Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Need help please

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Michelle

Michelle Report 26 Apr 2008 20:23

Hi, received marriage certificate of my great grandfather and the information for his father I have searched for and I've come up with nothing so wondered if anyone could help.

I have been looking for info on John Riches, father of George Robert Riches. John Riches was a Greengrocer and on his son George's marriage certificate there is the address 8 Queen's Road. I can't read John Riches middle name. George was married in 1900. The area would be Plaistow, West Ham. On the certificate are also the names in the presence of us: George Edward Wood and Augusta Eliza Wood. I am wondering if they are the parents/siblings of Esther Maud Wood who was marrying George Riches. If anyone can make sense of everything I've put and help in any way I would be very very grateful.

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 26 Apr 2008 20:27

Have you found them on any of the censuses?

Dea

Dea Report 26 Apr 2008 20:29

Have sent a pm.

Dea x

Lindylu

Lindylu Report 26 Apr 2008 21:00

What area are we looking in?

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 26 Apr 2008 22:28

1901 poss

Name: Esther Riches
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1881
Relation: Visitor
Where born: Plaistow, Essex, England

Civil Parish: West Ham
Ecclesiastical parish: St Mary
County/Island: Essex

Condition as to marriage: married

Registration district: West Ham
Sub registration district: Plaistow
ED, institution, or vessel: 7
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 116
Household Members: Name Age
Alfred Collins 2
Arthur Collins 4
Elizabeth Collins 29
Rose Collins 10
William Collins 31
William Collins 7
Alfred Firth 24
Esther Riches 20
George Riches 7 months
Albert Woods 15
Annie Woods 18
Arthur Woods 13
Harry Woods 2
Susan Woods 56 Wickford, Essex
William Woods 75 Billericay, Essex

Possible marriage for the witnesses
Marriages Mar 1899 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keeling Harry W. Ham 4a 244
Smith Augusta Eliza W.Ham 4a 244
Wedd Lilian W. Ham. 4a 244
Wood George Edward W. Ham 4a 244

How old is George Robert Riches on the marriage cert?

Michelle

Michelle Report 27 Apr 2008 15:24

Hi, thanks for helping. On the marriage certificate he is 24. Regards, Michelle

Dea

Dea Report 29 Apr 2008 13:51

Hi,

As you have tried several times to send me the cert and for some reason it will not arrive, I have resorted to a bit of 'digging'.

I have traced Georges father back to birth and I believe your cert would say John PLOW Riches.

Does it look as if this is correct?

Regards,

Dea x

P.S. - birth ref is:
Births Jun 1846
RICHES John __ow Loddon &c 13 212

John is easily followed back through census - his parents being John (a Miller), and Susannah. + other siblings.

IGI has a marriage but this is submitted so MUST be checked for accuracy:
JOHN RICHES Spouse: SUSAN PLOW
Marriage: 06 MAY 1834 Loddon, Norfolk, England

Dea x

PPPPS - I am curious now - What was your George doing in Wormwood Scrubs prison in 1901??

WWhhoo I sense another challenge coming on !

Dea x

Dea

Dea Report 29 Apr 2008 17:41

WOULD YOU BELIEVE IT ??????????

I have just received the cert you sent me on 26th April !! - I don't know what is happening here but I will probably receive several more over the next day or two.

Anyway, it has just 'squashed' what I had found as the middle name looks to me like 'Daniel' ??

I still think this all connects and I have found a Daniel who is probably related.

Have to cook tea now but will look again later.

Dea x

Eion

Eion Report 29 Apr 2008 19:11

Hi just a thought have you tried email to [email protected] riches are our main name in tree she has this on computer . sue is my daughter
Eion

Dea

Dea Report 29 Apr 2008 19:32

Looking again, the middle name 'could' be David?

Dea x

Dea

Dea Report 30 Apr 2008 07:33

It looks as if John called his first male child John Daniel so perhaps this is more likely?

Births Jun 1874
Riches John Daniel Auckland 10a 294
- This area includes Eldon, Durham which was mentioned on census page in 1881 against his sister Eleanor's name but she appears to have been born in Norfolk:

Births Dec 1872
Riches Eleanor Mary Loddon 4b 216

Looks like they got them the wrong way round?

Dea x

Dea

Dea Report 30 Apr 2008 07:59

BEWARE !!

There are TWO John Riches - the one I mentioned above John Plow Riches is NOT the one you want, although born at the right time and place !!!

Ancestry won't let me in at the moment to I can't check further but I will find the correct details for you later.

Dea x

Michelle

Michelle Report 30 Apr 2008 09:24

Thank you Dea. I am also curious as to why George Riches was in Wormwood Scrubs. I found that out a while back but couldn't find anything out. Maybe you have more resources than me. Thank you for all your help and if you find anything else out please let me know. The middle name of John looks like Daniel to me. Will be back on here later. Regards, Michelle

Michelle

Michelle Report 30 Apr 2008 09:28

Actually just looked he was 23!

Michelle

Michelle Report 30 Apr 2008 09:34

I hope George wasn't in Prison for anything horrible. My mum will be devastated!

Michelle

Michelle Report 30 Apr 2008 09:41

I think I've found the street address for John Riches family. Row 49, No5, Yarmouth?

Dea

Dea Report 30 Apr 2008 09:49

I have that street address in my scribbles somewhere - where did you get this from and what year?

Dea x

Angela

Angela Report 30 Apr 2008 10:06

Hi Michelle,

Check out the following -

http://www.blacksheepindex.co.uk/BSI-ReyRic.pdf

There is a George Riches on there (Salmon Rd, Plaistow age 20) could be your man - whatever offence it was took place in 1897.

I think it costs about £6.00 to send for the newspaper clipping.

Regards

Angie

Dea

Dea Report 30 Apr 2008 11:01

Hi Angie,

That's useful - I had a look on the site but couldn't find my way around very well.

I found the entry you mentioned but couldn't work out what to do with it (I am useless on new sites!)

Does it tell you which paper the article is in as I have access to a few online?

Thanks,

Dea x

Angela

Angela Report 30 Apr 2008 11:15

HI,

Make a note of the details for Mr Riches.

If you go in to the black sheep index where the alphabetical listings are you will see highlighted in red prices/order form click on it, print off the form fill in the details and send it off with your cheque - they will send you a copy of the clipping - mine took about a week to arrive.

Regard

Angie