Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

A LITTLE MYSTERY I CANT WORK OUT.....

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sophie

Sophie Report 6 Mar 2009 20:50

HI ALL

IM TRYING TO FIND OUT MORE ABOUT MY GG GRANDFATHERS FAMILY BUT IS GETTIN TO BE A BIT ANNOYING AS I CANT SEEM TO FIND WHAT I WANT......

MY GG GRANDFATHER FRED TIPPING WAS BORN IN 1895 IN BUCKINGHAMSHIRE TO A CHARLES TIPPING (B.1869) AND RHODA PEARCE (B.1875); THE THING IS I HAVENT BEEN ABLE 2 FIND THEM ON THE 1901 CENSUS OR THE 1911 CENSUS.

NOW I HAPPEN TO HAVE COME ACROSS ANOTHER MARRIAGE DATE FOR A RHODA TIPPING TO AN ANDREW BYRON IN 1918 IN ETON; I ASSUMED THIS WAS MY RHODA AS THERE ARNT MANY TIPPINGS IN THE BUCKINGHAM AREA; (TIPPING IS NOT A COMMON NAME); SO, ....I BROUGHT THE MARRIAGE CERT AND IT CAME TODAY; AND I FIND THAT IT IS MY RHODA; THE AGE IS RIGHT AND THE ADDRESS AT TIME OF MARRIAGE IS CORRECT BECAUSE HER SON FRED MARRIES 4 YEARS LATER AND HE IS AT THE SAME ADDRESS.

ON THS MARRIAGE CERT IT SAYS THAT RHODAS A WIDOW; SO CHARES HAS OBVIOUSLY DIED; I LOOK FOR A DEATH FOR CHARLES BEFORE 1918 AND CANT FIND ONE AT ALL. THATS NOT WHAT CONCERNS ME THOU; WHEN HER SON FRED MARRIES FOR YEARS LATER AFTER HER, HIS MARRAGE CERT STATES THAT HIS FATHER CHARLES TIPPING IS A PLATELAYER........BUT IF HE HAD DIED WUDNT IT STATE THAT HIS FATHER WAS DECEASED???......RHODA IS A WIDOW IN 1918 YET FRED MARRIAGE CERT DOESNT STATE THAT HIS FATHER IS DEAD?....I DONT KNOW WHAT TO THINK OR DO AS I HAVET BEEN ABLE 2 FIND ANY TRACE OF CHARLES'S DEATH ANYWHERE; THE FAMILY DONT APPEAR ON ANY CENSUS AFTER 1891.......ITS RACKING MY BRAIN IN CONFUSIN......

I DONT KNOW WHAT TO THINK ABOUT THIS SITUATION, CAN ANYBODY HELP AT ALL????

SOPHIE

Sophie

Sophie Report 6 Mar 2009 21:09

NO THATS DEFINTLY NOT HIM; HE NEVER HAD A MIDDLE NAME AND ASSUMING THAT RHODA WAS STILL LIVING IN BUCKINGHAM WHEN SHE REMARRIED; CHARLES WOULD HAVE BEEN LIVING IN THE SAME AREA AS WELL....SO IM ASSUMING THAT HE DIED IN BUCKINGHAM TOO.....THE 1901 AND 1911 CENSUS MIGHT SHED SOME LIGHT BUT THE FAMILY IS NOT ON EITHER CENSUS...ITS LIKE IF THEY DISSAPPEARED..

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 6 Mar 2009 21:20

How do you know he never had a middle name?

Have you seen his baptism certificate or the parish register???

Many children were given only one name on the birth certificate ....... but a second name would be added at baptism. They then may not use that name again.

Secondly ........ it is not unusual to find "deceased" missing on a marriage certificate

Just as it is not uncommon to find the name of a father who didn't actually exist because the child was illegitimate but thought a name in that column "looked better'.

As a side note ..... please could you type in ordinary upper and lower case??? Using all caps is often taken as shouting in the internet world, but more importantly many people (including me) find it much harder to read!

sylvia

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 6 Mar 2009 21:21

Also, have you tried all possible variants for thei names, including completely the wrong name before saying they are not on either the 1901 or 1911 censuses.

It is absolutely amazing what the enumerators and the transcribers can do to a name!!

sylvia

Sophie

Sophie Report 6 Mar 2009 21:23

Oh...rite sori.....i wont type like that then....

Sophie

Sophie Report 6 Mar 2009 21:50

well ive tried typin in different sounding names on the census but still no luck.....i know charles would ave been workin on the railway.

Penny

Penny Report 6 Mar 2009 21:57

where was Rhoda born

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 6 Mar 2009 22:04

could this be her maybe they were not married

1911 census: person search results
1 results found. You searched for:
First names RHODA
First names Algorithm Exact
Last names PEARCE
Last names Algorithm Exact
Birth Year 1876
Birth Year +/- 2 years
County Buckinghamshire

Is one of these the household you were searching for? You can now either view a transcript (new window) or an original household page (new window). To do this you will need to buy credits.
Search again
Transcripts are 10 credits and original pages are 30 credits. You will not be charged for transcripts or original pages that you have already purchased and are in your "my records".

