Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

need to trace all descendants of Albert Victor Nel

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Leslie

Leslie Report 16 Oct 2009 14:01

I need to find all descendants of Albert Victor Nelson and Lavina of West Ham.

So far I have three appearing in the 1901 census and my particular interest Horace Henry dob 1906. so need the children between 1900 and 1905, then those post 1906.

Then of course their descendants.

Now getting urgent - asnyone out there?

Julie

Julie Report 16 Oct 2009 14:08

Have you tried running those names you do know through the search trees on here

Choccy

Choccy Report 16 Oct 2009 14:10

1911 census

HOUSEHOLD NELSON ADA F 1904 7 West Ham Essex
HOUSEHOLD NELSON ALBERT M 1873 38 West Ham Essex
HOUSEHOLD NELSON ALBERT M 1895 16 West Ham Essex
HOUSEHOLD NELSON BEATRICE F 1899 12 West Ham Essex
HOUSEHOLD NELSON FREDERICK M 1897 14 West Ham Essex
HOUSEHOLD NELSON HORACE M 1907 4 West Ham Essex
HOUSEHOLD NELSON NELLY F 1903 8 West Ham Essex
HOUSEHOLD NELSON LAVINA F 1876 35 West Ham Essex

Choccy

Choccy Report 16 Oct 2009 14:13

Marriages Dec 1894 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nelson Albert Victor Poplar 1c 1045
Wickham Vina Poplar 1c 1045

not finding any more births with Nelson/Wickham parents after 1911

Potty

Potty Report 16 Oct 2009 14:14

Bit of a tall order, Leslie. If you go to the freebmd site you will be able to find 55 Nelson children born between 1901 and 1911.

This is Horace Henry:

Births Sep 1906 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nelson Horace Henry W. Ham 4a 53

Do you know Lavina's maiden name? From Sept 1911 onwards, you can search for births using the MMN.

Have you looked for them on the 1911? You will have to pay to view the transcription or the image.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 16 Oct 2009 14:27

I'd be curious what the urgency is, and what you have done to trace these people. Or are you not looking for help, just hoping a descendant will see your message? The odds of that happening, unfortunately, are close to nil.

Pretty easy to find Horace Henry Nelson's marriage, I think, although it's not yet at FreeBMD.

http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl

What I would suspect is his marriage is at Ancestry:

Name: Horace H Nelson
Spouse: Lilian Harwood
Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1929
Registration district: Stepney
Registration county (inferred): Middlesex
Volume Number: 1c
Page Number: 523

Only the marriage certificate, with his age and father's name, will tell for sure.

Then it's a matter of searching for births of Nelson children with Harwood mother. Because the individual may be living, I won't put the details here, but you can find her birth at FreeBMD. There are no other likely births in the (complete) index at Ancestry.

Debbie K

Debbie K Report 16 Oct 2009 14:33

could be Albert and Lavina marriage

Name: Albert Victor Nelson
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1872
Spouse Name: Vina Wickham
Spouse Age: 20
Record Type: Marriage
Event Date: 9 Dec 1894
Parish: Saint Michael And All Angels, Bromley
County: Middlesex
Borough: Tower Hamlets
Father Name: Charles Frederick Nelson

Deb

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 19 Oct 2009 15:54

PM received from Stephen (Leslie) - have advised about posting in thread.

There is some urgency here (I won't post the details he provided). It appears that Henry Horace Nelson was estranged from his family and no record can be found of him.

This is the marriage:

Name: Horace H Nelson
Spouse: Lilian Harwood
Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1929
Registration district: Stepney
Registration county (inferred): Middlesex
Volume Number: 1c
Page Number: 523

There's only one birth, and I will PM it to Stephen. Oops; the child of the marriage is the person Stephen knows ...

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 19 Oct 2009 16:09

Stephen - you asked about the 1911. The search form is here:

http://www.1911census.co.uk/search/tnaform.aspx

Using the info choccy gave, you can find the household -- search for, say, Nelson in West Ham living with Lavina Nelson. Then you can buy credits to look at the original image, which will tell you how long the parents were married and each person's reported place of birth, for instance.

The household in 1901 in West Ham:

Albert Nelson 27 - born Victoria Docks West Ham
Lavina Nelson 26 - born Norwich, Norfolk
Albert Nelson 5 - born Canning Town
Frederick Nelson 3 - "
Lavina Nelson 2 - " (Beatrice?)

FannyByGaslight

FannyByGaslight Report 19 Oct 2009 16:16

NELSON, Albert Head
Married16 years
M 38 1873 Lighterman Watchman Canning Town Essex VIEW
NELSON, Lavina Wife Married F 35 1876 General Provision Canning Town Essex VIEW
NELSON, Albert Son Single M 16 1895 Labourer General Canning Town Essex VIEW
NELSON, Frederick Son M 14 1897 Assistant In Boot Shop Canning Town Essex VIEW
NELSON, Beatrice Daughter F 12 1899 School Canning Town Essex VIEW
NELSON, Nelly Daughter F 8 1903 Canning Town Essex VIEW
NELSON, Ada Daughter F 7 1904 Canning Town Essex VIEW
NELSON, Horace Son M 4 1907 Canning Town Essex VIEW
MILLER, Nelly Servant F 14 1897 General Domestic Servant Canning Town Essex

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 19 Oct 2009 16:42

Stephen - Viv now subscribes for 1911 info, so she's given you the details so you don't need to go paying for them. Yay Viv. ;)

Freewheel - I think Stephen was one of the tenderfoots who thinks rellies will come out of the woodwork if they post here ...

