 children at this point.

Kevin

Kevin Report 1 Sep 2010 08:44

Just received the the death certificate of Jane and I believe it is the right one. Unfortunately a post mortum was carried out on her death and so the doctor was the one that filled out the certificate details.
He has quoted that she was previously married but details of children unknown.
Details of parents unknown.
Was in Australia for 40 years so that would mean she arrived in 1853 aged 12 or maybe 16.
So must find a ship.
Birth place shown as Edinburgh which the other side of Scotland to Greenock but still Scottish.
She is buried at Williamstown so I will check that but hopefully she is not in an un-named or porpers grave which I believe they were all buried at Williamstown.
So I still believe Cherilyn - your original analysis is holding true.

Kevin

Kevin Report 2 Sep 2010 08:23

A little bit more on the marriage of James Love and Jane Morrision.

First I cannot find any reference to a marriage - maybe it did not happen. But I did find that James Love death register and it quotes he was born in Greenock, Scotland.

If that be the case - both he and Jane were born in the same location.

Now for them to be married before they left Scotland she would have been 11-16 years of age. At this stage not likely. I also searched for any reference to McMillian - previous marriage again or something - well nothing showed.

Year of arrival for Jane is about 1853 to Australia.
Shipping records to be found yet.

On the marriage certificate of John Fuller to Jane, she could only leave her mark X.

I have found that Jane Fuller is buried at Williamstown Cemetery so I will visit to see if any headstones. The records have no service dates.

Cherilyn

Cherilyn Report 3 Sep 2010 05:17

Well this just gets more and more interesting!

There is a birth of a daughter, Harriet, to John FULLER & Jane McINTYRE in Richmond in 1870! (reg 18531).

Now on Jane's death cert she gives her mother's mn as McINTYRE!

Coincidence or...?

As for Thos Wm FULLER b. 1875 in Maryborugh to Jane FULLER, father not named, I am not convinced this is a link. ?

I have been wondering if 'our Jane' has lied about her age somewhat. It is another leap of course but there is a James LOVE (23) and Mrs LOVE (25) with John (4) and Eliza (2) arriving in Vic in Aug 1852 aboard 'Emigrant' (unassisted). Also Jas LOVE (40) with Margaret (35), Eliza (21), Joseph (19), & Wm (13).

That does create a dispute with the number of deceased chn given on her marriage cert. Did you find marriages or deaths for any of the other LOVE chn?

Cherilyn

Cherilyn Report 3 Sep 2010 05:27

Just a thought - does Jane's death cert state she was widowed? If the death for John FULLER in 1886 is the right one then she would be.

???

Kevin

Kevin Report 3 Sep 2010 10:14

Boy would'nt life be lovely if all things were simple - but then it would probably be boring.

Funny you say about her changing her age. At the moment it would appear she was born either 1837 to 1841 but who knows.

The birth location of both James Love and Jane Morrison are both Greenock, Scotland. Interesting??

Basing the fact that she had 4 children as above then i looked for marriages.

1. Margaret Ann Fuller m Frederick Carter Pinney 1885 / 3689

2. Margaret Prest Fuller m John Wallbank 1886 / 3615v

Both these fit time wise.

3. Emily Fuller m Harrison Vance 1886 / 2990
(Emily shown as Bn:Chinamans Flat)

4. James Fuller m Eliza Sheldon 1890 / 8248
( thats confirmed with my family and certificates.)

So the above marriages fit with time - I would need to get more certificates of these to work out the who who's.

Had a quick look at shipping records for arrivals of Jane McIntyre, Morrison, John Fuller and James Love but not much joy at this stage.

Tomorrow I will go to the Williamstown Cemetery and see if there is a Headstone - that may give a little somewhere.

Now what is interesting here is that she is buried with William Francis; Edith Fuller; and Charles Fuller - no data for dates of buriel or ages, etc.

So lets see what tomorrow brings.

Kevin

Kevin Report 3 Sep 2010 15:09

The death certificate looks like it was more filled in by a doctor more than someone with much knowledge of her past.
Written - ie. Post Mortum

It quotes that she was 40 years in Victoria.
Born: Edinburgh. - So Scotland lines up with Greenock.
If she was married - Yes
Particulars of marriage and children - Unknown
Particulars of Parents - unknown

From that I would say married and then either widowed or divorced - most likely widowed.
So she died 17/2/1893. South Yarra.
Her age 52.
Burial: Williamstown Cemetery.
Religion: Church of England
Lived at: 69 Morre Street. South Yarra.
(I think it is Moore)

Kevin

Kevin Report 3 Sep 2010 15:34

I obtained the death certificate of the above John Fuller
Died 1886 / 7041

Wrong one

He was married to a Charlotte Bates when he was 33 years old.
In Victoria for 30 years and
has only one son - John Curtis (Curtin) Fuller aged 26.

Lived at 15 Grattam St Richmond
Buried Kew Cemetery 5th April
Died 3rd April 1886
Religion: Roman Catholic

So wrong one to our Jane if she holds
I think Jane will be the key

Cherilyn

Cherilyn Report 4 Sep 2010 02:57

Hi again

Hmmm it is quite a leap from Edinburgh to Greenock! I am also confused as to why she would have been buried at Williamstown. And if it says 'Married? Yes' then I would think that means she is still married, or it would more likely say 'widow'.

So though the marriage cert holds some weight, the death cert is a little dubious, IMHO.

Did you see my theory (end p1) re the immigration of Jas & Mrs Love?

We can exclude Margaret Ann who m. PINNEY as her father was Francis FULLER on her death. Nothng for Jno or Marg WALLBANK, or Emily & Harrison VANCE.

Chinaman's Flat was just out of Maryborough so not really a match anyway.

Cherilyn

Cherilyn Report 4 Sep 2010 03:13

A Charles FULLER died in Williamstown in 1904 aged 62, son of James & Elizabeth (nee HAYNE).

Harrison & Emily VANCE had chn in Eaglehawk. But no trace of them after that.

There is a tree online for Margaret Prest FULLER m. WALLBANK showing both as born in Sth Aust. She was born 1870.

I know it is tempting to order lots of certs but be selective or you risk spending a lot of $ for not much gain! I admit I am curious about the birth of Harriet FULLER though with mother as Jane McINTYRE! ;-)

(By the by, no death or marriage found for Hart either - she is not the one who married Louis FIELDING as her parents were Mark & Harriet FULLER nee BETTERIDGE).