Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Sambrooks look up please? :)

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kirsty

Kirsty Report 10 Nov 2008 02:10

I wondered if someone might be able to give me a few pointers? I am doing ok with my Dad's side of the family but my Mum's side just draws a blank everywhere I look! Any ideas? Thank you very much :)

I am looking for Jean Sambrooks, born roughly 1946, Edith Sambrooks born roughly 1906 and maybe Neil Sambrooks born roughly 1946 (give or take a few years, sorry not more exact).

Thank you!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 10 Nov 2008 03:28

Kirsty,

You only need to post this once. It's also on Tips and Trying to Find. Please delete 2 of your messages.

There's a Jean born Birmingham in 1946. Is this your mother? I can't make out the middle initial. It could be an E. Mother's maiden name is Spooner.

Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 10 Nov 2008 03:30

Who is Edith? Is she Jean's mother? If so, should we be looking for Edith Spooner?

Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 10 Nov 2008 03:32

England & Wales, Death Index: 1984-2005
about Edith May Sambrooks
Name: Edith May Sambrooks
Birth Date: 5 Dec 1906
Death Registration Month/Year: Jan 2005
Age at death (estimated): 98
Registration district: Birkenhead
Inferred County: Cheshire
Register number: B18C
District and Subdistrict: 037/1B
Entry Number: 267

Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 10 Nov 2008 03:34

That death corresponds with this birth:

Births Mar 1907
Spooner Edith May Birmingham 6d 99

Buy this to get the parents.

Rose

Kirsty

Kirsty Report 10 Nov 2008 18:18

That's her, thank you Rose. I don't fully understand what you mean by buy this to get the parents? Is this where the records credits come into play? I haven;t bought any yet as I see they only last for seven days and I have a busy week of work ahead so feel I might not get to use them in time.

Thanks again for your help. And yes it's Edith Spooner.

jerseylily

jerseylily Report 10 Nov 2008 18:23

Rose means buy a copy of the birth certificate which will give you the names of the parents.
DON'T buy it through this site, order it from the GRO (General Register Office) It will cost you £7

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 10 Nov 2008 18:34

Do you need to buy your mother's birth cert. too to get her father?

Rose

Kirsty

Kirsty Report 10 Nov 2008 19:39

I have my grandparent's names, Edith Spooner and George Sambrooks. 1907 I think for birth years. Interestingly my Nan always told us she was born on 5th December 1907 (I think, maybe 1906), not March as her look up suggests? Or is that just when she was registered?

Thanks for the advice about birth certificates. I will have to locate their parents that way. (once I have worked out when they were actually born!)

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 10 Nov 2008 21:12

March was the quarter when the birth was registered.

However was the informant at her death put down 1906. Do you know who that would have been?

Rose

Kirsty

Kirsty Report 10 Nov 2008 22:27

Oh yes sorry, it was 1906 :S I got muddled. It would have been my Mum who informed them of her death. So if I buy her birth certificate I should be able to access her parents details some how? Is that correct? I am very new to this and have done ok so far with my Dad's side of the family but my Mum's is a lot harder!

Thanks again.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 11 Nov 2008 00:46

Kirsty,

Ideally, you'd want to get Edith's marriage cert. first to confirm things like age and father.

The birth cert will contain parent's names and father's occupation. Then, you can look for them on a census if they were married in 1901 or look to order their marriage cert.

Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 11 Nov 2008 00:49

Order certs here for £7:

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

Rose

Kirsty

Kirsty Report 11 Nov 2008 01:16

Thank you Rose. This is a rather expensive business isn't it!

I have now confirmed Edith May Spooner was born on 5th December 1906 and died in January 2005.

I will use that to order a cert as soon as I can.

Thanks for all your help :)

Kirsty

Kirsty Report 11 Nov 2008 23:55

Hello again :)

I wondered if someone could confirm if it is possible to order a marriage certificate without knowing the year of marriage?

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 12 Nov 2008 01:31

You mean Edith's marriage?

Do you know when the first child was born then we can look for the reference.

Rose

Kirsty

Kirsty Report 12 Nov 2008 01:34

Yes Edith's marriage.

Do you mean Edith's first born child?

Thank you :)

Kirsty

Kirsty Report 12 Nov 2008 01:37

Hmm....also says it's costing me £10 per birth cert? Do you have any idea why that is?

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 12 Nov 2008 01:46

You don't have the reference?

Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 12 Nov 2008 01:47

Yes, Edith's first child. Gives us a clue as to when to look for the marriage. Can be time consuming otherwise.

Rose