Schedule type Last names First names Sex Birth year Age in 1911 District / other County / other Transcript Original page
HOUSEHOLD PEARCE RHODA ANN F 1876 35 Wycombe Buckinghamshire

Penny

Penny Report 6 Mar 2009 22:06

if so, this could be her birth

Births Jun 1875

Pearce Rhoda Wycombe 3a 498

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 6 Mar 2009 22:06

son Fred?
HOUSEHOLD PEARCE FRED M 1899 12 Wycombe Buckinghamshire

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 6 Mar 2009 22:11

Does she have a sister Mary born 1866 when I use the tip that is on the boards to access the census Mary comes up as staying at the same address as Fred

Sophie

Sophie Report 6 Mar 2009 22:14

ok this is reli weird, ive just looked on the 1911 census for a fred tipping and found a couple called harry and rhoda cox living in buckngham....ive looked into the record, the fred tipping is the exact match; it says that he is the son of the wife rhoda which would make sense..with the same place of birth..the mother has the same name age and place of birth but her name is rhoda cox and is living with husband harry cox??....where is charles???..it says that they have been married for 7 years?...how can her name be cox?..if her latter marriage says her first married name tipping?...plus the husband harry cox has the same occupation which is the exact same as the one given on the marriage cert of fred tippings for freds father charles??....this is reli weird now; also it states a daughter of rhoda with a different name....jeskins??

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 6 Mar 2009 22:14

1881?

Household:

Name Relation Marital Status Gender Age Birthplace Occupation Disability
Charles PEARCE Head M Male 40 West Wycombe, Buckingham, England Farm Labourer
Ann PEARCE Wife M Female 41 Great Marlow, Buckingham, England
Jane PEARCE Daur U Female 16 Great Marlow, Buckingham, England Chair Caner
Annie PEARCE Daur Female 14 Great Marlow, Buckingham, England Lace Maker
Charles PEARCE Son Male 13 Great Marlow, Buckingham, England Farm Servant
Ada PEARCE Daur Female 10 Great Marlow, Buckingham, England Scholar
Albert PEARCE Son Male 6 West Wycombe, Buckingham, England Scholar
Rhoda PEARCE Daur Female 3 West Wycombe, Buckingham, England Scholar

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source Information:
Dwelling Booker
Census Place West Wycombe, Buckingham, England
Family History Library Film 1341355
Public Records Office Reference RG11
Piece / Folio 1468 / 10
Page Number 14

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 6 Mar 2009 22:20

The marraige in 1893 would make her only 13 !!!!

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 6 Mar 2009 22:22

All Rhoda Pearce's showing in 1911
Schedule type Last names First names Sex Birth year Age in 1911 District / other County / other Transcript Original page
HOUSEHOLD PEARCE RHODA F 1902 9 Amersham Buckinghamshire
HOUSEHOLD PEARCE RHODA F 1846 65 Amersham Buckinghamshire
HOUSEHOLD PEARCE RHODA ANN F 1876 35 Wycombe Buckinghamshire
Have you definately got the right one as the one it looks like the one in the middle may tie up with the marraige going by the district

Sophie

Sophie Report 6 Mar 2009 22:27

Rhoda was born 1875 in missenden, buckinghamshire; now from what ive just founf out on the 1911 census i thought ill have a look on the 1901 census...ive looked for a rhoda cox....nothin....so i thought id look for this daughter rhoda jeskins..........bingo....found a rhoda jeskins born 1898 in buckingham mother is a rhoda jeskins?...head of house is a herbert jeskins??? no fred to be seen...or even charles.....im very confuse now......

Sophie

Sophie Report 6 Mar 2009 22:29

No she was 18 when she married in 1893...she was born in 1875...charles tipping was born in 1869 so he was 24 at the time of the marriage.....and the one i found is defiently her because it states a fred tipping living with her....son of wife....it states the specific place of where he was born which matches freds birth cert.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 6 Mar 2009 22:29

ok so this could be them in 1881

Household:

Name Relation Marital Status Gender Age Birthplace Occupation Disability
Charles PEARCE Head M Male 40 Lt Missenden, Buckingham, England Chair Turner
Rhoda PEARCE Wife M Female 35 Hughenden, Buckingham, England Lace Maker
William PEARCE Son Male 14 Lt Missenden, Buckingham, England Chair Turner
Caroline PEARCE Daur Female 11 Lt Missenden, Buckingham, England Scholar
George PEARCE Son Male 9 Hughenden, Buckingham, England Scholar
Rhoda PEARCE Daur Female 6 Lt Missenden, Buckingham, England Scholar
Elizabeth PEARCE Daur Female 2 Lt Missenden, Buckingham, England

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source Information:
Dwelling The Common
Census Place Little Missenden, Buckingham, England
Family History Library Film 1341355
Public Records Office Reference RG11
Piece / Folio 1467 / 37
Page Number 5

Sophie

Sophie Report 6 Mar 2009 22:39

yeh thats her

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 6 Mar 2009 22:53