Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Herbert Hook tring to trace his life in Toronto an

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Marilyn

Marilyn Report 12 Oct 2010 21:25

Herbert Hook of Bristol and Toronto Please does anyone know how I can find out about Herbert Hooks service in mounties we have medals but no details and if cnecus records are available in Canada.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 12 Oct 2010 21:32

1901 and 1911 censuses in Canada are here:

http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/index.html

Also 1906 census of Prairie Provinces.

There is a Herbert Hook on the 1911 census who was born July 1887 in England and emigrated 1903. He's a hired hand in Ontario.

Marilyn

Marilyn Report 12 Oct 2010 21:47

Thankyou very much this is a big mystery as it seems he left a family in Canada and started another in England when he returned.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 12 Oct 2010 21:48

A Herbert Hook enlisted for WW1 in Canada. He was born 14 May 1885, Bristol, Gloucester. He was married, a chauffeur, living at 1179 Davenport Rd., Toronto, Ontario.
Oops, just noticed this one is William Herbert Hook.

Marilyn

Marilyn Report 12 Oct 2010 22:01

That could be him he came from a family that owned a Funeral business and his bother and him had a taxi firm in Bristol when he returned. I have a picture of him and a lady and baby with a Toronto address. He then had another family in Bristol my mother in law was the child.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 12 Oct 2010 22:01

Marilyn, if you give us a few important facts, like his date of birth, when he came to Canada, parents' names (which would be on a marriage record in Ontario), we might be able to help a little better. Seriously -- nobody here *knows* Herbert Hook, so nobody has a clue what to be looking for.

Canadian records are impossible to access for a large part of the 20th century -- privacy legislation prevents the disclosure of personal info like births, marriages and deaths. If we know what time period is in question, we'll know whether info might be found.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 12 Oct 2010 22:04

There are Herbert Hook marriages in Bristol in 1917, 1947, 1932 and 1955 ...

Still no idea what time period you are talking about.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 12 Oct 2010 22:09

There is one Herbert Hook marriage in Ontario up to 1926 (the cutoff year for access) -- to Minna O Lee.

I don't pay for access at Ancestry.ca so I can't see the details, like the year, place or parents' names.

Marilyn

Marilyn Report 12 Oct 2010 22:14

His name was Herbert Hook 1886 on of seven children son of William and Eliza Hook. He went to canada and joined up in Canada for WWI for which we have medals. The family in England owned a Funeral Business and when he returned to Bristol he ran a taxi business and also worked for Frys chocolate factory. It is a mystery as the photo I have of him has a womon and baby and it seems he had a family in canada and when he returned he then had a family my mother in law being the child it seems years ago the canadian family tried to get in touch but thing were hushed up and my mother in law was not put in the picture.He emigrated in 1903

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 12 Oct 2010 22:16

Well, he's in the 1911 census. If you use the link MM gave

http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/index.html

you should be able to find him and view his details.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 12 Oct 2010 22:19

Here, for easy ref:

Hook Herbert M Hired Man S Jul 1887 23 1901 - immigrated 1903
Hook Clarence M Hired Man S Feb 1890 21 - immigrated 1908

(details can be seen on the image by clicking on "split view" and then enlarging)

so not married by that time.

-- but no, that Herbert will be this one in Norwich in the 1901 English census:

Samuel J Hook 57
Cordelia Hook 49
Florence Hook 27
Horace Hook 19
Frank Hook 17
Reginald Hook 16
> Herbert Hook 14
Irene Hook 13
> Clarance Hook 12

Odd how he resembles yours in the details.

This is the one in the 1911 Canadian census, on two trips to Canada:

HOOK H V C 1887 M 1903 Liverpool Canada Montreal
HOOK H V C 1887 M 1905 Liverpool Canada Halifax

Births Sep 1886
HOOK Herbert Victor C Norwich 4b 164

So he is also the Herbert V Hook who married Minna O Lee, I would think.

This is yours in the 1901 English census in Bristol:

William Hook 37
Eliza Hook 34
> Hilbert Hook 15 [name has been corrected at Ancestry]
Mabel Hook 13
William Hook 8
Ethel Hook 6
Reginald Hook 7
Alfred Hook 2
Gladys Hook 1

and I don't see a 1903 passage to Canada for him at FMP:

http://www.findmypast.co.uk/passengerListPersonSearchStart.action

or see him in the 1911 Canadian census.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 12 Oct 2010 22:52

Dang, it helps to give accurate information.

No Herbert Hook was born anytime around 1886, anywhere around Bristol.

http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl

Free, easy access to birth registration info.

Births Jun 1885
Hook William Herbert Barton R. 6a 83

So the WWI record MM found was indeed your "Herbert".

But I still don't see him on a passenger list or in the 1911.

Name: William H Hook
Death Registration Month/Year: 1934
Age at death (estimated): 48
Registration district: Bristol
Inferred County: Gloucestershire
Volume: 6a
Page: 38

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 12 Oct 2010 22:59

Marilyn, you started the thread by saying he was in the Mounties. Is that accurate? Or are the medals you're referring to from WW1?

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 12 Oct 2010 23:12

MM, do you have Ancestry.ca access?

It shows a William Hook in Portage La Prairie in 1911 born c1886. I can't find that person at automatedgenealogy at all (even browsing H surnames in Portage La Prairie).

That would be a more likely place to be in the RCMP, really. Possibly before a move to Toronto?

I also can't see a marriage in Manitoba, at the provincial site

http://vitalstats.gov.mb.ca/Query.php

or in Ontario at Ancestry.

Or, for that matter, in Bristol before 1934.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 12 Oct 2010 23:24

Fed up. Augomatedgenealogy just crashed my Firefox again. (Do not try to back-page from a split screen -- it has done it to me twice now.)

In the 1906 Western Canada census (and I'm doing this from memory now) there is a William Hook, hired man, aged 19, in Battleford, Saskatchewan, single, born in England, immigrated in 1903.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 12 Oct 2010 23:47

JC, the William Hook in Portage la Prairie in 1911 was born USA.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 13 Oct 2010 00:28

Marilyn, when was your mother-in-law born? What was her name? Her mother's maiden name? When did her parents marry?

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 13 Oct 2010 00:33

Marilyn seems less interested than us ...

There is the possibility of applying for his military records, of course. It's slow and can be a bit pricey, but his daughter could do it.

http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/youth/sub.cfm?source=help/generalfaq#obtain

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/genealogy/022-909.006-e.html

I'm not finding the actual info about ordering. If Marilyn is interested, she'll let us know.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 13 Oct 2010 00:42

Now, now, JC, remember it's after midnight over 'ome. I'm always in bed well before that witching hour. I'll probably be staying up later tonight in hopes of seeing some of the Chilean miners being rescued.

mgnv

mgnv Report 13 Oct 2010 05:24

Janey - First, if you go to LAC's CEF search screen:
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/cef/001042-100.01-e.php
and then take the "search help" link, you'll find a further link on ordering a WW1 soldier's service record.

Second, AG has Wm Hook on the 1911 as Wm Cook