Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to Find

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margot

Margot Report 5 Jul 2008 10:30

ARTHUR GRANVILLE ADAM is a research interest of mine. Born in Fife, Scotland, and married to Gertrude Emilie Jones in Shropshire in 1885.

Margot

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 5 Jul 2008 10:32

Margot

What exactly is it you want to know?

If your looking for Arthurs birth you need to be looking at ...

www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

This is a pay to view site but you could also ask for a look up on the 'Records' board.

Gerri x

Lindylu

Lindylu Report 5 Jul 2008 10:55

Do you have their marriage cert? What was his fathers name?

England & Wales, FreeBMD Marriage Index: 1837-1983
about Arthur Granville Adam
Name: Arthur Granville Adam
Year of Registration: 1885
Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec
District: Newport S
County: Shropshire, Staffordshire
Volume: 6a
Page: 1491

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 5 Jul 2008 11:36

There is a tree on Ancestry which gives Gertrude as dying in Australia in 1895

BUT that tree claims that Arthur was born 1867 Islington

Will be following this thread as Islington and Fife are quite a distance apart !!!

Lindylu

Lindylu Report 5 Jul 2008 19:50

could he have gone to Australia?

Australian Electoral Rolls, 1901-1936
about Arthur Granville Adam
Name: Arthur Granville Adam
Electoral Year: 1901
State: Western Australia
District: Coolgardie
Subdistrict: Laverton

As Glitter Baby told you, the person on Ancestry has Arthur as being born in Islington.

This particular Arthur went on to marry

Vivian Frances Morrison in 1900

Location Claremont, Western Australia

Lindylu

Lindylu Report 5 Jul 2008 19:53

Some feedback from margot would be very helpful here!

Margot

Margot Report 7 Jul 2008 07:15

OOH, I did it again (sorry Reggie!!)

Sent this to Linda instead of thru the RIGHT channel. Forgive me please?

Hi Linda
Sorry to have not got back to you before..........
Many thanks for the details given for Arthur Adam.
Arthurs marriage certs say he was born in 'Fifeshire, Scotland'. Have subscribed to scotlandspeople on several occasions in the past couple of years, but can't trace a birth cert. for him. Until I have that I can't get details of his family. It's very odd - the only time he appears on UK Census is in the details of his marriage to Gertrude Jones in 1885. His age was 31, which puts his birthdate at about 1855, so I think the Arthur from Islington, is not him. Perhaps he changed his name?

Regards
Margot

Margot

Margot Report 7 Jul 2008 07:17

Many thanks to all for advice and suggestions.

Regards, Margot

Dea

Dea Report 7 Jul 2008 07:37

What other details are on the wedding cert?

Place, addresses, father's names, witnesses, occupations?

Please give full detail if you want us to help.

Dea x

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 7 Jul 2008 08:40

Re>> "Arthurs marriage certs say he was born in 'Fifeshire, Scotland'."

Where on a Marriage cert does it say where a person was born?...or have i lost the plot?

Gerri x

Lindylu

Lindylu Report 7 Jul 2008 09:02

Mrs Bucket but §till Lòóking for Boookay

Duh!! Why didnt I notice that!! Birth details dont get put on a marriage cert do they? Or have I lost the plot as well!

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 7 Jul 2008 10:55

Even more interested in this one now as the plot thickens.

Margot,
What details can you give us from the 1885 marriage cert? Does it give an occupation for Arthur? Does it name a father and his occupation and state whether deceased?

Any piece of information however small just might be the clue.