Stephen - when was Horace Henry Nelson last known to be living, and where?

Leslie

Leslie Report 19 Oct 2009 17:55

New message to Janey

From Leslie Stephen

Hi Janey thanks for the spadework on my behalf.

let us get the curiosity out of the way first - it is worth it.

The daughter of Horace Henry Nelson and Lillian Harwood was my godmother - she was an only child and died in March this year. The hurry is that I am due to take up overseas duties again quite soon. We cannot find a will and so I am having to do an intestacy case for her estate.

The Harwood (my side) is a doddle and put to bed.

Unfortunately Horace seemed to be estranged from his family and we can find no trace of them in family diaries or correspondence. Therefore the Nelson branch of the family is where my urgency lies as I need to put this to bed soon.

I did not know the 1911 census can be accessed yet - but would love to find a path to it so I can see what else has popped ouit of the woodwork.

I handballed births from 1900 to 1910 and turned up a page and a half of them born in West Ham but it does nothing for proving links. Most were eliminated by those trees on here which belonged to branches from one line above.

thansk for your help.

Stephen

Leslie

Leslie Report 19 Oct 2009 17:57

New message to Debbie K (There is another Debbie)

From Leslie Stephen

Hi Debbie, thanks for the heads up on this.

it is my godmother who has died and I amtracking the male line as the will eludes us. Intestacy rules apply so tracking first cousins and their progeny.

thanks of for the help

Stephen

Leslie

Leslie Report 19 Oct 2009 18:12

Hi all,

I see the chase is as important as the lists so I will give a little background -some fo which I already had assimilated but now a serious framework and not skeletal until your collective help.

My godmother Pauline died in March and was an only child to Horace Henry Nelson and Winifred Harwood. She also died without having either natural or adoptive children. So that line ceases.

Horace died 23rd November 1980 of apoplexy while watching Corry. Winifred died in March 2007, aged 102.
They and Pauline (with husband in tow) lived at woodford green from about 1960 having moved there from Chigwell. If you know Woodford Green you know thehouse is woerth a few bob just by location. So the estate is worth something but we have not found a will, so intestacy rules apply.

Horace Henry appeared to be estranged fromkm his family and non-one attended either his or Winifred's funeral.

However, under the crazy laws of intestacy we are now having to look at the children of first cousins. Hence my venture into heir hunting.

Thanks everyone who has helped and I am sure my expenses would go to a cyberdrink if such a thing existed.

Best wishes

Stephen

Leslie

Leslie Report 19 Oct 2009 18:14

Hi Janey, just a little aside.

Life is a continuation of villages, either familial or professional.

I would have been daft not to have tried this posting as it flushed you into my life and that must be good.

Ever the infernal optimist.

Stephen

Leslie

Leslie Report 19 Oct 2009 18:20

Hi Freewheel,

you are absolutely correct and totally remiss of me in not showing basic good manners.

MAY I JUST THANK ALL YOU KIND FOLK WHO HAVE SHOVED ME VERY FIRMLY ON THE STRAIGHT AND NARROW IN MY SEARCH FOR THE ONLY NELSON LINE NOT CONNECTED TO ADMIRAL NELSON.

Best wishes all.

Stephen

FannyByGaslight

FannyByGaslight Report 19 Oct 2009 18:26

Hi Janey, just a little aside.

Life is a continuation of villages, either familial or professional.

I would have been daft not to have tried this posting as it flushed you into my life and that must be good.

HA HA ho ho...
I do love a good joke,you obviously havent had the benefit of Janeys tongue pie yet Stephen.

So we search for children of Henry Horaces siblings?yes?
Then their children ,yes?

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 19 Oct 2009 18:33

Oh, I get it. Or not ...

You said Horace was estranged from family, but you know the circumstances of his life and death?

So ... okay ... it's cousins of the intestate Pauline who are sought. Descendants of Horace Henry's siblings. The siblings he was estranged from and never referred to. Okay, I do get it.

So when you said your particular interest was HH, and we interpreted that as meaning it was his immediate family you were looking for - and that he was estranged from thta immediate family, his wife and child, and you suspected some other family somewhere - we, or at least I, got it backwards. Maybe just I.

Viv advises she may have traced the family of one sister. She'll send info by PM, I imagine.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 19 Oct 2009 18:40

Ah. I completely missed the nascent page 2 when I posted.

He was at risk, Viv, but it was headed off. ;)

(Oh, and I share your naval disappointment. Having just embarked on my quest to identify my gr-grfather some 5 years ago -- a tale well known to regulars here -- I discovered he had a sister, who married a Charles Henry Coke. Googling found me the Admiral Charles Henry Coke who was dispatched to the aid of the Lusitania. Greatness lay before me. And was snatched back when I found him being two years older than mine and having a completely separate existence ... and much later found mine to be one of those idle rich heirs of the prosperous who gambled it all away on the ponies and spent the rest of his life defrauding creditors, from what I can tell ...)

FannyByGaslight

FannyByGaslight Report 19 Oct 2009 18:44

So work isnt duplicated,I am following Nelly/Ellen

Births Mar 1903 (>99%)

Nelson Ellen Edith W. Ham 4a 110