Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Helen Lochrie

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaret

Margaret Report 9 May 2009 15:03

Loking for birth of Helen Lochrie who married William Daily 19/1/1845 gorbals glasgow(fromIGI) the only birth I've found in IGI or SP is of oneborn 30/9/1834 Old monkland lanark. which would make her 11 on Marriage! so obviously not the right one.can anyone help? thanks margaret

Helen

Helen Report 9 May 2009 18:52

Scottish official marriage certificates started in 1855 .... these would have registered ages.

Prior to that it would be Old Parish Records which were church registers ... no ages would have been recorded.

Helen

Helen Report 9 May 2009 19:02

This is Helen Lochrie/Daily from the 1851 census and she says she was born c.1826

1851 Scotland Census
about Ellen Daily
Name: Ellen Daily
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1826
Relationship: Wife
Spouse's name: William
Where born: Glasgow, Lanarksh
Parish Number: 644/2
Civil Parish: Gorbals
County: Lanarkshire
Address: 41 Rutherglen Loan
ED: 35
Page: 8 (click to see others on page)
Household schedule number: 30
Line: 7
Roll: CSSCT1851_164
Household Members:
Name Age
William Daily 30
Ellen Daily 25
Wm Daily 4
Peter Daily 9 Mo
Hannah Duncan 19
Peter Duncan 50

Not all children were baptised and Helen may have been one of those.

Or she may have been baptised in one of the other churches (ie. Baptist, Episcopalian or Free church) ... not part of the established church which was the Church of Scotland.

Most of the baptisms found on the IGI and Scotlandspeople will be from the established church records.

Margaret

Margaret Report 10 May 2009 09:24

Thanks for your help it's much appreciated. Margaret

Margaret

Margaret Report 10 May 2009 13:01

Thanks rootgatherer.I have already tried scotlandspeople but no luck with births ,mariages or deaths.Will give 1841 census a go and let you know how I get on.regards Margaret

Margaret

Margaret Report 10 May 2009 13:15

no luck with 1841 census,only 1 result ( after expanding ages to 40 in the hope that her mother was also called helen and I could catch them both) and that was for a 3year old-not quite ready for marriage in 1845 age 7!!
Thanks anyway for your help. regards Margaret

Helen

Helen Report 10 May 2009 15:27

Just for Interest:

1841 Scotland Census
about Widow Lochrie
Name: Widow Lochrie
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1771
Where born: Ireland

Civil Parish: Gorbals
Address: Rutherglen Loan
Parish Number: 644/2
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Widow Lochrie 70
William Lochrie 15

It's interesting to see the address from this census .... it matches up with the following 1851 census for William and Helen.

Can't see Helen in the 1841 census but her name may have been mistranscribed.

Not many Lochrie's to be found in Glasgow ... or Scotland in the 1841 census.

Margaret

Margaret Report 11 May 2009 18:01

Thanks Helen and Rootgatherer you are a great help and it is much appreciated.
I only have 41(Wm), 51 and 61(WmandHelen) census results.Have not been able to find any others
.I have IGI for william which only shows the marriage date
Have not been able to find any birth or death results either so far but I'll keep trying.
Your information and suggestions are very helpful.Thanks again Margaret

Margaret

Margaret Report 11 May 2009 18:30

have just found william's death cert. under Daly.he died12/2/1867 age 45,address 12 bedford Lane.ParentsSimon Daly and AgnesDaly m.s. Cameron.Can't find Helen yet so maybe she did remarry but I'll keeep trying.Regards margaret.just found mar.cert. for Wm.Lochrie in 1861 hoping to get the Wm in41 census.this Wm however was only26 at marriage so it can't be the same one.Strangely tho' his address was 14 Rutherglen Loan same st. as census.Anyone got any more ideas?Thanks margaret

Margaret

Margaret Report 12 May 2009 12:09

Strangely I was at the mitchell yesterday checking the poor law records.Had no luck with Wm or Helen.I'll try again using some dif. spellings etc.when I go to collect copies of some other people's records I ordered.Will give your wild card idea a go too for Helen's death record etc.I only have census up to 61. haven't been able to find any others yet but will try your idea of using the brothers.Will let you know how I get on.Thanks for your help.I really appreciate it.Regards Margaret

Helen

Helen Report 12 May 2009 12:23

Depending on how eager you are to find Helen's death and hopefully her parents names is to:

Book into the genealogy centre in Glasgow (long waiting list)

or go through to Edinburgh GRO and just wade your way through all the possible deaths for Helen Daillie (with name variations)

I've searched the 1871 and 1881 census using all the tricks I can think of regarding names, ages, birthplaces etc and can't find any of them in 1871 but a possible for 1881.

Possible, but doesn't tell you much to verify.