Maureen

Margot

Margot Report 8 Jul 2008 05:44

Hi all
Many thanks for replies.
You are right, Mrs Bucket and Lindylu, on the marriage cert to Gertrude Emilie Jones on 22/12/1885, in the registration district of Newport, in the Parish of St George's in the County of Shropshire, Arthur Granville Adam's place of birth doesn't appear.
On the marriage certs, of his two marriages in Australia, it states that he was born in 'Fifeshire, Scotland'.
On the English certificate he is 31yo and he is described as being a Bachelor, Gentleman, residing in Stockwell, and his father's name was William and he was Captain. The witnesses are Gordon Adam, George Jones, Edwin Jones and AJ Greene.
On his second marr. cert, to Frances Viviain Morrison, in Claremont, Western Australia, in 1900, he is described as Widower, Boat Proprietor, and his father William, and his profession as Army Captain. His mother being described as Emily Robertson. Witnesses ? Bruce Murrie, Edmund ?Howard.
The third to Edith Mabel de Pury on 3/9/1912 in Norwood, South Australia, he is described as Widower, Veterinary Surgeon. The witnesses are Ellena A de Pury and J R de Pury.
I have birth certs of several of Arthur's children and his place of birth states, Fifeshire, Scotland, and on his death cert. in 1920 in Port Augusta in South Australia also.
Arthur's father isn't described as deceased on any of the certificates, although that isn't necessarily true.

Trust that this isn't too much information.

Regards, Margot

Dea

Dea Report 8 Jul 2008 07:50

Thanks Margot - every bit of info helps!

I am tempted to follow this one, though not getting any further yet so I will post it for info :

1891:
Name: William Adam
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1820
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Mary A
Where born: London, Middlesex, England

Civil Parish: Ashford Bowdler
Ecclesiastical parish: Ashford Bowdler
County/Island: Shropshire

Street address:

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Employment status: View Image

Registration district: Ludlow
Sub registration district: Cainham
ED, institution, or vessel: 1
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Gordon Adam 42 .........? witness at marriage ???
Mary A Adam 57
William Adam 71 ..........Retired army officer !!
Francis Anderson 57
Mary Charrier 23
John Henry 69
James Powell 21
Millie Taylor 48
William D Taylor 68
Emma Wall 26
Fanny Wall 15

Source Citation: Class: RG12; Piece: 2082; Folio 6; Page 5; GSU roll: 6097192.

I think it is at least worth following for a while - the father William seems to fit - The family is 'well to do', which would fit with Arthur described as 'gent' on wedding cert - Also there is a Gordon - (one of the witnesses)

The mother is not an Emily but Mary A looks like a 2nd marriage according to her age?

This time the family are said to have been born London, Middlesex. - I will try and work backwards with them though not having much luck so far!

What do you think?

Dea x

Lindylu

Lindylu Report 8 Jul 2008 09:56

Looks like we may actually get somewhere with this now we have more info Margot, I do hope so. Of course if he was in the Army he may have married his first wife abroad (just to make life a little harder!)

Margot

Margot Report 8 Jul 2008 11:49

Hi Dea

Many thanks for all the info posted. It certainly does sound as if this William might be mine.
Can you please tell me what a GSU Roll is?

Regards, Margot

Dea

Dea Report 8 Jul 2008 12:45

Sorry - I havn't the 'foggiest' but it is included in the reference for the image shown on the Ancestry site!

I am sure someone on here will know.

I have found a couple of possible marriages but I think it will only confuse to post them now as I can't prove a connection.

Can you confirm that it does say EMILY Robertson on that cert as Arthur's mother?

Could it possibly be Amelia or Emelia?

I can find no births for Arthur or Gordon Adam in London but will keep trying to follow my theories through until I find something which makes sense.

Let me know about that 'Emily' name as it could be important.

Dea x

Margot

Margot Report 8 Jul 2008 14:53

Hi Dea

Thank you for your continued interest.

Yes, the cert. definitely says Emily Robertson.

Regards
Margot

Margot

Margot Report 8 Jul 2008 14:57

Hi Dea

PS Can you please tell me how you deduced that the William Adam family were 'well to do'. (see your msg of 07.50.

Margot

Dea

Dea Report 8 Jul 2008 15:11

O.K.They are living in what appears to be a large house in a very small village in Shropshire - they come from London, so perhaps??? a second home?

William is a Retired Army Officer - Captain
He has a younger (second?) wife.
Gordon (his son) is 'Living on his own means' - which means he doesn't need to have a job!
Visitors Francis Anderson - Solicitor (quite a prestigious post in those days)
Visitors - William Taylor + Millie - living on own means

Servants:
John Henry - Farm Servant
James Powell - Groom
Emma Wall - Cook
Fanny Wall - Kitchenmaid
Mary Charrier - Housemaid

That certainly looks 'well to do' by my standards?

Dea x