1881 Scotland Census
about Mrs. Daily
Name: Mrs. Daily
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1821
Relationship: Head
Where born: Glasgow, Lanarkshire
Registration Number: 644/12
Registration district: Gorbals
Civil Parish: Glasgow Gorbals
ED: 45
Household schedule number: 23
Line: 22
Roll: cssct1881_247
Household Members:
Name Age
Mrs. Daily 60
Margaret McNeil 74
Alex Mayor 28
Ellen Mayor 26
William Mayor 5
Ellen Mayor 3
Agnes Mayor 2
Alexander Mayor Under 1 Mo

Margaret

Margaret Report 12 May 2009 13:03

thanks Helen the 1881 census result you found looks very interesting.It looks a very possible match. The mrs Daly could be helen lochrie.Ellen could be her daughter and alex, could be her husband alex.Mair. Wm age 8 fits with info I have on their family(from 1891 census) .Theother names I have were all born after 1881. These include anAlex.(MyG grandfather) b.1888 and an ellen/helen b.abt.1887.So if this is the right family i would assume that the Alex. and Ellen mentioned in the census died young.I have no info about Agnes.I feel I have seen the name Mc neil somewhere so will have to search through my "jigsaw" box!! Thanks again, your help is much appreciated.Regards Margaret

Helen

Helen Report 12 May 2009 13:15

I've had another look into the 1881 census and you are right in thinking the Mayors are family.

Ellen: Daughter
Alex: Son in law
Children: Grandchildren

Margaret McNeil is a Boarder and she comes from Ireland.

At least from this census, you know Helen is still alive at this point and this helps narrow down her death date.

I've had a look for her in the 1891 census ... and as far as I can see, she is not registered.

Margaret

Margaret Report 12 May 2009 13:22

Thanks Helen.your quick reply took me by surprise as I had just edited my last response to mention91 census. Glad you feel that the 81 is right and it gives me a better chanceof finding out more about helen.Once again thanks for all your help. Will let you know how I get on.Regards Margaret

Margaret

Margaret Report 13 May 2009 15:44

Brilliant Rootgatherer-I had quite a lot of the info you have given me but you have filled quite a few gaps for me.I really appreciate your help. The spellings of names can be a nightmare.I have found some of my Mairs under Muir but this is a first for Mayor.I've been plugging away at Helenstill but not getting very far.Ifound aHelen Lochore in 1841 census age 15 living in parliament Rd with James Neilson 65,margaret Neilson 60 ,John lochore 11 Lean Lochore 9 and David Paterson 70. It looks a bit like children living with grandparents .don't really think it's my Helen but it's an interesting way of spelling Lochrie! Thanks again, you and Helen have been great. will keep you posted.margaret

Helen

Helen Report 13 May 2009 18:27

Just wondering if you might have any McCann's in your extended research. This might be Ellen Daly visiting overnight.

1891 Scotland Census
about Ellen Daly
Name: Ellen Daly
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1829
Relationship: Visitor
Where born: Glasgow, Lanarkshire -
Registration Number: 644/11
Registration district: Hutchesontown
Civil Parish: Glasgow Govan
Address: 55 So Wellington St
ED: 52
Household schedule number: 84
Line: 5
Roll: CSSCT1891_287
Household Members:
Name Age
John McCann 64
Joseph McCann 30
Ellen Daly 62

John Mc Cann was born in Ireland.

Again, we're in the Gorbals / Hutchesontown area of Glasgow.

Helen

Helen Report 13 May 2009 18:35

Just for interest and reference: Here is John McCann in the 1881 census.

1881 Scotland Census
about John McCann
Name: John McCann
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1830
Relationship: Head
Spouse's name : Ellen
Where born: Ireland
Registration Number: 644/12
Registration district: Gorbals
Civil Parish: Glasgow Gorbals
Address: 179 Main St
ED: 43
Household schedule number: 47
Line: 15
Roll: cssct1881_247
Household Members:
Name Age
John McCann 51
Ellen McCann 54
John McCann 23
Joseph McCann 20
Mary McCann 16

In 1871 this family were living in the Calton.
In 1861 they were living off the Gallowgate.

Margaret

Margaret Report 13 May 2009 20:04

Rootgatherer Unfortunately I haven't been able to find Helen Mair's death cert. I got the info from a poor law record for her son Alexander and also on copies of case notes and post mortem from Woodilee where she died.Nothing mentioned in either about her parents. I got their names from her marriage cert..
Helen so far I haven't found any Mc Canns in my research. However her name along with the area look hopeful.maybe Helen was born in Ireland and the families connected in some way. Also occupation of carter was very common in my branch of Mairs so maybe a connection there.the only thing is age she was 60 in 81 census and 62 in 91 although I know they rounded them and sometimes it was just a rough guess.
will continue plugging away meantime Thanks for all your help and ideas. will keep you posted Margaret

Helen

Helen Report 13 May 2009 20:32

Margaret,

I know what you mean regarding the difference in birth years for Helen. So far, she has given 1821 … 1826 and now possibly 1829.

Just say for talking sake she IS the person in the 1891 census .. born 1829.

I had a look on Scotlandspeople for Helen Lochrie / Daillie (with variations on Daillie) between 1891 and 1901.

There was one came up for:

Helen Lochrie (Couldn’t get the name Daillie as a cross reference)
Died: 1898
Hutchesontown
Glasgow

Had a look into the index to see if there was another name mentioned.

Found: Helen Lochrie / Cole
No age given … but obviously if she had two names mentioned that must mean she had been married.

If this was my own research, I think I’d be tempted to have a look at the certificate so see who had registered the death and where the death took place.
Also to have a proper look at the name Cole to satisfy myself it really was Cole and not mistranscribed.

Might not come to anything and I know it costs credits, but you never know.

Helen

Helen Report 13 May 2009 21:01

Margaret,

Think I've found the death for Helen Mair

Helen Mair
County: Dunbarton
District: Kirkintilloch

If Helen died in Woodilee, that would come under the Dunbarton area.